Thread: Just Found Out My Uncle Has Kung Flu and is in Bad Shape

Just Found Out My Uncle Has Kung Flu and is in Bad Shape

Well, there you go, there's my anecdotal example and yes, my uncle would be calling it the kung flu with a myriad of other more colorfully bigoted language included.

Been on ventilator since Tuesday and has pneumonia now. Boston, MA.

We're not close or anything, haven't spoken to him since my dad died 5 years ago, and not for 25 years before that, just sharing that I knew someone(couldn't find the other Do you know someone thread).

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah my best friend has it, although he is recovering. He is quarantined with the rest of his family, some who are at risk. He seemed to have a more severe case, thought he might need to be hospitalized but symptoms are abating slowly.

Do they have hydroxychloroquine for him? Azithromycin? Z-pak?

Does he have pre-existing heart conditions?
    Last edited by dannno; 04-05-2020 at 12:16 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I have one friend in France who is recovering. Two different friends in the US lost family members. One had other complications, the other two were healthy until last week.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I have one friend in France who is recovering. Two different friends in the US lost family members. One had other complications, the other two were healthy until last week.
    My family and friends are mostly healthy they dont have to many health issues. Hope ur friend recovers.

I know two people who had it

A guy in his late 60s, diabetic (this virus-wise is hard on diabetics) had heart by-pass surgery years ago. He was sick at home with what his doctor said was probably the virus. It caused him to have a heart attack. He was revived by EMTs and was being rushed to the hospital, but died on the way.

Also know a woman in her mid 80s - also diabetic - who went to the hospital ill. A CAT scan of the lungs showed that it was likely she had the coronavirus. She was tested and found positive. They gave her that anti-malarial drug* and she is now home and doing very well. [edit *Hydroxychloroquine]
    Last edited by Valli6; 04-06-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Hope ur friend recovers.
    Thank you.

I saw her in a video interview four days ago. She doesn’t sound like herself, but she says she is improving. In France they do not test until a patient is sick enough to be hospitalized. That means the numbers in France could be double what has been reported. My friends are not known to exaggerate. What they say is the truth as far as they know. They are there for teaching purposes, and they know many people who are sick. I don’t believe France has the rates of obesity, heart disease or diabetes we have here in the US, so that might mean more people are surviving. Friend’s husband has been tired, but has not had other symptoms.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Do they have hydroxychloroquine for him? Azithromycin? Z-pak?

Does he have pre-existing heart conditions?
    No idea what they're treating him with and yes, the entire side of the family has heart issues, cigarette smokers, pretty inactive (well that may be extreme, but they damn sure don't exercise).

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post

Also know a woman in her mid 80s - also diabetic - who went to the hospital ill. A CAT scan of the lungs showed that it was likely she had the coronavirus. She was tested and found positive. They gave her that anti-malarial drug and she is now home and doing very well.
    Hydroxychloroquine ftw!
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Hydroxychloroquine ftw!
    That's the one!
    I haven't memorized the spelling and didn't feel like looking it up.

UPDATE: How to remember the correct spelling of 'hydroxychloroquine' http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...93#post6938693
    Last edited by Valli6; 04-07-2020 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    That's the one!
    I haven't memorized the spelling and didn't feel like looking it up.
    Trump says it about 100 times a day during his press conferences trying to get doctors to prescribe it, and the mainstream media is still putting out garbage about how its an unproven treatment not approved for use with this brand new virus...

Trump says it about 100 times a day during his press conferences trying to get doctors to prescribe it, and the mainstream media is still putting out garbage about how its an unproven treatment not approved for use with this brand new virus...
    The government media organs have gone beyond biased, beyond partisan, beyond slanted, beyond treacherous.

They are toxic and treasonous.

Trump is right about this: they are the enemy of the people.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

State Governors have Banned it. (and though I heard that may be reversed,, still bad law)

In Michigan they are forcing healthy Seniors together with Covid Patients.. Michigan Governor was opposed to Life saving Medication.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The government media organs have gone beyond biased, beyond partisan, beyond slanted, beyond treacherous.

They are toxic and treasonous.

Trump is right about this: they are the enemy of the people.

Still doing it today..

Hydroxy chloro quine

You know, this is the impression I get from the internet, too - like there’s still some controversy about using the drug - but my husband tells me there is not - Hydroxychloroquine is what they’re using, and no one disputes that it’s useful. Real doctors aren't arguing about it's effectiveness.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Would almost bet my life that she was not a "Trumper".

But nice to read positive comments, credit where it's due and a good outcome for her and her family.

I hope they continue to recover fully.

Detroit rep says hydroxychloroquine, Trump helped save her life amid COVID-19 fight

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...mp/2955430001/

Paul Egan, Detroit Free Press Published 2:52 p.m. ET April 6, 2020 | Updated 6:01 p.m. ET April 6, 2020

LANSING – A Democratic state representative from Detroit is crediting hydroxychloroquine — and Republican President Donald Trump who touted the drug — for saving her in her battle with the coronavirus.

State Rep. Karen Whitsett, who learned Monday she has tested positive for COVID-19, said she started taking hydroxychloroquine on March 31, prescribed by her doctor, after both she and her husband sought treatment for a range of symptoms on March 18.

"It was less than two hours" before she started to feel relief, said Whitsett, who had experienced shortness of breath, swollen lymph nodes, and what felt like a sinus infection. She is still experiencing headaches, she said.
    Rep. Karen Whitsett

Rep. Karen Whitsett (Photo: Michigan House of Representatives)

Whitsett said she was familiar with "the wonders" of hydroxychloroquine from an earlier bout with Lyme disease, but does not believe she would have thought to ask for it, or her doctor would have prescribed it, had Trump not been touting it as a possible treatment for COVID-19.

Trump, at his daily coronavirus briefings, has repeatedly touted the drug in combination with the antibiotic azithromycin, despite criticism from health professionals that it is unproven and potentially dangerous. There have also been complaints that Trump's remarks have resulted in a shortage of the drug for those people who normally use it for its recommended purposes.

But Whitsett said Trump's comments helped in her case.

"It has a lot to do with the president ... bringing it up," Whitsett said. "He is the only person who has the power to make it a priority."

More: Second Michigan lawmaker diagnosed with COVID-19 as Legislature prepares to vote Tuesday

More: Legislative leaders at odds over extending Gov. Whitmer's emergency declaration

Asked whether she thinks Trump may have saved her life, Whitsett said: "Yes, I do," and "I do thank him for that."

Hydroxychloroquine is used to prevent and treat malaria and also used to treat lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, among other ailments.

Whitsett said she has been taking it in combination with antibiotics.

Trump tweeted a link to the Free Press story about Whitsett's experience on Monday and congratulated her. "So glad you are getting better!" Trump tweeted.

Congratulations to State Representative Karen Whitsett of Michigan. So glad you are getting better! https://t.co/v6z46rUDtg
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 6, 2020

Whitsett said her husband works as an engineer at Detroit Metropolitan Airport and the couple believes he was exposed at work. He is still awaiting the results of his COVID-19 test, she said.

She also has lost people close to her through COVID-19 — a fellow Detroit lawmaker and a member of the clergy, among others — and said the entire experience has been scary.

"This is a very uncertain time," she said. "As a lawmaker, I want to be sure, but I'm not always sure."

Among her symptoms was an inability to comfortably bend her head down to look at her phone, she said.

"There have been pandemics before, so we do know that there will be an end to it."

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there is no specific treatment for COVID-19. Those with mild symptoms are advised to stay home, self-isolate, get lots of rest, and stay hydrated. Those with severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, should seek medical treatment, the CDC says.

Whitsett, a freshman lawmaker, was a community activist in Detroit before her election.

She said too many people in Detroit are still not taking the virus seriously, and that needs to change.

"I see it in my own community — not being quarantined and still having house parties," she said.

Asked what she thinks of Trump's handling of the pandemic more generally, Whitsett said she credits Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan's relationship with Trump for helping to get the city what it needs to fight the virus.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee