Thread: Trump administration weighing hate crime charges in death of Ahmaud Arbery

Post Trump administration weighing hate crime charges in death of Ahmaud Arbery

This strong message from Trump administration should further boost its image as a supporter of MLK cause/civil rights movement and credibility of its minorities outreach campaign that has included strong actions like prison reform, embrace of Black Lives Matter/social justice activists, pardon of Jack Johnson over Anti White Slave Act violation, threat to Sweden for release of rapper Rocky ASAP among other.

Update 1:

Ahmaud Arbery killing being investigated as federal hate crime, family attorney says

Updated: 7:43 PM PDT May 25, 2020
    By Angela Barajas and Martin Savidge

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — S. Lee Merritt, an attorney for the family of Ahmaud Arbery, told CNN on Monday that the U.S. Department of Justice is investigating the shooting death as a hate crime.
    Merritt said he learned about the development after meeting with United States Attorney for the Southern District of Georgia Bobby Christine on Thursday.

Arbery, who was black, was jogging outside Brunswick, Georgia, on Feb. 23 when Gregory McMichael and his son, who are white, chased after him, authorities said. Arbery and Travis McMichael struggled over the latter's shotgun and Arbery was shot three times. Gregory McMichael told police Arbery attacked his son, a police report says.
    The killing sparked outrage across a nation after a disturbing video of the shooting emerged online on May 5.
    Arbery's family said he was jogging through the neighborhood. Video shows him stopping by a house under construction, a home near the McMichaels. According to a Glynn County Police report, Gregory McMichael later told officers that he thought Arbery looked like a person whom they suspected in a series of recent break-ins in the area.
    Earlier this month, Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr requested the Department of Justice investigate the handling of this case.
    A Department of Justice spokesperson confirmed earlier this month that the Civil Rights Division of the department was assessing the evidence in the case to determine whether federal hate crime charges were appropriate.
    Gregory and Travis McMichael were arrested May 7 for the shooting death of Arbery. They face state charges of felony murder and aggravated assault.
    William "Roddie" Bryan Jr., the man who recorded the fatal shooting of Arbery, was arrested last week on charges including felony murder.

US Attorney considering charges against state officials in Arbery case, family's lawyers say
    Justice Department officials want to know why it took so long to charge those responsible for Ahmaud Arbery's death, the family's attorneys said.
    Michael King
    6:53 PM EDT May 25, 2020

May 11, 2020

Justice Department weighs hate crime charges in death of Ahmaud Arbery

Sarah N. Lynch
    2 Min Read

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department is weighing whether to file hate crime charges against the white men who killed Ahmaud Arbery, an unarmed black man who was gunned down while jogging in the small coastal town of Brunswick, Georgia, department spokeswoman Kerri Kupec said on Monday.

“The Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice, the FBI, and the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Georgia have been supporting and will continue fully to support and participate in the state investigation. We are assessing all of the evidence to determine whether federal hate crimes charges are appropriate,” Kupec said in a statement.
    The Justice Department announcement comes just days after state investigators arrested a white former police officer, Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son Travis, 34, on charges of murder and aggravated assault.
    The Feb. 23, shooting death of 25-year-old Arbery was captured on a video that has since gone viral on social media. The shooting and video sparked outrage across the country, with civil rights activists saying it marks yet another example of white perpetrators attacking an innocent black man.
    Critics have questioned why it took local law enforcement more than two months to arrest the suspects, prompting Georgia’s state attorney general to vow to investigate the delay.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN22N29X

Related

Trump on shooting of Ahmaud Arbery
    “So I saw the tape, and it’s very, very disturbing, the tape. I got to see it. It’s very disturbing. I looked at a picture of that young man. He was in a tuxedo, and — in fact, he put it up. And I will say that that looks like a really good, young guy,” Trump told “Fox & Friends.”

Ivanka Trump demands to know why it 'took months' to arrest two men accused of murdering Ahmaud Arbery
    May 08, 2020
    washingtonexaminer.com/news/ivanka-trump-demands-to-know-why-it-took-months-to-arrest-two-men-accused-of-murdering-ahmaud-arbery

Rev. Al Sharpton enters #JusticeForRocky fray, pleads for A$AP Rocky detained in Sweden
    Civil rights activist and media personality Rev. Al Sharpton is joining the fray in support of the Harlem-born lyricist.
    On Wednesday, Sharpton met with Renee Black, A$AP Rocky’s mother, and other relatives of the men arrested in Stockholm on June 30, at his National Action Network corporate offices in New York.

Trump administration had threatened Sweden to secure release of Somali-American rapper ASAP Rocky

U.S. warned Sweden of 'negative consequences' if ASAP Rocky wasn't released

Aug. 3, 2019
    The U.S. government warned Sweden of "negative consequences" as it advocated for rapper ASAP Rocky during his trial for assault charges in Stockholm this week, according to a pair of letters released by the Swedish Prosecution Authority.
    According to the letters, obtained by NBC News partner Aftonbladet, the U.S. special presidential envoy for hostage affairs wrote to Swedish prosecutors urging them to release Rocky.
    "The government of the United States of America wants to resolve this case as soon as possible to avoid potentially negative consequences to the U.S.-Swedish bilateral relationship," Amb. Robert O'Brien wrote in the letter, dated Wednesday.
    In response Sweden's prosecutor-general, Petra Lundh, defended the independence of Swedish courts and said he therefore had to deny O'Brien's requests.
    "No other prosecutor, not even I, may interfere with a specific case or try to affect the prosecutor responsible," Lundh wrote in a letter dated Thursday.
    The letters marked the latest intervention by U.S. officials in a case that has commanded the attention of figures ranging from the president to Justin Bieber.
    Rocky, whose real name is Rakim Mayers, was arrested and charged with assault over a street brawl in the Swedish capital on June 30.
    Trump began weighing in on the case last month following outcry from celebrities including reality TV star Kim Kardashian-West and musician Rod Stewart.
    Trump said he spoke to Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Löfven asking for his release and "offered to personally vouch for his bail."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u...-wasn-n1038961

Trump Deputy AG Rosenstein on recent mass shootings: “white terrorism” is more precise

Trump appointed FBI Director Wray says most domestic terrorism arrests this year involve white supremacy
    07/23/19

Trump designates Martin Luther King Jr. birthplace a national historic park

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You know there is a thread on this right? why not post there? why make so many threads on this?

They will look into the facts and decide against it.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    You know there is a thread on this right? why not post there? why make so many threads on this?

There are few different threads on this each with narrow focus, you were referring to this one?

Although MSM and Trump team appear to be using similar narrative but OP news seemed like a major topic in itself as GOP Adelson led administration appears to be breaking away from big part of its base and considering a strong federal gov action.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    [snip]file hate crime charges against the white men who killed Ahmaud Arbery, an unarmed black man
    [snip] with civil rights activists saying it marks yet another example of white perpetrators attacking an innocent black man.
    [snip]AG-Rosenstein-on-recent-mass-shootings-“white-terrorism”-is-more-precise&"
    [snip]Trump Deputy AG Rosenstein on recent mass shootings: “white terrorism” is more precise[[snip]
    Gosh!

Wonder if there's some sort of message in among all the BS?

Ya' know what? $#@! your racial tension promoting ED, $#@! "Rocky Retard" and all the rest of your race baiting heroes you keep promoting especially Al Sharpton, just $#@! 'em! And $#@! you for pushing their/your agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The only people who give a $#@! about "race relations" are the racists that want something.

Normal people ignore the trolling..

Like everything that's a perceived problem government involvement only makes it worse.
    (I'm feeling pretty abnormal this morning after yet another dose of race baiting.)

That very well might be the case at least in some cases. But question posed above was to clarify stance of that poster about media narratives vs GOPA wing leaders narrative that seem to align on this issue. If "race relations" is not the proper term here, lat's use a narrow focus term, 'issues relating to our African-American community'.
    At least that would be honest.

Leading to the question; Who separates out "our African-American community" other than somebody that insists on promoting racism?

Africans don't deserve and won't get any special treatment from me whether they're in America or in Africa, same with Chinese or Russians or, or....

Dividing the population is a political manipulation tactic.
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-13-2020 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Adding context

There are few different threads on this each with narrow focus
    See my post above this one.

I'll get the focus pointed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    It's quite obvious why he/she/it keeps on with this kind of divisive BS that the MSM tries to perpetuate, it's time to call 'em out for what they are.

Ya' know what? $#@! your racial tension promoting ED, $#@! "Rocky Retard" and all the rest of your race baiting heroes you keep promoting especially Al Sharpton, just $#@! 'em! And $#@! you for pushing their/your agenda.
    Who is race baiting?

e_d by letting us know what's going on? Or Reuters, who penned all those snippets you quoted? Or was it the Trump Department of Justice, with the "Hate Crime" threat?

Seems to me all e_d wants is for all the people--including racists--who still expect Trump to do something for them to wake up and smell the coffee. I don't know why that would make anyone mad, unless they were in deep denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Who is race baiting?

e_d by letting us know what's going on? Or Reuters, who penned all those snippets you quoted? Or was it the Trump Department of Justice, with the "Hate Crime" threat?

Seems to me all e_d wants is for all the people--including racists--who still expect Trump to do something for them to wake up and smell the coffee. I don't know why that would make anyone mad, unless they were in deep denial.
    Fueling the fires of racial division is wrong whoever does it.

Promoting divisive propaganda is fueling the fires.

Trump talking "hate crime" is equally divisive.

The whole damn mess is just old.

So $#@! the whole lot of 'em right in the neck..

I'm sick of hearing it from all sides.

So $#@! the whole lot of 'em right in the neck..

I'm sick of hearing it from all sides.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

What hate crime? Where is the racial element to this case?

This whole thing is so ridiculous it doesn't even seem real. I swear the MSM is just testing the limits of how much BS they can make up and get away with. The "jogger" is wearing work boots in the shooting video while running away and drops stolen tools taken from the house under construction he was seen on another video entering. He got shot because he attacked and grabbed for the gun.

Unlike Rocky ASAP case, First Lady had not issued a statement on this but other Trump allies have added their voices to the messaging being put out by the Trump adminstration:

Kim Kardashian calls for justice against the murderer of Ahmaud Arbery

LOS ANGELES (united States).- Not everything is “pink” for the star and socialite Kim Kardashian. The entrepreneur wants to see the punishment for a white man who, allegedly, killed by shots to the afro Ahmaud Arbery, while the victim was unarmed in Brunswick, Georgia. As a result of his opinions, has earned a nickname controversial on Twitter: Martin Luther Kim. On may 7, Kim tweeted: “Sign this petition to have the charges and be able to do justice to the family of Ahmaud Arbery #JusticeForAhmaudArbery“. Along with this, included a link to Change.org that calls for charges against the alleged perpetrator. A Twitter user called “Martin Luther Kim” by their plight on behalf of the black community which seeks justice.

Tom Brady heads athletes’ letter calling for Ahmaud Arbery justice

The Players Coalition and a group of current and former athletes and coaches sent a letter to Attorney General William Barr and FBI Director Christopher Wray calling for an immediate federal investigation into the controversial death of Ahmaud Arbery. The letter, which was also sent to Deputy Attorney General for Civil Rights Eric Dreiband, was signed by 64 athletes and coaches, including Tom Brady, Steve Kerr and Players Coalition co-founders Anquan Boldin and Saints defensive back Malcolm Jenkins, to bring attention to the fatal shooting of a black jogger in southern Georgia on Feb. 23.
    “The local investigation into this case is marred by conflicts, inaction, [the second assigned prosecutor’s] very deliberate attempt to ensure that Mr. Arbery received no justice, and the current prosecutor’s total failure to act until social media forced his hand,” the letter says. “The local police force can never be independent, as the elder-McMichael used to work there. And [the second assigned prosecutor’s] statements about the case surely have tainted the local jury pool. If people are to have faith in the justice system, the Department of Justice must act with the FBI leading the investigation.”

nypost.com/2020/05/08/tom-brady-heads-athletes-letter-calling-for-ahmaud-arbery-justice/

See my post above this one.

I'll get the focus pointed in the right direction.

Apologize for late follow up. While I appreciate your strong feelings in support of racial cohesiveness, do discussion dissecting national media news like "Trump administration weighing hate crime charges in death of Ahmaud Arbery" cause racial divisions OR detailed analysis / relating adminstration statements on this topic to other recent statements on related topics like rapper Rocky A$AP case are the problem in your view?

Not sure why you felt the need to call Rocky A$AP as "Rocky Retard" , I happen to think a Republican US President's threat to Swedish government for immediate release of a Somali-American rapper ROCK A$AP was a major development in US Politics (in the context of Race Relations evolution and as continuation of a major shift in US politics that started with election of Barack Hussein Obama post Iraqi freedom war backlash).

Not sure if you're coming from a 'diversity is our strength' or some other political correctness/unification mindset. By your definition, were any these statements 'race baiting' also? Do First Lady and First President's statements on Arbery case, Rocky ASAP case fall in that category?

Pre-Election :

Post election:
    10-26-2018
    Trump says very soon there will be a Black President
    While talking to black leaders earlier today, he said very soon one of you will be a President.. or three, four of you will be where I am.

Originally Posted by tod evans
    The only people who give a $#@! about "race relations" are the racists that want something.
    Ivanka Trump @IvankaTrump
    Jan 30
    Gallup Poll: Race Relations See Double-Digit Increase Since Trump Entered White House
    twitter.com/ivankatrump/status/1222843256712679424

A Milestone: All Of The Walking Dead's Relationships Are Now Interracial Or LGBT
    Nov 14, 2018 Forbes

You're entitled to hold whatever views please you but hopefully will be able to answer direct questions to better understand your view on this. Some other poster, eganz if recall correctly, while back had expressed similar views when bunch of headlines related to pro-diversity activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon , liberal GOPA wing donors etc were discussed but never returned to answer direct questions to clarify views.

Apologize for late follow up. While I appreciate your strong feelings in support of racial cohesiveness, do discussion dissecting national media news like "Trump administration weighing hate crime charges in death of Ahmaud Arbery" cause racial divisions
    First off run-on questions that fail to point to a specific issue are a prosecutorial tactic that may float in your world but I'll have no part of them, in the future please try parsing them and being more succinct.

"Yes" The "Trump administration weighing hate crime charges in death of Ahmaud Arbery" cause racial divisions" , Actually they serve to enhance racial division and not cause it but why should I be more succinct than you?

OR detailed analysis / relating adminstration statements on this topic to other recent statements on related topics like rapper Rocky A$AP case are the problem in your view?
    I cannot deduce the actual question in this strung-together word salad, perhaps you could state it clearly without pictures or run-on verbiage?

Not sure why you felt the need to call Rocky A$AP as "Rocky Retard"
    Simply a response to your incessant coverage of this individuals issues in such a fawning manner. I find ALL rap music and ALL rappers retarded at best. The people who listen to them or fawn over their "performances" have issues too.

I happen to think a Republican US President's threat to Swedish government for immediate release of a Somali-American rapper ROCK A$AP was a major development in US Politics (in the context of Race Relations evolution and as continuation of a major shift in US politics that started with election of Barack Hussein Obama post Iraqi freedom war backlash).
    And how, pray-tell, did you come to include Obama in this sentence? Or Iraq?
    I'll parse the question/statement down to; "I happen to think a Republican US President's threat to Swedish government for immediate release of a "
    I don't think threatening the Sweeds is a good idea.

Not sure if you're coming from a 'diversity is our strength' or some other political correctness/unification mindset. By your definition, were any these statements 'race baiting' also?
    First off, I'm not politically correct so forget that notion.
    Hyphenating groups in society is absolutely "race baiting" or promoting division, depending on the subject matter. The two most obvious groups in the USA that are used by politicians and other charlatans are "Blacks" and feather "Indians" the use of the term "Muslim" is quickly rising in prominence though.

Do First Lady and First President's statements on Arbery case, Rocky ASAP case fall in that category?
    Only when their statements focus on race and not the issue at hand.

You're entitled to hold whatever views please you but hopefully will be able to answer direct questions to better understand your view on this. Some other poster, eganz if recall correctly, while back had expressed similar views when bunch of headlines related to pro-diversity activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon , liberal GOPA wing donors etc were discussed but never returned to answer direct questions to clarify views.
    Why would you insert "eganz" into this post directed to me?

Why would you ASSume that I would be either unwilling or unable to answer questions no matter how poorly they are phrased?

Finally let me help you with basic English;

Retardation; Mental retardation, also known as intellectual disability, a disorder characterized by significantly impaired cognitive functioning and deficits in adaptive behaviors.
    I stand by my use of the term.

If you'd like to question me further please try to pose simple, non-leading questions devoid of statement or opinions and I'll respond otherwise your poorly structured and divisive posts that question my motives or opinions will probably be ignored.