Thread: M2 money supply has been increased more since Sept than the entire Great Recession

M2 money supply has been increased more since Sept than the entire Great Recession

12% increase since Sept 19 compared to 9% between Dec 07-July 09!

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2

Money printer goes brrrrrrrrrrr

HT to Jim Grant for mentioning this during a CNBC interview just now. Immediately after he said it, he was cut off for a "breaking news" alert, which was a nothingburger then straight to commercial. Now, now Jimmy, you know you can't talk about things like that.
    Last edited by devil21; 04-07-2020 at 10:13 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    12% increase since Sept 19 compared to 9% between Dec 07-July 09!

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2

Money printer goes brrrrrrrrrrr

HT to Jim Grant for mentioning this during a CNBC interview just now. Immediately after he said it, he was cut off for a "breaking news" alert, which was a nothingburger then straight to commercial. Now, now Jimmy, you know you can't talk about things like that.

This is a little nitpicky but I really think the true money supply is the monetary base (M0). And of course it's been skyrocketing also. But the reason I think the base is more important is that the base drives all the other derivatives of the base (M1,M2,M3). If the base goes up (it goes up from printing money), the other versions of the money supply will eventually follow. So the base tells you the true story. You could get fooled by M2 if velocity is low, like from 2008 until now. If you were only looking at M2 you might think we've been ok even though the truth is we raised the base from .8 trillion to 4.5 trillion. So even if we hadn't launched QE infinity, and we kept the base at 4.5 trillion, at some point velocity would pick up to historical normals, M2 would go way up, and we still be facing massive price increases.

Michael Burry, of The Big Short fame and also medical school grad, called this stock market selloff and shorted stocks in size has been offering up takes that basically agree with what I think. He says the lockdown is insane. The cost outweighs the benefits by orders of magnitude. The people chortling that Trump is an idiot for pushing a drug that might work and has few negatives are idiots.

And the relevant part of this thread is he says the Fed should stop paying interest on reserves. A big reason QE never caused inflation is because banks just hold the cash instead of lending it. The Fed likely wouldn't have needed to expand their balance sheets to this degree if they weren't paying banks to not lend money.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post

Michael Burry, of The Big Short fame and also medical school grad, called this stock market selloff and shorted stocks in size has been offering up takes that basically agree with what I think. He says the lockdown is insane. The cost outweighs the benefits by orders of magnitude. The people chortling that Trump is an idiot for pushing a drug that might work and has few negatives are idiots.
    This lockdown isn't about a virus. That should be obvious by now. It's about keeping the proles scared and hiding while 5G goes up unopposed, the cash based economy is gutted (planned cashless society), the healthcare system is revamped (massive layoffs in the health sector not getting much coverage), and maybe some comet doom speculation thrown in. IOW, Agenda 2030 objectives implemented while everybody sits around watching netflix and drinking wine.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

bump...a year later.

Fed changed money supply reporting back in January
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...y-measurements

This guy claims the Fed has stopped updating weekly money supply figures entirely. I haven't verified it though. Any Fed watchers know if that's true?

Last edited by devil21; 05-15-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    bump...a year later.

Fed changed money supply reporting back in January
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...y-measurements

This guy claims the Fed has stopped updating weekly money supply figures entirely. I haven't verified it though. Any Fed watchers know if that's true?

He waits till the very end to say that it will still be reported monthly, so it will still be reported, just not weekly.

Found this:

Last week, Fed Chairman Jay Powell said he has given up on the money supply as an indicator of the economy and inflation.

Is monetarism dead?

I checked into the rumor that M2 is no longer being measured by the central bank, and found that they have discontinued the standard M2 data on a weekly basis, and have substituted this new M2 measure on a monthly basis.
    https://www.stockinvestor.com/50573/...s-coming-back/

The new chart:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2SL
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

We've all seen this, but it's worth repeating.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Gold has reached 1912 just this week and I do not think any of that yet reflects inflation and these increases are just due to the increase in money weakening currencies.
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Gold has reached 1912 just this week and I do not think any of that yet reflects inflation and these increases are just due to the increase in money weakening currencies.
    Commodities have pulled back from their highs. The headlines are saying the inflation scare is over. I think it's just getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Commodities have pulled back from their highs. The headlines are saying the inflation scare is over. I think it's just getting started.
    Ya I think its just about to start.
    Do something Danke

I'm expecting 2200 gold , 30+ silver and 5 1/4 copper by New Years with back to back years of double digit inflation in the housing market , double digit inflation in the used car market. People are not accustomed to seeing this but it is exactly what has happened in the past 1 1/4 years . Gas was 1.85 a yr ago , 3.00 now . Based on current market trends 2200 gold in the unbacked paper market will push the real retail price of physical gold to , say 2600 .
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-26-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    Do something Danke