Thread: Are these shortages the result of price inflation?

Are these shortages the result of price inflation?

I'm wondering if the shortages we are experiencing are the beginnings of massive price inflation. Since businesses are not allowed to raise prices to market level due to price gouging laws I have a feeling we may be seeing the beginning of price inflation for consumer goods.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/u...sks-wipes.html

https://www.winknews.com/2020/04/01/...price-gouging/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am still getting a pound of bacon at Obama prices . Although , fuel rose and bacon doubled under Obama and fuel is half that now.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am still getting a pound of bacon at Obama prices . Although , fuel rose and bacon doubled under Obama and fuel is half that now.
    My point is that shortages can be the same thing as inflation if you have price controls.

For example in Venezuela the government might dictate that toilet paper is 10 bolivars. But you can't buy any at that price so is it really 10 bolivars?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    My point is that shortages can be the same thing as inflation if you have price controls.

For example in Venezuela the government might dictate that toilet paper is 10 bolivars. But you can't buy any at that price so is it really 10 bolivars?
    Governments that produce stuff everywhere are taking control over manufacturing and stockpiling $#@! in case of $#@! hitting the fan and the other shoe dropping. It will be fine when production ramps up.

The country has over 300 million people. Every adult bought hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes over the last few weeks. Demand has outpaced the ability to produce and distribute. This is the same for every crisis like hurricanes and the price of water.

Lightbulb Free Market Capitalism

I got $50 face value of junk silver quarters for $650 FRN's today, about the same as before the corona shuck 'n jive. Private party transaction, so no sales tax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Yes , physical silver prices have remained pretty consistent pre plague , plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    The country has over 300 million people. Every adult bought hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes over the last few weeks. Demand has outpaced the ability to produce and distribute. This is the same for every crisis like hurricanes and the price of water.
    Probably, but it seems like the shortages are lasting longer than I thought they would. And it's not not just water in a hurricane crisis, it's most products, everywhere.

Let's see what happens when that helicopter money starts dropping.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monet...centtrends.htm

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.