Thread: All beaches should be open to individuals who want to fish for food

All beaches should be open to individuals who want to fish for food

If the scenario continues to play out where

(1) non-essential businesses are closed

(2) the government only plans on giving $1200 to a work force that is >60% paycheck to paycheck over a multi-month lock down who have rent to pay

(3) homeless no longer receive charity do to drastic reduction of charitable workforce on road

then why are we not allowing individuals access to the largest source of free food?

Fishing should be considered an essential trip for food.

All beaches should be open to individuals who are acquiring food BEFORE the end of April.

We should be pro-active rather than reactive to a potential moment that comes along when the majority run out of money.

Allow individuals access to a source of food besides their neighbors pantry.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://archive.is/usAdr

Quote Originally Posted by LATimes.com
    L.A. County’s beaches, piers, beach bike paths, beach access points, public trails and trailheads are closed through at least April 19. That order covers beaches in every coastal city and unincorporated area of the county.

How many tens of thousands of homeless people live in LA? They are not likely to be getting stimulus checks in any kind of reasonable time period either.

All public waterways should be open to fishing . I agree .

Well in Serbia and in some Balkan countries your allowed to do so and do fishing as long you return home and only home by 5pm curfew.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post

How many tens of thousands of homeless people live in LA? They are not likely to be getting stimulus checks in any kind of reasonable time period either.

A disaster relief check isn't going to help a homeless person. If anything, they, along with current welfare recipients, are the people least affected by this whole thing. In fact, it actually doesn't make any economic sense to cut them a $1200 check. And I highly doubt easier access to fishing will change anything. They are homeless for a reason.

This is Prime Time to put Agorism into Practice. Educate others, have others practice with you...

In a nutshell, libertarian is an impractical philosophy, Agorism is the practical solution that can be applied to everyday life.

Skip the fishing “permits”. Yes, the onus is on you, but if enough people participate... it must start somewhere.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    A disaster relief check isn't going to help a homeless person. If anything, they, along with current welfare recipients, are the people least affected by this whole thing. In fact, it actually doesn't make any economic sense to cut them a $1200 check. And I highly doubt easier access to fishing will change anything. They are homeless for a reason.
    There are a lot of thigs Gov.'s could do . The states that still tax food ( barbaric , I know , but about half do ) could suspend sales tax on food , waive fishing license fees , suspend state tax on gasoline , suspend sales tax on utilities etc

In my poorest time of life, I survived for over a month on locally caught fish.

I concur.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I concur.
    Ya , when I was young I might fish an hour or two after work five times a week . That's what I ate for dinner until payday probably most of the time .

I concur.
    What percentage of homeless people in California are rugged individualists who would know how to survive by fishing? I am guessing .01%.

Nashville sits right on the Cumberland River and the Stones River, and Percy Priest Lake and Old Hickory Lake. Within blocks of those rivers and lakes you will find truckloads of panhandlers. From where Old Hickory Blvd comes off I-40, you could practically throw a rock and hear it splash in Percy Priest. There are dozens of places where the rivers run in places where there is plenty of unpatrolled public access. I have walked the entire east side from Shelby Bottoms to Percy Priest Dam. I have never seen a homeless person trying to fish for food. There are gorgeous catfish by the hundreds right there for the catching.

There is plenty of access where we live and regular working people spend their days off sitting on the shoreline fishing. Some people leave some of their gear. There is a homeless guy living behind one of the hotels right off I-40 but he would rather dumpster dive at the hotel and panhandle out front than walk over to the lake.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I don't understand how $1200 wouldn't help a homeless person. How are you going to argue that with a straight face?

Also they are homeless, they are not all helpless. Even the best of us can have our lives come crashing down on us in an instant. Acts of god and what not...

Keep this situation of closures and lockdown up and they will be forced to make a decision to survive.

We should be increasing the number of options available to the broke and hungry, not limiting them.

Well, we'll disagree about the homeless, but I absolutely agree anyone currently on the dole(SSI/Disabiulity/veterans) shouldn't get another dime.

I can't believe how many of these types in youtube comments alone "are we getting the check too???" But WHY? Their financial situation literally wasn't changed by this, in fact, this would just be a bonus on top of their untouchable payments. When I question them getting this payment, I just get back their resume and excuses of why they didn't save for retirement and they deserve more now because of the virus, or something. $#@!ing ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieInColorado View Post
    Well, we'll disagree about the homeless, but I absolutely agree anyone currently on the dole(SSI/Disabiulity/veterans) shouldn't get another dime.

I can't believe how many of these types in youtube comments alone "are we getting the check too???" But WHY? Their financial situation literally wasn't changed by this, in fact, this would just be a bonus on top of their untouchable payments. When I question them getting this payment, I just get back their resume and excuses of why they didn't save for retirement and they deserve more now because of the virus, or something. $#@!ing ridiculous.
    What was government's role that created the situation in which they ended up homeless?

Did they lose their home due to property taxes? (for renters landlord property tax increases)

Did government prevent them from working due to COVID-19 lockdown, licensing requirements, bond or insurance requirements?

Were they prevented from working by a personal vendetta from various government officials or physically abused to the point of disability by jack booted thugs we call the police? (there are 2 million government employees in the US with power to destroy or effect your life. If not directly through family and friends or other means)

I can keep going on but the point is don't be so quick to judge how people ended up on government assistance through no fault of their own and in many cases by government or government employees.
    Last edited by kahless; 04-05-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    What was government's role that created the situation in which they ended up homeless?

Did they lose their home due to property taxes? (for renters landlord property tax increases)

Did government prevent them from working due to COVID-19, licensing requirements, bond or insurance requirements?

Were they prevent by a personal vendetta by various government officials or physically abused back jack booted thugs we call the police? (there are 2 million government employees in the US with power to destroy or effect your life. If not directly through family and friends or other means)

I can keep going on but the point is don't be so quick to judge how people ended up on government assistance through no fault of their own and in many cases by government employees.
    Kindly point out where I was quick to judge anyone here? You're the one claiming a $1200 payment wouldn't help the homeless, all I said was I disagreed and then you made a bunch of assumptions about how I came to my disagreement.

You must be super fun to be around in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieInColorado View Post
    Kindly point out where I was quick to judge anyone here? You're the one claiming a $1200 payment wouldn't help the homeless, all I said was I disagreed and then you made a bunch of assumptions about how I came to my disagreement.

You must be super fun to be around in real life.
    It was Krugminator2 that said $1200 would not help the homeless, not me. Here is your quote that I was replying to which clearly says you have an issue with people taking assistance which all I am saying is do not be that quick to judge the reasoning.

anyone currently on the dole(SSI/Disabiulity/veterans) shouldn't get another dime.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Makes sense.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

The Ghost of Tom Joad
    Bruce Springsteen

Man walks along the railroad track
    He's Goin' some place, there's no turnin' back
    The Highway Patrol chopper comin' up over the ridge
    Man sleeps by a campfire under the bridge
    The shelter line stretchin' around the corner
    Welcome to the New World Order
    Families sleepin' in their cars out in the Southwest
    No job, no home, no peace, no rest, No Rest!

And The highway is alive tonight
    Nobody's foolin' nobody as to where it goes
    I'm sitting down here in the campfire light
    Searchin' for the Ghost of Tom Joad

He pulls his prayer book out of a sleepin' bag
    The preacher lights up a butt and takes a drag
    He's waitin' for the time when the last shall be first and the first shall be last
    In a cardboard box 'neath the underpass
    With a one way ticket to the promised land
    With a hole in your belly and a gun in your hand
    Lookin' for a pillow of solid rock
    Bathin' in the cities' aqueducts

And The highway is alive tonight
    Nobody's foolin' nobody as to where it goes
    I'm sittin' down here in the campfire light
    With the Ghost of old Tom Joad

Now Tom Said; "Ma, whenever ya see a cop beatin' a guy
    Wherever a hungry new born baby cries
    Wherever there's a fight against the blood and hatred in the air
    Look for me ma'
    I'll be there

Wherever somebody's strugglin' for a place to stand
    For a decent job or a helpin' hand
    Wherever somebody is strugglin' to be free
    Look in their eyes ma,
    You'll see me

And the highway is alive tonight
    nobody's foolin' nobody as to where it goes
    I'm sittin' down here in the campfire light
    With the Ghost of Tom Joad

Songwriters: BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

crap , i was counting on coastie to buy me a beer once in awhile in my retirement ( i retired in 2016 )

I can't even begin to say how surreal it is to see a thread title like this on the Ron Paul Forums. I feel like I've awoken in Bolshevik Russia. Everyone needs to stop agreeing to that word "allowed", too. This needs to be discussed in the correct context of evil humans trying to prevent other humans from exercising their freedom.

As for the homeless, the vast majority are mentally ill and/or drug addicts. They need help, now, just as they did a year ago. 1200 bucks isn't going to do anything but buy drugs, booze or get one of them robbed by another one. They need to be housed, though many refuse it. They need bathrooms and access to sanitation. They need food and dog food (many have dogs). They need addiction and mental health help. And fishing? Ha. With what fishing poles, line, hooks and bait?
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

-GLP poster

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    And fishing? Ha. With what fishing poles, line, hooks and bait?
    I can't speak to the homeless and all their issues, but poor folks used to be able to go fishing, with everything provided, for a buck or two, back before government got into the act, regulating and licensing and banning everything.

This boat worked in my home town back in the 50s.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Our governor suspended fishing license requirements for April. You can fish for free here.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    This is Prime Time to put Agorism into Practice. Educate others, have others practice with you...

In a nutshell, libertarian is an impractical philosophy, Agorism is the practical solution that can be applied to everyday life.

Skip the fishing “permits”. Yes, the onus is on you, but if enough people participate... it must start somewhere.
    Depends. Opening day on Wilsons Creek here in N.C. was packed despite Governors orders. But, then, it usually is. Were it not for 'permits' that creek would be fished out in a season. Permits pay to have that creek restocked 7 times a year.

I can't speak to the homeless and all their issues, but poor folks used to be able to go fishing, with everything provided, for a buck or two, back before government got into the act, regulating and licensing and banning everything.

This boat worked in my home town back in the 50s.

I hear you but what I'm saying is the people living on the streets are overwhelmingly mentally ill and/or drug addicts. They aren't likely to be going fishing anytime soon. If they did, it would look something like this:

My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

-GLP poster

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hear you but what I'm saying is the people living on the streets are overwhelmingly mentally ill and/or drug addicts. They aren't likely to be going fishing anytime soon. If they did, it would look something like this:
    That is my take.

I just reread my comments and I could see how they would be perceived as harsh. I think a lot of it depends on your perception of who a homeless person is. I live in the Ann Arbor area which attracts a ton of freeloaders. And even this communist city is fed up with these people. I can promise you they aren't fishing for food and they aren't just down and out people people beaten down by big government. They are loathsome people gaming the system. They give puppy dog eyes all the while making a couple hundred bucks a day and then scamming the government out of money.

These articles are par for the course.
    http://www.annarbor.com/news/panhand...city-official/
    http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/h...g-panhandlers/
    https://www.michiganradio.org/post/n...ey-panhandlers
    https://www.newsbreak.com/michigan/a...ler-dies-at-66
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 04-06-2020 at 06:55 PM.

That is my take.

I just reread my comments and I could see how they would be perceived as harsh. I think a lot of it depends on your perception of who a homeless person is. I live in the Ann Arbor area which attracts a ton of freeloaders. And even this communist city is fed up with these people. I can promise you they aren't fishing for food and they aren't just down and out people people beaten down by big government. They are loathsome people gaming the system. They give puppy dog eyes all the while making a couple hundred bucks a day and then scamming the government out of money.

These articles are par for the course.
    http://www.annarbor.com/news/panhand...city-official/
    http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/h...g-panhandlers/
    https://www.michiganradio.org/post/n...ey-panhandlers
    https://www.newsbreak.com/michigan/a...ler-dies-at-66
    Well, I wouldn't be that harsh. In just Los Angeles alone, there are an estimated 60K living on the streets and surely some must be harmless or nice enough but most are still massively f-d in the head and some dangerous. I'm not judging them and how they got there but just stating a fact and they DO need help but not 1200 bucks. Their situation is WAY beyond that. The money from thin air would be better spent on public bathrooms and showers. Throwing 1200. bucks at them is more like the kind of thing $#@!lib commies would do while they're still defecating in the streets. Dunno if you've ever heard Dr Drew talk about this but he's spot on.

You say you're in Ann Arbor and I'm in Grand Rapids (outside of the city). The homeless are way better off here (and they're near the river so that could fish, if capable), than in big cities like LA and Seattle, though someone was murdered in one of the camps not long ago. I remember, decades ago, seeing stuff about Bombay and people living in cardboard boxes. It's astonishing our country has become that.

Anyway, gardens and prepping are good but I also want this bull$#@! communist lockdown ended and the economy restored. If we start thinking just how we're going to survive, we're not demanding our freedom and a functioning market.

-GLP poster

Loved that scene!

Of course they know what they're doing!

Hey, Santini, what's this?

It's a fish...

Yeah, that's right...and what are we gonna do with it?

Catch bigger fish.

Ya see?!

That being said...stop being so hard on the homeless...I've had crews that looked worse than that.