Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food Shortages? Time for Trump to Announce New Victory Gardens and Urban Food Forests Push

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrp12 View Post
    Victory gardens are nice but you can make some money too if you become part of the supply chain.
    Yeah, it is true that local farming will be more of the norm going forward. The big corporate farms will be too busy feeding the 2.5B+ in China and India to have time to worry about us. Hopefully we can figure out how to keep the frankenfood out of the local farms. I'm currently setting up a decent sized home garden (3500sqft+). Everyone should try to do the same if they can. We're likely heading back into another Depression era so it's time to start acting accordingly.
    Last edited by devil21; 04-07-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    The bishop decides whether or not the person will be given assistance and works with the Relief Society president in determining what the person will be given.
    Just proved my point.

I went to a local Bishop for help for a homeless kid who a local "Christian" church was going to call the cops on. The Bishop helped the kid & he is no longer homeless & is working on his own.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Just proved my point.

I went to a local Bishop for help for a homeless kid who a local "Christian" church was going to call the cops on. The Bishop helped the kid & he is no longer homeless & is working on his own.
    Is he Mormon now? Maybe it depends on the bishop. The ones in Nevada definitely turn people away based on their religion or other things.

Just bought these today at hardware store. 10 bucks. Radishes days to harvest 28 days. I could live on kale and what I catch fishing forever. Boring but I will live.

Last edited by James_Madison_Lives; 04-07-2020 at 08:26 PM.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ‘Victory’ garden good in any event.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

They had their crops attacked by a flock of birds when they were colonizing Utah and prayed to have the birds ran off and it happened. When that happens to you then you can have a belief system pass.
    All. Christians believe in the story of Joseph. He stored up grain in 7 years of plenty because he knew the 7 years of famine were coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Because a significant portion of the migrant work force that grows and harvests the food is gone and border is closed. I guess we get what we wanted. It's not about hoarding as much as production for the next quarter is coming due and the runs on some groceries when this began is going to have a significant set back on future demand. Also I have read that for some reason farmers are having trouble getting seeds and they are sold out
    Ahhh never fear, Bill Gates in on that too.

"Doomsday Seed Vault" in the Arctic Bill Gates, Rockefeller and the GMO giants know something we don’t
    http://www.laleva.org/eng/2007/12/do...g_we_dont.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

So question. For limited garden space, what 4 or 5 items should I grow?

Was thinking Spinach, leaf lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and Swiss chard, and/or red/green bell peppers.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Also....what do people think about these hydroponic systems? Like the stackable ones.

The wisdom of Swordy:

They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Was thinking Spinach, leaf lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and Swiss chard, and/or red/green bell peppers.
    Bell peppers is a good source of Vitamin C, potassium and riboflavin. Grow foods that give the best vitamin levels.

Broccoli: B vitamins and fiber

Spinach: High in iron and fairly east to grow

Beets: High in vitamin C, iron and potassium. The leaves are edible too and great in a salad--high in calcium and magnesium. Great for fermenting too.

Sweet potatoes: High in Vitamin A and manganese.

Tomatoes: Rich in lycopene. (Cancer fighter)

Carrots: Beta carotene and Vitamin K.

Cauliflower: Vitamin C and manganese.

Garlic--lots of garlic! the best antibiotic in the world.

Cabbage: Vitamin K and phosphorous. Also great for making fermented Sauer kraut. <----Great in keep your gut healthy.

Brussel sprouts: Rich in Vitamin C, magnesium and other good minerals and a good protein.

That's how I try to plan my garden by things that keep me healthy. No pesticides, no herbicides No GMO's just heirloom or Organic. Also you can plant herbs like basil with the tomatoes to keep bugs away. Oregano is great and so on...

Hope that helps.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Also....what do people think about these hydroponic systems? Like the stackable ones.

Maybe if you're in an apartment..

Plants are designed for dirt.

Seems reasonable to me but I would put the cucumbers away from the rest and throw in some onions.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I never tried one of those . Give one a try if it is cheap and your space outdoors is limited .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I never tried one of those . Give one a try if it is cheap and your space outdoors is limited .
    They make some that are cheap...but that one is 800. I found a different one that is around 150. Probably going with that if I can swing it. Funds are tight.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

They make some that are cheap...but that one is 800. I found a different one that is around 150. Probably going with that if I can swing it. Funds are tight.
    Ya , maybe 150 , maybe not but no way 800 . Moneys tight here too , basically 2/3rds of my income has been shut down since the second week of Mar and no end in sight.

Check out Asian Yard Long beans! Crazy huge bean yields with very little maintenance required. I mean literally imagine 2 feet long green beans. All you need is some kind of trellis or fence for them to grow on.

As for hydro systems, those systems are smaller than they appear and won't yield very much for the price, plus hydro has a very, very steep learning curve. You can make a simple hydro system really cheap from stuff you can get at Home DePot (heh) and Walmart if you're at all handy. A few 17gal plastic tubs, some PVC, a small water pump, a small aquarium air pump, a decent sized LED panel and few very cheap accessories from an online hydro shop. PM me if you want more info. I have a lot of experience with hydro from a past life.
    Last edited by devil21; 04-08-2020 at 11:51 AM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Permaculture in a urban city on 1/10 of an acre (4,356 sq.ft).

Check out the first table at this link for a fantastic yield analysis.

https://farm.bot/pages/yield

cheaper grow-light system

I made a non-hydroponic grow system out of a $50 wire shelving unit and 2 fluorescent light fixtures - for two growing shelves. Each fixture has four T-5 6500 K bulbs - which are 24-Watt each. Be aware that not all 24”/24 watt fluorescent tubes are interchangeable with all fixtures. The T-5s have a different diameter than the standard 24” grow-light fluorescent tubes I buy for my old grow-light fixture.

The shelf unit I used has shelves that are 36” W x 14” D. I bought one that was 54” tall, but wish I’d gotten one that is 72” tall instead. This would allow me to hang the top light from the top shelf, and I could examine the two top shelves without bending over (my back hurts). I use the lower shelves for storing supplies.

The 2 foot wide (by about 14" deep) 4 tube fluorescent fixtures have T-5 bulbs and currently cost $72 each.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/ViaVolt-...-V24/202985194
    You can definitely buy suitable fixtures for less than that. My set-up is in the living room and I wanted it to look a little classier than the standard white metal, so I was willing to pay more.

I purchased two separate four-fluorescent-tube fixtures, that use T-5 bulbs, because it’s more efficient for growing plants with higher-light requirements - but lettuce and seed germination have lower light requirements. You might be able to get away with using 2-tube fixtures, but if you’re buying something new, I suggest finding something with 4 tubes because each tube’s light has a limited optimal spread, so having 4 of them fills in the weaker spots. Really you could probably just use any standard 4 tube fixtures, though I would be sure to choose a size that designated "grow-lights" are made for. Just be aware that all 24” or 48” tubes aren’t the same diameter - they come in different diameters with different pins on the ends, so are not always interchangeable. Know which size you intend to use before buying anything and make sure "grow-lights" are made in the same size as the fixture you choose.
    Read about Fluorescent lamps sizes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent-lamp_formats

NOTE: The fluorescent tubes that came with my 4 tube fixture are so strong, they can bake and kill the seeds before they have a chance to sprout! This happened when I had the lights a good 12” away from the soil - so don’t use this kind for germinating seeds - unless maybe you have the lights very far from the seedlings and you better monitor things. (Same problem with very young seedlings and possibly young lettuce?)

I germinate seeds under a 2 tube fluorescent "grow-light" stand I bought over 20 years ago. When they get a little bigger, I move them under the stronger lights - at first only for a short time - they need to acclimate. Be aware, even fluorescent lights produce some heat and can cook younger, more sensitive plants.

I attach the lights with S-hooks and attach each hook to one link of a 9” length of metal chain (one length of chain attaches to right end of the fixture, the other to the left end.) This gives me the option of moving the hooks to a different link - allowing me to raise or lower the fixtures a bit when I need to. (Otherwise, you’d have to disassemble the whole thing and move the shelves the lights are attached to.)

Of course, both the shelves and fluorescent light fixtures come in 4 foot lengths, and there are newer kinds of grow lights now. This could probably be adapted for hydroponics. I know a guy who makes a lot of hydroponic stuff using plastic plumbing pipe and tubing and buckets, but I have not looked into hydroponics much myself.
    Last edited by Valli6; 04-09-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Is he Mormon now? Maybe it depends on the bishop. The ones in Nevada definitely turn people away based on their religion or other things.
    No- he was not. And, it also depends on funds as most local problems are taken care of through local church funds.
    There is no spoon.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I made a non-hydroponic grow system out of a $50 wire shelving unit and 2 fluorescent light fixtures - for two growing shelves. Each fixture has four T-5 6500 K bulbs - which are 24-Watt each. Be aware that not all 24”/24 watt fluorescent tubes are interchangeable with all fixtures. The T-5s have a different diameter than the standard 24” grow-light fluorescent tubes I buy for my old grow-light fixture.

The shelf unit I used has shelves that are 36” W x 14” D. I bought one that was 54” tall, but wish I’d gotten one that is 72” tall instead. This would allow me to hang the top light from the top shelf, and I could examine the two top shelves without bending over (my back hurts). I use the lower shelves for storing supplies.

The 2 foot wide (by about 14" deep) 4 tube fluorescent fixtures have T-5 bulbs and currently cost $72 each.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/ViaVolt-...-V24/202985194
    You can definitely buy suitable fixtures for less than that. My set-up is in the living room and I wanted it to look a little classier than the standard white metal, so I was willing to pay more.

I purchased two separate four-fluorescent-tube fixtures, that use T-5 bulbs, because it’s more efficient for growing plants with higher-light requirements - but lettuce and seed germination have lower light requirements. You might be able to get away with using 2-tube fixtures, but if you’re buying something new, I suggest finding something with 4 tubes because each tube’s light has a limited optimal spread, so having 4 of them fills in the weaker spots. Really you could probably just use any standard 4 tube fixtures, though I would be sure to choose a size that designated "grow-lights" are made for. Just be aware that all 24” or 48” tubes aren’t the same diameter - they come in different diameters with different pins on the ends, so are not always interchangeable. Know which size you intend to use before buying anything and make sure "grow-lights" are made in the same size as the fixture you choose.
    Read about Fluorescent lamps sizes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent-lamp_formats

NOTE: The fluorescent tubes that came with my 4 tube fixture are so strong, they can bake and kill the seeds before they have a chance to sprout! This happened when I had the lights a good 12” away from the soil - so don’t use this kind for germinating seeds - unless maybe you have the lights very far from the seedlings and you better monitor things. (Same problem with very young seedlings and possibly young lettuce?)

I germinate seeds under a 2 tube fluorescent "grow-light" stand I bought over 20 years ago. When they get a little bigger, I move them under the stronger lights - at first only for a short time - they need to acclimate. Be aware, even fluorescent lights produce some heat and can cook younger, more sensitive plants.

I attach the lights with S-hooks and attach each hook to one link of a 9” length of metal chain (one length of chain attaches to right end of the fixture, the other to the left end.) This gives me the option of moving the hooks to a different link - allowing me to raise or lower the fixtures a bit when I need to. (Otherwise, you’d have to disassemble the whole thing and move the shelves the lights are attached to.)

Of course, both the shelves and fluorescent light fixtures come in 4 foot lengths, and there are newer kinds of grow lights now. This could probably be adapted for hydroponics. I know a guy who makes a lot of hydroponic stuff using plastic plumbing pipe and tubing and buckets, but I have not looked into hydroponics much myself.
    I had no luck trying to grow with fluorescent light maybe my wattage was just too low. But great luck with full spectrum light, which many people don't know you don't have to spend a fortune on, you can get the same thing at a pet store. It's the kind of light you get for your pet iguana. They need full spectrum light or they get sick. 40 bucks versus 100 for a "grow light" at the garden shop. It's the same damn thing.

Something else cool:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/growr...b037d17d2654a4

Ikea Lab Releases Free Designs For A Garden Sphere That Feeds A Neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post
    I had no luck trying to grow with fluorescent light maybe my wattage was just too low. But great luck with full spectrum light, which many people don't know you don't have to spend a fortune on, you can get the same thing at a pet store. It's the kind of light you get for your pet iguana. They need full spectrum light or they get sick. 40 bucks versus 100 for a "grow light" at the garden shop. It's the same damn thing.
    I wouldn’t buy them from a garden center where they’re likely to be overpriced and I wouldn’t use a spot lamp for a plant, because they get very hot. Understand that to work well, the light needs to be just a few inches above the top of the plant - as little as 1 or 2” depending on the situation.

You can find something like Phillips or Sylvania fluorescent grow light tubes much cheaper at a hardware store (home depot or Lowes) and they don’t produce as much heat as a spot lamp. Here’s a 4 foot one for $9 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...9167/203865702 Just be aware that a 2 foot or 4 foot fluorescent bulb/tube can come in different diameter sizes (T-5, T-8, T-10, T-12 etc) and have different prices - some are more efficient than others. It depends on what color light your plants need to grow well - all-green plants like lettuce and most houseplants, don’t necessarily need the most expensive grow-lights, but with heavily flowering or fruiting plants, you would want to go with the more efficient “full spectrum” kind.

There are also LED grow lights available now, I assume they are cooler than lamps, but the ones I had looked at over the past few years seemed more expensive than fluorescents. Maybe the price will come down?
    Last edited by Valli6; 04-13-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post

Something else cool:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/growr...b037d17d2654a4

Ikea Lab Releases Free Designs For A Garden Sphere That Feeds A Neighborhood

Basic shop light fluoros will work for starting seeds but won't sustain mature growth. They also need to be ridiculously close to the seedlings (couple inches) to have much effect. You need T3 type fluoros to sustain mature growth. Those reptile lamps will work but create a lot of heat. May as well just go with good ol' metal halide or high pressure sodium if you can keep the heat from affecting growth. A whole lot more useable light for your plants with MH or HPS. The catch is that you need a proper 75w MH or HPS HID ballast to support a MH or HPS bulb, not just a 120v plug in cord.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/172752/MP-1034.html
    Last edited by devil21; 04-13-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Stocking up is what makes this problem worse. It's what causes shortages. Are you part of the NWO? Who are you working with??? I am reporting you.
    No, it's not. Because of my TP stockpile, I'm fine not buying any for months freeing up tp on store shelves for those who choose not to keep extra on hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

In a few states, seeds are considered non-essential....un-$#@!ing-believable

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    In a few states, seeds are considered non-essential....un-$#@!ing-believable

That's an order to starve.

Gardening is the most dangerous act a person can commit against the various systems of oppression.

Hate Big Pharma? Producing your own food is good exercise and the food you produce is healthy. Grow your own damn food.

Hate Big Ag? Grow your own damn food.

Hate Big Government? Don't become dependent on it and don't pay taxes for the fruits of your labor. Grow your own damn food.

Hate Big Oil? Every ounce of food you produce means that it doesn't have to be transported from somewhere else using oil. Grow your own damn food.

Hate the Military Industrial Complex/War Machine? Producing your own food at home not only gives you healthy nutritious food, it also gives you something with which to barter and you don't pay taxes on it to support the war machine. Grow your own damn food.

Hate the Media? Stop giving it your attention and get outside. Grow your own damn food.

Growing your own damn food is the ultimate act of defiance. As Ron Finley says "Growing a garden is the most Gangsta thing you can do. If you ain't got no garden, you ain't no Gangsta."

Last edited by FunkBuddha; 04-14-2020 at 09:00 AM.

If you are DIY inclined and want to save money try these guys. They have lights ready to go out of the box too. www.rapidled.com
    Last edited by tommyrp12; 04-15-2020 at 01:02 PM.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123