Thread: Commander of aircraft carrier hit by coronavirus removed for 'poor judgment'

Exclamation Commander of aircraft carrier hit by coronavirus removed for 'poor judgment'

Commander of aircraft carrier hit by coronavirus removed for 'poor judgment' after sounding alarm

By Ryan Browne, Zachary Cohen and Jamie Crawford, CNN
    Updated 7:17 PM ET, Thu April 2, 2020

Washington (CNN)The commander of a US aircraft carrier that has been hit by a major outbreak of coronavirus has been relieved of command for showing "poor judgment" days after writing a memo warning Navy leadership that decisive action was needed to save the lives of the ship's crew, acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly announced on Thursday.

"Today at my direction the commanding officer of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, Captain Brett Crozier, was relieved of command by carrier strike group commander Rear Admiral Stewart Baker," Modly said during a Pentagon press briefing.

Commander of aircraft carrier hit by coronavirus outbreak warns Navy 'decisive action' is needed

Modly told reporters that Crozier was removed for showing "extremely poor judgment" and creating a "firestorm" by too widely disseminating the memo detailing his concerns, copying some 20 to 30 people.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/polit...ved/index.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow. It appears to me that the game theory in this situation is becoming chaotic...

It does make you wonder how this is now, and will affect, other ships and our entire military
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    It does make you wonder how this is now, and will affect, other ships and our entire military
    How did a ship crew got infected? they travel anywhere off the ship? like Japan?

Thou shalt not peel back the curtain!

Only approved newz may be released to the plebes.

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-07-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

I feel the same about him that I do about Snowden and Manning. It was the right thing to do, but when you take an action like that you have to expect punishment. The chain of command has to be kept intact or you risk chaos. Sometimes you have to make personal sacrifices for the greater good. His actions like Manning and Snowden were heroic.

I don't know what to think about this guy.

Vindman didn't use his chain of command either. And he's a putz.

All of the officer ranks from mid-way up are occupied by the equivalent of politicians.

Time will tell if this guy has played the game to his advantage.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Big media outlets are showing him being cheered as he leaves his ship.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...aptain+cheered

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Loose lips sink ships
    Yes

I've seen people violate OPSEC in the USCG and get in wayyyyyy more trouble than this guy did. Personally know a guy that went from E5 down to E4 for sending an email home saying we were somewhere off of Columbia(in a giant ass WHITE hulled boat that says United States Coast Guard on the side in black letters, super secret).

And this dude's driving a $#@!ing nuclear armed aircraft carrier, announcing to the world they're not fully combat ready and he probably gets another kush O-6 job as commander of fleet maintenance or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Loose lips sink ships
    I can see why. It got channeled through inappropriate chain of command. Were talking about being in charge of a multi=billion dollar piece of US Sovereignty which has major geopolitical implications while underway even in peace time. To let it be known that 100 (or so) sailors were sick tells our enemies that this ship is essentially operationally crippled. Also, that only 100 persons is enough to do so. This leaves a huge hole in the region where they were patrolling which could be filled by enemy forces, think South China Sea.

Now, those who might wish to attack such a vessel in the future doesn't need hyper sonic hellfire armor piercing titanium diamond tipped dragon skinned missiles. Instead, they should detonate a viral cloud that a ship could pass through. Or, simply, infect 10 wharf whores in a port of call and infect the crew that way. Personnally, I think you'd have better luck infecting a crew with option number two. Lets take it one step further and coordinate a group of wharf whores around the world and do this in every port of call that all carriers go to and you could in theory disable the fleet(s), or at least reduce the operational capabilities.

When I first heard this I thought, would a carrier in WW2 simply cease operations because 100 sailors died? I think not.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

By the way, going in to harms way as a guinea pig is covered by the oath to serve when you are inducted.

This is the dude the DNC should run.

Make Trump attack a Navy Captain who was dealing with Covid firsthand.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

I've been racking my brain over this for the last day.
    I think what the military did was the right protocol. He potentially endangered his crew and to an extent some of our "defenses" by letting the world know (apparently he cc'd personal contacts and they're the ones who leaked the situation) his ship could be on the verge of complete breakdown. Stuff like that should be attempted for resolve internally before whistleblowing. I'm not sure how many times he tried contacting superiors, but I don't think I would have proceeded this way unless I absolutely had to. And maybe he felt that way.

Could also be why he's being re-stationed and not court martialed. Either way, the MSM is parading this as an attack by Trump on the military. #NeverLetAGoodCrisisGoToWaste
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmm...an entire carrier group very publicly immobilized in Guam.

Like battleships moored at Pearl Harbor?

Almost 600 Theodore Roosevelt sailors have COVID-19, 4 hospitalized, Navy says

NAVAL BASE GUAM — Seabees assigned to Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 1 and 5 coordinate transportation of sailors assigned to the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt who have tested negative for COVID-19 and are asymptomatic from Naval Base Guam to government of Guam and military- approved commercial lodging.

By Andrew Dyer
    April 14, 2020

Four sailors on the San-Diego based aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt are in the hospital with COVID-19, the Navy said Tuesday. One is in intensive care.
    The hospital admissions come the day after a member of the crew died of complications of the virus after four days in the ICU. The Defense department has not released the name of the sailor.
    The Navy also said Tuesday that 589 of the Roosevelt’s crew have tested positive for the novel coronavirus. More than 4,000 of the crew have moved moved off the ship into housing on Guam, either in private homes or hotels.

The San Diego-based carrier has a total crew of roughly 4,845 service members, including its embarked air wing and command staff.

The Roosevelt pulled into Guam March 26 after several sailors on board tested positive for COVID-19.
    A letter written by the ship’s commanding officer, Capt. Brett Crozier, asking the Navy for more assistance for its sailors was leaked and broadly publicized, resulting in Crozier’s firing on April 2.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-with-covid-19