Thread: Remdesivir Will Do Nothing to End the Coronavirus Pandemic

Remdesivir Will Do Nothing to End the Coronavirus Pandemic

Despite the Hype, Gilead’s Remdesivir Will Do Nothing to End the Coronavirus Pandemic
    Sharon Lerner - May 26 2020

Gilead Sciences’ remdesivir has been heralded as our best hope in fighting the coronavirus pandemic. Unfortunately, the antiviral drug doesn’t seem of much help to patients with Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. And while the company’s clever rollout has generated excitement among investors, politicians, and the public, a combination of generic drugs that appears to be more effective in fighting the coronavirus has flown under the radar.
    Still, price gouging isn’t what has many scientists upset about remdesivir. It’s the fact that the coronavirus drug that has boosted hopes and sent Gilead’s stock price (and according to some analysts, the entire stock market) soaring doesn’t seem to do much for coronavirus patients.

Remdesivir doesn’t work at all, as far as I can tell, or has only a minor effect,” said William Haseltine, a scientist who has spent decades studying viruses and helped lead the U.S. government response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. “It is comparable to Tamiflu and maybe not even as good,” Haseltine added, referring to another antiviral drug that has been available by prescription for 20 years and is expected to be sold over the counter in the coming months.

Haseltine, who founded the divisions of biochemical pharmacology and human retrovirology at Harvard University’s School of Public Health, pointed out that Gilead hasn’t released data showing remdesivir’s effect on viral load in people with Covid-19. Meanwhile, the only available information on how the drug affects the amount of the coronavirus in patients, a Chinese study of the drug published in The Lancet, showed that the drug did not lower the viral load.

“That’s why I call it the fuzzy-wuzzy drug,” said Haseltine. “When the Chinese tried to find the antiviral effect, it wasn’t there.”

Instead, the excitement about remdesivir is based largely on a study sponsored by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases that showed people taking the drug had a faster recovery than those who didn’t take it: 11 days on average compared to 15 for those taking a placebo. An article published on May 22 in the New England Journal of Medicine showed mild improvement in hospitalized patients that took remdesivir, though the drug didn’t appear to be of any help to the sickest patients, who needed to receive high-flow oxygen through ventilators or other means. Nor did the drug significantly improve a patient’s chance of surviving Covid-19.
    While some patients and their families have spent the past few weeks frantically trying to procure remdesivir, another Covid-19 treatment has been quietly been shown to be more effective. Although neither option appears to be the much-needed cure for Covid-19, a three-drug regimen offered a greater reduction in the time it took patients to recover than remdesivir did. People who took the combination of interferon beta-1b, lopinavir-ritonavir, and ribavirin got better in seven days as opposed to 12 days for those who didn’t take it. Critically, the treatment has another leg up on Gilead’s: It clearly reduced the amount of the coronavirus in patients who took it, according to a study published in The Lancet on May 8.
    More: https://theintercept.com/2020/05/26/...vir-treatment/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    To emphasize, there are more treatment options than just Remdesivir or Hydroxychloroquine. As usual, you are given a binary choice: side with the Democrats (Remdesivir) or the GOP (Hydroxychloroquine).

a three-drug regimen ... the combination of interferon beta-1b, lopinavir-ritonavir, and ribavirin
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Sounds like a damned political virus.

Remdesivir costs 10x more than hydroxychloroquine.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

TPTB do not care either way about a virus or a cure, other than it is a means to their end. Remdesivir or Hydroxychloroquine or not, FISA reauthorize or not, they will obtain their information on each and every one of us via public/private companies. Ron Paul talked about fascism today. With companies such as SuperCom, and Moderna, one only need to put the pieces together.

Everything else is for your entertainment only.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Now that it is time to push vaccines, it’s finally time to admit that the most touted “treatment” for the past year really doesn't work.

Don't use Gilead's remdesivir in hospitalised COVID-19 patients, WHO says

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Sounds like a damned political virus.
    Just like with the covid vaccines and the claim that they are 95% effective. I have not seen or heard a vaccine before let alone a flu shot that has a 95% effective effectiveness rate. They should really drop that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Just like with the covid vaccines and the claim that they are 95% effective. I have not seen or heard a vaccine before let alone a flu shot that has a 95% effective effectiveness rate. They should really drop that nonsense.
    Well, I could make up some disease and claim it's a virus, then start selling saline as a vaccine and claim it's 100% effective and be right.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.