Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 171

Thread: Trump to end liability protections for "social media outlets" with Executive Order

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    I do think more has to be done to protect our rights online, we're in danger of a permanent technological dictatorship if this is allowed to continue.
    Ya, I really like freedom, but the freedom to be ruled by tech giants sure doesn't sound like the freedom I was hoping for.

    As much as I like the idea of competition to solve this, it doesn't seem that there is fair competition in social media companies as they are conjoined and often funded by government.

    So there is a legitimate argument that these sites should be free speech areas, if they are arms of the government.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

    "Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    "Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...trump-postingsThis is actually backdoor legislation to allow lawsuits against websites like RPF, where inconvenient speech is still allowed and not (usually) censored.
    Who gave the Narcissist-in-Chief the authority to rewrite legislation?
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

    Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous



  4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  5. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Trump should use Gab or some other alternative. It would be the single biggest action that could be taken to introduce some competition to the current popular social media cabal.
    Absolutely. He wouldn't need to regulate social media (which is a really creepy precedent to set anyway). And a good number of people would definitely migrate to that new platform if he were there. Of course, there's the danger that Gab could be compromised so he might want to have accounts at multiple places, which could be confusing for people.

  6. #34
    This site is far more at risk of being kicked off its hosting service by some corporate entity than it is the government shutting it down. I believe Gab has been kicked off a number of different hosts and its fairly closely associated with Nazi LARPers, making your own platform doesn't work online.

  7. #35


    Too many fake news tweets.
    No executive order will ever make Americans believe them.


    Every American should sue Donnell for the fake news reparations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

  8. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Who gave the Narcissist-in-Chief the authority to rewrite legislation?
    Lol did you even click? It says in the article you linked Trump was signing an executive order but Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) said today that he is working with Republican members of the House Judiciary Committee to craft legislation

  9. #37
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cleaner44's Avatar


    Blog Entries
    4
    Posts
    8,504
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    With each passing day lately, it is something new Trump is saying or doing that makes me believe he trying really hard to lose in November. This election should be a cake walk for him if he just stuck to what he ran on instead of continually betraying his base and things like this.

    H-1B immigration during a pandemic with massive unemployment and this is a deal killer. If Biden gets elected the best I could hope for is the country to breakup into Progressive and Conservative regions since no one is going to put up with that nonsense Biden is running on.

    If this keeps up I bet the next thing Trump does is to thank the Minneapolis cops for their service so he can shed more potential voters.
    How have you not noticed that the general population doesn't pay detailed attention to anything like this?
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

    I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

  10. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    How have you not noticed that the general population doesn't pay detailed attention to anything like this?
    Pay attention to what? What specific details did you notice that i didnt since i must be part of the general population? What are you specifically upset about?

  11. #39
    Last I checked Facebook and Twitter were private corporations. If the orange dude doesn't like their editing, he shouldn't use their services.

  12. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Last I checked Facebook and Twitter were private corporations. If the orange dude doesn't like their editing, he shouldn't use their services.
    Why do they get protections other corporations dont?



  13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  14. #41
    And here it is:

    "Conservative" Trump expanding the role of government by unleashing the FCC on anything deemed to be "social media". It's about eliminating that pesky lefty bias, ya know, not about censoring inconvenient information by the central Ministry of Truth. Surely this will end well for speech in general.

    https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...l-media-giants

    According to Mui, the White House plans to empower the FCC to write guidelines for American social media companies to help them determine what content should and shouldn't be removed. The guidelines will make clear what social media companies can do while retaining the 'liability shield', while also warning how they might lose that protection by being too proactive.

    Next, watch to see what Gaetz' legislation does to further stifle speech and the Covid-19 "Cause of Action" that PAF posted. This is all about silencing agenda non-compliant independent websites and information that doesn't conform to NBC/FOX/MSNBC/CNN approved narratives.
    Last edited by devil21; 05-28-2020 at 11:09 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

    Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

    Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

    But now you can't talk to people because of "social distancing"....brought to you by shills and politicians.

  15. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    And here it is:

    "Conservative" Trump expanding the role of government by unleashing the FCC on anything deemed to be "social media". It's about eliminating that pesky lefty bias, ya know, not about censoring inconvenient information by the central Ministry of Truth. Surely this will end well for speech in general.

    https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...l-media-giants
    A system for social media to lose its liability protection other corporations dont get is surely going to take out Ron Paul forums. I am contacting my lawyer to sue right now.

  16. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    A system for social media to lose its liability protection other corporations dont get is surely going to take out Ron Paul forums. I am contacting my lawyer to sue right now.
    Does the phrase "Camel's nose under the tent" mean anything to you? I guess in your conservative/libertarian world, it's a good thing to further empower government It was bad enough that I speculated lawsuits/prosecutions arising out of various non-profits. Instead it's even worse since now it's the actual Feds empowered to do so, with the never-runs-dry-of-ink money printer behind it to fund the FCC and DoJ.

    Surely, this guy will be very concerned about maintaining an environment of free speech for Trumpkins and alternative media.

    Education Harvard University (BA)
    University of Chicago (JD)

    ------------------------------


    -----------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post


    Too many fake news tweets.
    No executive order will ever make Americans believe them.

    Every American should sue Donnell for the fake news reparations.
    Only officially sanctioned lies are allowed, citizen!
    Last edited by devil21; 05-28-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

    Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

    Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

    But now you can't talk to people because of "social distancing"....brought to you by shills and politicians.

  17. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Does the phrase "Camel's nose under the tent" mean anything to you? I guess in your conservative/libertarian world, it's a good thing to further empower government
    Further empower government by giving social media websites a legislative monopoly and letting them control speech because they are basically a backdoor for the government to bypass the constitution and they should have full legal protection from being sued??? I mean i think i have even seen you call it fedbook.

  18. #45
    You know, there is a really simple solution to this.

    Trump can just stop using Twitter.

    I mean think about it. The guy has more or less the support of about half the population in the U.S. So he could start his own social media platform, and being a billionaire businessman he would not need public funds to do it.

    Then promote it. It would probably soon become way more popular than Twitter.

    But dictators gotta dictate....
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

  19. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post
    You know, there is a really simple solution to this.

    Trump can just stop using Twitter.

    I mean think about it. The guy has more or less the support of about half the population in the U.S. So he could start his own social media platform, and being a billionaire businessman he would not need public funds to do it.

    Then promote it. It would probably soon become way more popular than Twitter.

    But dictators gotta dictate....
    Yes he could just take over an entire multi billion dollar habit formed industry over night. I bet he could change his Trump tower in las vegas into a casino and take over the whole towns gaming in one night..

  20. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post
    You know, there is a really simple solution to this.

    Trump can just stop using Twitter.
    But then how can they use it as a scapegoat for the next executive and legislative overreaches while getting conservatives to accept it as "winning"?

    It's always good to remember that Red Donnie's commonly used Twitter handle is his "personal" account. @potuS is the official handle. Everything that is posted to his personal handle is for social engineering purposes, mainly Republicans.



    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Further empower government by giving social media websites a legislative monopoly and letting them control speech because they are basically a backdoor for the government to bypass the constitution and they should have full legal protection from being sued??? I mean i think i have even seen you call it fedbook.
    That doesn't even make sense. I already posted that the EO will (reportedly, since not officially confirmed yet) give the FCC the power to blacklist anything it wants and social media outlets must comply or face the threat of legal action, if Congress rolls back 230 protections for anything deemed a social media platform (see Gaetz bill). If a private company wants to censor something, that is for the private company to decide, NOT the government. It's nothing more than creating a legal justification for Deep State sponsored social entities to censor anything not deemed Deep State approved.
    Last edited by devil21; 05-28-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

    Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

    Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

    But now you can't talk to people because of "social distancing"....brought to you by shills and politicians.

  21. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post
    You know, there is a really simple solution to this.

    Trump can just stop using Twitter.

    I mean think about it. The guy has more or less the support of about half the population in the U.S. So he could start his own social media platform, and being a billionaire businessman he would not need public funds to do it.

    Then promote it. It would probably soon become way more popular than Twitter.

    But dictators gotta dictate....
    Exactly.

    And, funny how Trump did this after Twitter had tagged his last post. If it had been Biden's post, Trump would be celebrating & calling Twitter YUGELY wonderful.
    Last edited by Ender; 05-28-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    There is no spoon.



  22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  23. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    But then how can they use it as a scapegoat for the next executive and legislative overreaches while getting conservatives to accept it as "winning"?

    It's always good to remember that Red Donnie's commonly used Twitter handle is his "personal" account. @potuS is the official handle. Everything that is posted to his personal handle is for social engineering purposes, mainly Republicans.





    That doesn't even make sense. I already posted that the EO will (reportedly, since not officially confirmed yet) give the FCC the power to blacklist anything it wants and social media outlets must comply or face legal action. If a private company wants to censor something, that is for the private company to decide, NOT the government. It's nothing more than creating a legal justification for Deep State sponsored social entities to censor anything not deemed Deep State approved.
    You didnt even say that the FCC was going to make it illegal for social media to say things or exercise speech. You posted that the FCC was going to write rules that designate its legal status as a platform or a publisher meaning that they cant just self identify as a platform when its convenient. You even implied at one tine that he was going to get rid of platform protections and then you replied to yourself saying you were right basically even though you clarified that the fcc will set rules so companies cant self identify as a platform when they are not.

  24. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    It's nothing more than creating a legal justification for Deep State sponsored social entities to censor anything not deemed Deep State approved.
    The whole point is they already can and are. Its like you are wrongly interpreting it to be something else. Wake the $#@! up they can and already do this.

  25. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    You didnt even say that the FCC was going to make it illegal for social media to say things or exercise speech. You posted that the FCC was going to write rules that designate its legal status as a platform or a publisher meaning that they cant just self identify as a platform when its convenient. You even implied at one tine that he was going to get rid of platform protections and then you replied to yourself saying you were right basically even though you clarified that the fcc will set rules so companies cant self identify as a platform when they are not.
    Granted, this is a quote from Mui but what part of this do you not understand?
    "According to Mui, the White House plans to empower the FCC to write guidelines for American social media companies to help them determine what content should and shouldn't be removed."

    I may not always nail the plan exactly but I'm usually very close.

    Let me be really clear and simple for you: CENSORSHIP OF NON-APPROVED MEDIA WILL RAMP UP FURTHER. Is that easy enough to understand?


    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    The whole point is they already can and are. Its like you are wrongly interpreting it to be something else. Wake the $#@! up they can and already do this.
    That is true but soon they will have force of government behind it, not just force of corporation. It's one thing for FB or Twitter to decide to censor something. It's another thing entirely when they can say "The FCC forces us to" and likely will soon have an actual federal statute behind it.
    Last edited by devil21; 05-28-2020 at 12:08 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

    Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

    Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

    But now you can't talk to people because of "social distancing"....brought to you by shills and politicians.

  26. #52
    Full draft allegedly "leaked" here: https://thenationalpulse.com/politic...ch-censorship/

    If this is true, they are taking the "Public Square" argument....
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

  27. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Granted, this is a quote from Mui but what part of this do you not understand?
    "According to Mui, the White House plans to empower the FCC to write guidelines for American social media companies to help them determine what content should and shouldn't be removed."

    I may not always nail the plan exactly but I'm usually very close.

    Let me be really clear and simple for you: CENSORSHIP OF NON-APPROVED MEDIA WILL RAMP UP FURTHER. Is that easy enough to understand?
    It cant ramp up its already at 11. They censor stuff and defend it by saying they are a platform.

  28. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post
    Full draft allegedly "leaked" here: https://thenationalpulse.com/politic...ch-censorship/

    If this is true, they are taking the "Public Square" argument....
    From the link:

    Jon Schweppe, director of policy and government affairs at American Principles Project, who has repeatedly advocated for a legislative rewrite of Section 230 that would make immunity from civil liability conditional on market-dominant Big Tech platforms adhering to free speech principles, released the following statement:

    “Today President Trump made it clear that his administration is committed to free speech principles, and we applaud him for that. This is a big day for those who have had their speech unfairly restricted by Big Tech platforms, which, through their market dominance, have now manifested themselves as the digital replacement to the physical public square. Given that reality, and given the political and cultural influence that affords these multinational corporations, it is of utmost importance to defend free speech values and to protect the essence of democracy itself by encouraging the platforms to observe First Amendment principles and allow the free-flowing exchange of ideas.

    “Platforms have speech rights, too. Twitter, for example, is well within its rights to censor or otherwise restrict a user’s speech — even the President of the United States. But if Twitter wants to engage in that censorship, they should not be receiving a special subsidy from the federal government in the form of immunity from civil liability. Those advocating for a change to Section 230 want to establish a quid pro quo — if the American people are going to insulate these multinational corporations from legal liability, they need to at least provide a public square in return.

    “While many will quibble with the details of the executive order, especially with its deference to federal agencies, the main takeaway is that this sets an important precedent for future policymaking: If market-dominant platforms aren’t interested in behaving like a public square with regard to content moderation policies, they shouldn’t receive any sort of special deal from the federal government — period.”
    I see the logic here, and I am never in favor of providing "legal immunity" for anything by decree, but I would think Big Tech will take this. I think they all have $BILLIONS in cash reserves, so why not give up their Section 230 protection and just keep doing what they are doing?
    Last edited by Created4; 05-28-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

  29. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    It cant ramp up its already at 11. They censor stuff and defend it by saying they are a platform.
    No, it's not even close to an 11. I can still post links to things on FB (not that I use it much any way) that are not agenda-approved. I have no doubt whatsoever that it will not be allowed shortly and any links containing keywords the FCC disapproves of will be automatically blocked or shadow-blocked. You ain't seen nothin yet homie.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

    Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

    Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

    But now you can't talk to people because of "social distancing"....brought to you by shills and politicians.

  30. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Section 230 protects them from being sued because they claim they are not exercising speech they are merely a microphone.
    so if they are a microphone, they have no business fact checking Trump tweets.

    Trump is right. Again.



  31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  32. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    That is true but soon they will have force of government behind it, not just force of corporation. It's one thing for FB or Twitter to decide to censor something. It's another thing entirely when they can say "The FCC forces us to" and likely will soon have an actual federal statute behind it.
    You are wrong. Right now they can cause me damages and the law protects them from retaliation. I cant burn the twitter down if twitter burns down my life figuratively or literally. They have a defense from litigation if they cause me damages others are not awarded.

  33. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Whoop there it is.
    Oops, Zerohedge accidentally said the quiet part loud
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

  34. #59
    Wonder if this is going to effect RPF since I doubt the WH approves of this site.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  35. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    No, it's not even close to an 11. I can still post links to things on FB (not that I use it much any way) that are not agenda-approved. I have no doubt whatsoever that it will not be allowed shortly and any links containing keywords the FCC disapproves of will be automatically blocked or shadow-blocked. You ain't seen nothin yet homie.
    You could be censored if they wanted. They either dont want to or you can't threaten them because you speak in a way that most people with common inteligence wont even listen to what you are saying. If they stopped letting you post or shadow banned you what could you do about it? You may be shadow banned to a lot of people and not know it. Having to use a platform no one is on is basically like being shadow banned. Alex Jones was shadow banned.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2017, 01:27 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2014, 04:54 PM
  3. Obama Threatens "Executive Order" on GUNS
    By presence in forum Second Amendment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 06:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •