Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the murderers of Ahmaud Arbery need to be prosecuted

I didn't follow this case very closely. From what I'm hearing now, the case hinged on the lack of evidence that Arbery had just committed a crime. Prowling in the area, even at night, even caught on camera, was not sufficient evidence or cause to perform a citizen's arrest or ask a question.

But still, I have to ask, would it be enough evidence for the police to ask Arbery a question or detain him to ask a question when he was in the neighborhood?

Is there anyone who grew up in the US who was ever stopped and questioned by Police because "there was a crime in the area"? As a teen and very young adult, it happened to me several times, and no, I was not in any way involved in any crime.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Wow. That's a lot of charges, and I am not familiar with the specifics of those. Five types of murder?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I didn't follow this case very closely. From what I'm hearing now, the case hinged on the lack of evidence that Arbery had just committed a crime. Prowling in the area, even at night, even caught on camera, was not sufficient evidence or cause to perform a citizen's arrest or ask a question.

But still, I have to ask, would it be enough evidence for the police to ask Arbery a question or detain him to ask a question when he was in the neighborhood?

Is there anyone who grew up in the US who was ever stopped and questioned by Police because "there was a crime in the area"? As a teen and very young adult, it happened to me several times, and no, I was not in any way involved in any crime.
    This case literally fell apart on a technicality.

The defense argued the entire case that their right to execute a citizen's arrest while the suspect is fleeing was based on probable cause from an incident a week or so before. Pretty much right before closing arguments, the Judge was asked to interpret the statute and he claimed that their right to execute a citizen's arrest on a feeling suspect is extinguished after the suspect flees.. when EXACTLY the the extinguish occurs is up for debate, but the Judge made it pretty clear that the by the next day it is extinguished.

The defense basically argued their entire case that they were guilty based on this interpretation of the law.

The day of the event, they did not witness Arbery come out of the house, their neighbor did.. he even got it on video. They could have argued that they had probable cause for felony if they had actually seen him exit the house, because they could have argued he had intent to steal even if he did not.. but they saw him run by, and the neighbor pointed down the street indicating that he was getting away.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-24-2021 at 01:52 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The part I don't understand is that Arbery grabbed for the gun and then gets shot. How is that not self defense? It's the same circumstances as the Rosenbaum shooting by Ritenhouse.

Don't get me wrong here, my belief is that both the McMicheals are at least somewhat racist and Arbery is a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    The part I don't understand is that Arbery grabbed for the gun and then gets shot. How is that not self defense? It's the same circumstances as the Rosenbaum shooting by Ritenhouse.
    It's not the same circumstances. It's the opposite. In the Rittenhouse case, it was Rittenhouse who tried to flee before resorting to shooting Rosenbaum when he had no other recourse, and Rosenbaum who pursued him. In the Arbery case, it was Arbery, the unarmed man, who tried to flee, and the armed man who pursued him, not allowing him to flee. And Arbery only attempted to grab the gun when he had no other recourse, or at least reasonably believed that he didn't. The one who was the aggressor can't then turn around and say they acted in self defense just because the person they were in the process of trying to detain fought back when they weren't being permitted to flee.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 11-24-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Wow. That's a lot of charges, and I am not familiar with the specifics of those. Five types of murder?
    How many people did they kill?

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    One man with multiple personalities?

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post

Don't get me wrong here, my belief is that both the McMicheals are at least somewhat racist and Arbery is a thief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    It's not the same circumstances. It's the opposite. In the Rittenhouse case, it was Rittenhouse who tried to flee before resorting to shooting Rosenbaum when he had no other recourse, and Rosenbaum who pursued him. In the Arbery case, it was Arbery, the unarmed man, who tried to flee, and the armed man who pursued him, not allowing him to flee. And Arbery only attempted to grab the gun when he had no other recourse, or at least reasonably believed that he didn't. The one who was the aggressor can't then turn around and say they acted in self defense just because the person they were in the process of trying to detain fought back when they weren't being permitted to flee.
    Arbery had no reason to believe his life was being threatened, they already had a chance to shoot him and they did not. He knew they were trying to hold him there until police arrived, and he would not have that.

The reason the law decided the way it did is because their probable cause for citizens arrest had extinguished (from an incident that had happened prior), therefore they were attempting false imprisonment and at that point they lose the ability to claim self defense. It was a technicality. He was just in the house, but the McMichaels did not personally see him come out, the neighbor let them know.

As far as them being racist... I don't get that. It is possible, but there is no indication from the case whatsoever. They didn't chase him because he was a black guy running away, they actually knew of him from the camera footage and the son had previous altercations with him in person in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-24-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Arbery had no reason to believe his life was being threatened, they already had a chance to shoot him and they did not. He knew they were trying to hold him there until police arrived, and he would not have that.
    Supposing that's true for the sake of argument, it was Arbery's right not to have that. He was under no obligation to let them detain him. And when they tried to, making themselves the aggressors, not him, it was his right to fight back. He was the one fighting in his own self defense. Not them. And it can't be both.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Supposing that's true for the sake of argument, it was Arbery's right not to have that. He was under no obligation to let them detain him. And when they tried to, making themselves the aggressors, not him, it was his right to fight back. He was the one fighting in his own self defense. Not them. And it can't be both.
    I would bet a bitcoin that none of those thoughts about what Arbery's "rights" were or were not crossed Arbery's mind while this was occurring. He's a criminal, he doesn't care about the laws. Pretty sure he was trying to think of what he could do to not to be arrested by the police.

All they needed was one of the McMichaels to happen to be outside and see Arbery leave the house, and they could have successfully argued their case. Instead their neighbor saw it and signaled to them, it was obvious what had just happened, and based on the totality of evidence from everything prior I as a juror would have argued they still had probable cause.

The law as written is meant for single instances. For example, someone sees a black guy in your neighborhood running away and assume they just broke in somewhere. Can't initiate citizens arrest. Or, you saw a guy commit a felony a month ago, now you see him walking down the street. Maybe he's already been arrested and cleared, or bailed out, etc, etc.. can't initiate citizen's arrest.

However.. you have a guy on video multiple times over weeks/months, you have an altercation with him at the house, then later you see him running away from the house and the neighbor who did see him leave signals you.. any reasonable person I think can allow for probable cause in this situation based on the totality. I think the jury could have done that themselves, but it would have been outside the law as written.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-24-2021 at 02:56 PM.

This is another reason why you don't want to talk to the cops without a lawyer. Saying things like we cornered him like a rat didn't help their case. Ahmaud was a bad guy with a history of robbery and trying to evade arrest. He knew his life wasn't in danger when he went for the gun essentially forcing the McMicheals to shoot him. No way I would have voted to convict them of any charges, especially the guy who filmed the incident. That guy is 10000% not guilty in my book and I don't care what the actual law says

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Let me channel a host on MSNBC and take a wild guess at what they might think...

"We know they murdered Ahmaud Arbery, but we don't know how many other people these ignorant red neck white supremacist's may have murdered in the past. We must assume that they regularly hunted down and killed black people, and this is just the first time they got caught. How many people did they kill? Probably hundreds."

And how did that work out for him? Not very well. There were other options than trying to grab a gun from someone.

What if he had stopped and said, "hey man, what's up, I'm just out here jogging". Is your opinion that they would have shot him dead right there in cold blood?

And then they would inevitably say "What were you doing in that house? Did you steal something"?

He could then say "nope, just out jogging, stopped by to look at the floor plan on that new house. Call the police if you want, I didn't steal anything."

Is that the point where they would have gunned down Arbery in cold blood?

For example, someone sees a black guy in your neighborhood running away and assume they just broke in somewhere.
    Ironically, you just reminded me that happened in my neighborhood. A young guy (black) was jogging, and he sat down on fire hydrant IIRC. We were walking by him, said "hi" and he blurted out "I'm just out for a run". We thought "no reason to tell us what you're doing", and replied "good day for it, have a good run".

On second thought, should we have been suspicious? Crime does occur on that exact same street, including purse snatching which recently had occurred and the perp was young black guy, caught on camera too.

On the other hand, there are black people in the neighborhood who do jog on a regular basis. And for what it's worth, they are just as concerned about crime and homeless drug addicts as anyone.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And how did that work out for him? Not very well. There were other options than trying to grab a gun from someone.

What if he had stopped and said, "hey man, what's up, I'm just out here jogging". Is your opinion that they would have shot him dead right there in cold blood?

And then they would inevitably say "What were you doing in that house? Did you steal something"?

He could then say "nope, just out jogging, stopped by to look at the floor plan on that new house. Call the police if you want, I didn't steal anything."

Is that the point where they would have gunned down Arbery in cold blood?

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    After a few drinks at a party, how often does your wife have to elbow you in the ribs when politics come up? LOL

Joking aside, I really do enjoy your blunt honest opinion of stuff even when we disagree.

But yeah, you may be right about him. Who really knows what's really going on behind the scenes on the news these days?

Oh. Poke in the ribs. That ain’t the half of it.
    And yeah, I don’t mind disagreeing. The great General Patton once said, “If everyone is thinking alike, somebody isn’t thinking."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Wrong.

I don't think anybody under age 35 or 40 thinks weed should be illegal.
    Oh, come on, dude. Nothing like that is ever unanimous.

I could be wrong about this Rittenhouse guy and pigs, but chances are I’m not. Look at the numbers in the link. Over ¾ of pigs think pigs themselves should not smoke dope even when it’s legal.

https://www.police1.com/policing-era...bJb8RGKEihkFG/

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
    lmao, why am I not surprised to find dannno defending the blatant cold-blooded murder of a black man....I know you are painfully low-iq from reading your posts for the last 10 years, so i don't expect much in response.
    Who is your original identity here?

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Nate the Lawyer has a lot of solid coverage of the trial (live streams, commentaries, recaps, etc.).

Here are some of his videos (there are others HERE):

Death of Ahmaud Arbery | Opening Statements
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoMywV1QmeM

Ahmaud Arbery | Trial RECAP Week 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0J7DgpCvBM

Ahmaud Arbery | Closing Arguments | The case goes to the Jury.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9smcT_NiUk
    Ahmaud Arbery Prosecution Rebuttal and Jury Deliberations with Uncivil Law, In Time, & Eric Hunley
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKVztwexIr8

LawTube Watches the Verdict! The Trial of the Death of Ahmaud Arbery
    Live Reactions With Viva Frei, Uncivil Law, Rekieta Law, LegalBytes, Legal Mindset, Good Lawgic, Hoeg Law, & Runkle Of The Bailey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMtato8YGqs
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-24-2021 at 06:13 PM.

Sometimes it's better not to film things.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Who is your original identity here?
    I was guessing R3volution 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I was guessing R3volution 3.0.
    Ah, okay.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sometimes it's better not to film things.
    Or don't talk to the cops until you get your story straight. The fact that they talked to the cops without counsel is what doomed them. Even if you think you are 1000% in the right, just shut up until you get your story straight.

Also, never say things like "we cornered him like a rat".

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Ahmaud Arbery Prosecution Rebuttal and Jury Deliberations with Uncivil Law, In Time, & Eric Hunley
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKVztwexIr8

LawTube Watches the Verdict! The Trial of the Death of Ahmaud Arbery
    Live Reactions With Viva Frei, Uncivil Law, Rekieta Law, LegalBytes, Legal Mindset, Good Lawgic, Hoeg Law, & Runkle Of The Bailey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMtato8YGqs

LOL at how they make Arbery look like some aw shucks Gomer Pyle. They forgot this photo:

§ 16-5-1 - Murder; malice murder; felony murder; murder in the second degree
    Universal Citation: GA Code § 16-5-1 (2014)
    (a) A person commits the offense of murder when he unlawfully and with malice aforethought, either express or implied, causes the death of another human being.

(b) Express malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof. Malice shall be implied where no considerable provocation appears and where all the circumstances of the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...section-16-5-1

I guess they had a doctor sign off on that.

Oh, come on, dude. Nothing like that is ever unanimous.

I could be wrong about this Rittenhouse guy and pigs, but chances are I’m not. Look at the numbers in the link. Over ¾ of pigs think pigs themselves should not smoke dope even when it’s legal.

https://www.police1.com/policing-era...bJb8RGKEihkFG/
    That's 96% of 18-29 year olds think cannabis should be legal, at least for medical purposes.. that's pretty close to unanimous. Of those who think it should be illegal for recreation, I would bet the vast majority think it should be legal to possess, certainly not a jailable offense.

That was because he was running full speed straight at him, I think he was only about 20 feet away at that point and he was in fear for his life... he was trying to de escalate the situation, which the laywers on Rekeita were mocking, but it is often a useful strategy for de escalation.

Also, they had reason to suspect he was armed.
    Bvllshyt. He was running AWAY FROM THE SECOND TRUCK at full speed! They had set up a roadblock after chasing him for 5 minutes WITH TWO TRUCKS! According to the McMichael's own statement to the police they had him "cornered like a rat." Those are THEIR words. Viva Frei, the guy that had former Kyle Rittenhouse attorney Robert Barnes on his channel almost every week and said early on Kyle was innocent, gave a full recitation of the facts before the verdict. The McMichaels were guilty as sin.

Arbery was grabbing for the door handles on the truck..
    Total fvcking lie! Video proof demanded! Arbery ran PAST the truck at full speed and the son was already out of the truck! Plus have you never heard of something called a lock? Don't make up lies just to try to come up with an acquittal. You're as bad as the Rittenhouse prosecutor that said Kyle was chasing Rosenberg.

He had just committed a crime, that is known, it's on video. Arbery knew that he had committed a crime. There is no reasonable fear of being executed when they had already come up to you and said, "stop, we want to talk to you" and "the police are coming" and they could have executed him then if they wanted to.
    At most that was trespassing which is a misdemeanor. (I've yet to see an actual picture of that no trespassing sign but I'll assume that's true). And the son admitted under oath that he didn't know if Arbery had done anything or not.

I said “undercurrent”. The agenda slightly below the surface. You want to talk about the details of the cases.
    The "agenda" in this case is that according to the facts and the law these three jackasses are guilty. People who apply actual facts to the actual law realize Kyle Rittenhouse was innocent and the McMichaels and "Roddy" are guilty. (Actually I feel a little sorry for Roddy. He seems to have just gotten caught up with the wrong crowd.) You can pursue someone without attempting to detain him. And you can detain someone without pointing a gun at him, especially if you know he's unarmed and under oath the McMichaels admitted there was no reason for them to think he was armed. Three of them. One of him. They could have tackled him and not be convicted felons now.

So let’s look at some detail:

“And regardless, even Kyle Rittenhouse said on the fvcking stand that he understood he didn't have the right to use deadly force to protect property.”

I don't know the law in that state, or in any specific state on defense of private property. That line of questioning in the Rittenhouse case is exactly what I am talking about. They want to say you have no right to defend property. It is part of the Marxist agenda to eliminate private property. I don’t agree with that. I’m more of the mind that “looters will be shot”. Your legality will vary, but what is the natural right here? What is moral?
    Property can be defended without using deadly force. But in this case they weren't even defending property. Arbery was running away from the property in question. He had nothing in his hand. (Yes I know the 4Chan QAnon liars tried to claim for months that he did. But they're liars). If someone punches you and is running away from you at that point you aren't defending yourself by trying to chase him down. You're trying to get your lick back.

As for the specifics of the Arbery case, the guys chasing him were no longer defending property. But they were trying to perform a citizen’s arrest on a suspicious person with a history of being suspicious in the area, and possibly stealing. This was not a random jogger. Obviously deadly force is not called for in this situation, even if they were the Police trying to get him to stop. What would happen if those were police and Arbery tried to wrestle a cop for his shotgun?
    The citizens arrest was (thankfully) unlawful. On the day in question there was and is no evidence that Arbery did anything beyond misdemeanor trespass, just like the other people caught on video going in and out of that house that day. That didn't rise to a citizens arrest. And even if Arbery DID felony burglary a week before, no proof that he did, just video of him trespassing, that STILL didn't justify a citizens arrest later. Now as to your question of "What would happen if those were police?" Those police shouldn't have been pointing a shotgun at Arbery knowing he was unarmed as McMicheal admitted he did BEFORE Arbery reached for the gun. Those police (hopefully) wouldn't have tried to strike Arbery with their vehicle as Roddy said he wished he'd done. Those police (hopefully) wouldn't have said, as the McMichaels told the police "Stop or we'll blow your fvcking head off." Those police (hopefully) would have tackled Arbery and effected an arrest. If three men can't take down an unarmed man without shooting him then they shouldn't be police officers nor should they try to act like they are police officers.

Don't worry, it will come to you eventually. People will hunt and camp on your land, and the Komissar will arrest you if you complain. You obviously have too much, and need to share with those who want it.
    Do you think I should have chased down the three white men who shot the deer on my property and gunned them down if they resisted? Yes or no?

Your presumption is that they were pursuing him to shoot him. That was not the case. They were pursuing him to ensure he was handed off to police custody. If you are a citizen and you chase somebody down and try to falsely imprison them, then you can get in a lot of trouble. However in this case it is clear that they were correct, he had committed multiple crimes including one on that day right before he ran off.
    That's not the evidence that was presented in court. The best the defense could say is that maybe he had committed a burglary the week before. But hey, make up facts if it makes you feel better.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by John-G View Post
    Or don't talk to the cops until you get your story straight. The fact that they talked to the cops without counsel is what doomed them. Even if you think you are 1000% in the right, just shut up until you get your story straight.

Also, never say things like "we cornered him like a rat".
    Or say "We told him if you don't stop we'll blow your f-cking head off."

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Guilty.

Good verdict. Both this case and the Rittenhouse one were pretty clear cut and both came out right.
    I agree.

Personally I feel that justice was done.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast