Thread: GOP Senators Propose to Cut or Abolish Wasteful Federal Agencies

GOP Senators Propose to Cut or Abolish Wasteful Federal Agencies

Sens. Rick Scott (R-FL), Mike Braun (R-IN), Mike Crapo (R-ID), and Thom Tillis (R-NC) introduced legislation on Wednesday to give Congress the authority to help streamline federal agencies’ operations and reduce waste.

The Republican senators introduced the Agency Accountability Act, which creates a review process to routinely evaluate the efficiency of federal agencies, justify their current structure, and offer recommendations for change through new legislation. The legislation would allow the commission to recommend to abolish or reorganize any federal agency.

Scott, a former governor of Florida, said that one of the easiest ways to reduce federal spending is to find waste at the agency level. He said in a statement on Wednesday:

This year’s federal budget deficit will be the largest in the history of our nation. Congress has to get serious about how we are spending taxpayer dollars. An easy way to do that is to routinely examine efficiencies at our federal agencies. I did it on the state level as Governor of Florida, and it saved Florida taxpayers millions of dollars.

The Agency Accountability Act would:

Have the speaker of the House and the Senate majority leader appoint a 13-member bipartisan commission, with a single member appointed by the president, to regularly review agency operations.
    Require each federal agency, including advisory committees, to be reviewed by the commission at least once every six years.
    Requires the oversight commission to:
    Review and evaluate the efficiency and public need for each agency using specific criteria.
    Recommend whether each agency should be abolished or reorganized.
    Report to Congress on introduced legislation that would establish a new agency or a new program, or reorganize a current agency or program.
    Grants legislation proposed by the commission expedited consideration in Congress.

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...eral-agencies/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Scott, a former governor of Florida, said that one of the easiest ways to reduce federal spending is to find waste at the agency level. He said in a statement on Wednesday:

This year’s federal budget deficit will be the largest in the history of our nation. Congress has to get serious about how we are spending taxpayer dollars. An easy way to do that is to routinely examine efficiencies at our federal agencies. I did it on the state level as Governor of Florida, and it saved Florida taxpayers millions of dollars.
    Of course, with Trump and Congress deliberately trashing the economy, borrowing two trillion at a time, and giving it to their cronies like candy (with a billion here and there divided among the taxpaying trick or treaters), it's kind of like turning the bucket upside down to fix that pinhole.
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Must be an election year. Time for the GOP to pretend to be fiscally conservative.
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Originally Posted by TheCount
    Must be an election year. Time for the GOP to pretend to be fiscally conservative.
    I saw that in the other thread and it applies equally here.

+ Rep

With everything happening now at Warp Speed, whatever this government does either way will not turn the tide. It is, after all, the CSAOWG (Corporate States of Amerika and the One World Government).
    “The right to life is the source of all rights—and the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave.”

Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3)

We would never want to actually support something like this, we might have to stop whining.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

We would never want to actually support something like this, we might have to stop whining.
    Yes, I cannot wait to "streamline federal agencies and a 13-member bipartisan commission". With a massive central database, which will track every single person, monitored/controlled by a select few.
    “The right to life is the source of all rights—and the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave.”

Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3)

After years of unprecedented spending and grift, we're supposed to 'stop whining' so that we can happily lick up some crumbs which *might be* brushed off of the edge of the table and onto the floor.

Not all of us grovel so well as you, Wormtongue. Maybe you can teach us how to abase ourselves better.
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

Hey. If you think this will save your pension and your savings bonds, fine. Enjoy working until you die.
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've seen this show too many times to believe it means anything this time.
    Rick Scott (R-FL), Mike Braun (R-IN), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Thom Tillis (R-NC) - Sure.