Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: CA Declares itself a Nation-State.

  1. #1

    Thumbs up CA Declares itself a Nation-State.

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/gavin-new...160012325.html

    (Bloomberg Opinion) -- California this week declared its independence from the federal government’s feeble efforts to fight Covid-19 — and perhaps from a bit more. The consequences for the fight against the pandemic are almost certainly positive. The implications for the brewing civil war between Trumpism and America’s budding 21st-century majority, embodied by California’s multiracial liberal electorate, are less clear.

    Speaking on MSNBC, Governor Gavin Newsom said that he would use the bulk purchasing power of California “as a nation-state” to acquire the hospital supplies that the federal government has failed to provide. If all goes according to plan, Newsom said, California might even “export some of those supplies to states in need.”

    “Nation-state.” “Export.”

    Federalism has always had rough spots, but conflict is rising and resolutions are not. California is a sanctuary state while the Trump administration is fond of immigration dragnets. Marijuana is grown, marketed and used in abundance in the state while the White House conjures more restrictions. The Trump administration endorses extreme gun rights; California has other ideas. Most of all, Trump’s failure to act, or even take responsibility for acting, in the face of pandemic has required California, like other states, to look out for itself.

    One conflict, however, encompasses all others, and could galvanize Californians into new ways of thinking about their state and its relationship to Washington. The GOP war on democracy is inspired by a drive for racial and cultural supremacy that jeopardizes the democratic aspirations and human rights of California’s multiracial citizenry.

    From Fort Sumter to Little Rock to Montgomery, the blueprint for states opposing federal control has a recurring theme. But there is no reason that states can’t adopt a racist playbook for other ends. If California and other 21st-century polities withhold revenue, or otherwise distance themselves from Washington’s control, legal and political battles will escalate. Republicans will have a legitimate constitutional argument — but it will be a morally tainted and politically illegitimate one so long as they continue to subvert majority rule.

    The experience of states battling Covid-19 while the White House devotes its energy to winning the news cycle may be instructive. What is the difference, conceptually, between a state deploying its power to protect its population’s health and a state using it to protect its population’s democratic rights?

    John C. Calhoun, who used the theory of states’ rights to defend the institution of slavery, is not generally a philosophical lodestar for liberal Democrats such as Newsom. But if Republicans (or foreign friends) succeed in sabotaging democracy in November, Calhoun’s theory of nullification, which posited that states have the power to defy federal law, could be ripe for a comeback on the left coast. With the heirs of the Confederacy now reigning in Washington, turnabout might be very fair play.
    When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? - Miguel de Cervantes, (Don Quixote)

    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Federal Reserve Notes of patriotic central banks



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Secede X 2, first from the fed gov, and then from Cali.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Secede X 2, first from the fed gov, and then from Cali.
    Each state is an independent "nation-state" already. The corporate federal government has no lawful jurisdiction outside of the sovereign city of Washington DC except by consent of the individual, when they agree to be identified as a U.S. Citizen (identifies as the ALL CAPS NAME, actually, not the living human), which is a nice term for saying voluntary employee of the federal corporation and thus subject to the rules of the corporation. The United States of America is a geographical area with boundaries between each "nation-state", acting as a cooperative union. It's not a legal entity. The United States is a legal entity.

    The legal f'ery that's been undertaken since the Civil War has screwed up all of our understanding of what the various words and terms mean in a legal sense. There's a reason the founder's original 13th Amendment barred lawyers from holding office but that little tidbit has been mostly memory holed. The lawyers have been hard at work ever since building a parallel legal system and tricking everyone into consenting to it's jurisdiction.
    Last edited by devil21; 04-09-2020 at 02:41 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

    Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

    Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

    But now you can't talk to people because of "social distancing"....brought to you by shills and politicians.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/gavin-new...160012325.html
    ... Most of all, Trump’s failure to act, or even take responsibility for acting, in the face of pandemic has required California, like other states, to look out for itself.

    One conflict, however, encompasses all others, and could galvanize Californians into new ways of thinking about their state and its relationship to Washington. The GOP war on democracy is inspired by a drive for racial and cultural supremacy that jeopardizes the democratic aspirations and human rights of California’s multiracial citizenry.

    From Fort Sumter to Little Rock to Montgomery, the blueprint for states opposing federal control has a recurring theme. But there is no reason that states can’t adopt a racist playbook for other ends.
    ...
    The experience of states battling Covid-19 while the White House devotes its energy to winning the news cycle may be instructive. What is the difference, conceptually, between a state deploying its power to protect its population’s health and a state using it to protect its population’s democratic rights?

    John C. Calhoun, who used the theory of states’ rights to defend the institution of slavery,...
    Well, that's an all around awful article. Nothing but leftist propaganda. Translation: Orange man bad, GOP are racists. And in the end, that article is against Federalism, it's leftists that want their agenda enforced at the Federal level.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-09-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Each state is an independent "nation-state" already. The corporate federal government has no lawful jurisdiction outside of the sovereign city of Washington DC except by consent of the individual, when they agree to be identified as a U.S. Citizen (identifies as the ALL CAPS NAME, actually, not the living human), which is a nice term for saying voluntary employee of the federal corporation and thus subject to the rules of the corporation. The United States of America is a geographical area with boundaries between each "nation-state", acting as a cooperative union. It's not a legal entity. The United States is a legal entity.

    The legal f'ery that's been undertaken since the Civil War has screwed up all of our understanding of what the various words and terms mean in a legal sense. There's a reason the founder's original 13th Amendment barred lawyers from holding office but that little tidbit has been mostly memory holed. The lawyers have been hard at work ever since building a parallel legal system and tricking everyone into consenting to it's jurisdiction.
    Yep.
    There is no spoon.

  7. #6
    California just gave the federal government 500 ventilators they won't need afterall to distribute to other states. The federal govt. has plenty of supplies. Why didn't they trade?

    They probably did, the OP is just fake news.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

    "Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    "Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    California just gave the federal government 500 ventilators they won't need afterall to distribute to other states. The federal govt. has plenty of supplies. Why didn't they trade?

    They probably did, the OP is just fake news.
    These states are figuring out that the last thing you want to do is put people seriously ill with COVID19 on ventilators, because it kills them.

    Are Ventilators Killing COVID-19 Infected Patients? Doctors Speak Out

    As soon as that NYC physician went public with this, Cumo gave back most of their ventilators, and I see Newsom is following suit.

    And Trump forced GM to make 30,000. I guess we'll export them to other countries, but I wonder if anyone will take them now that this news is getting out?
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Well, that's an all around awful article. Nothing but leftist propaganda. Translation: Orange man bad, GOP are racists. And in the end, that article is against Federalism, it's leftists that want their agenda enforced at the Federal level.
    But if they leave all the better for the rest of the country.
    When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? - Miguel de Cervantes, (Don Quixote)

    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Federal Reserve Notes of patriotic central banks



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post
    These states are figuring out that the last thing you want to do is put people seriously ill with COVID19 on ventilators, because it kills them.

    Are Ventilators Killing COVID-19 Infected Patients? Doctors Speak Out

    As soon as that NYC physician went public with this, Cumo gave back most of their ventilators, and I see Newsom is following suit.

    And Trump forced GM to make 30,000. I guess we'll export them to other countries, but I wonder if anyone will take them now that this news is getting out?
    As far as I understand it, reprogramming the ventilator pressure lower and changing the cycles could conceivably make them useful. But testing on animals first is advisable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again



Similar Threads

  1. Obama declares state of emergency as of 6/25
    By Original_Intent in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
  2. The Federal Government Declares War on the Nation
    By SARTRE in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 07:37 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
  4. OK Declares State Sovereignty
    By freelance in forum National Sovereignty
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 09:21 PM
  5. Pro-Western Georgia Declares State of Emergency
    By Give me liberty in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 12:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •