Thread: RAND PAUL: Government checks shouldn’t go to people like me

RAND PAUL: Government checks shouldn’t go to people like me

THIS story needs more coverage!
    (Washington Examiner)
    Rand Paul: Government checks shouldn’t go to people like me
    by Sen. Rand Paul
    March 22, 2020 01:54 PM

Did you know that the bipartisan coronavirus bailout bill will provide nearly everybody in my family with a check? And I’m not poor. I’m a United States senator.

As a member of the Senate, I think it’s an abomination for the government to send checks to U.S. senators.

But according to the 2018 tax data used for calculating eligibility, which shows that my wife Kelley and I earned only the Senate income, we will be eligible for a government bailout check.

My grown kids will also be eligible for checks. I have one son in college who will get a check, and I have two sons who now work and have not been laid off, who will get checks. My sons have friends who work in hotels and restaurants who are financially struggling right now. My sons do not want government checks. They want the money to go to the workers displaced by the COVID-19 virus quarantines and business closures.

My 89-year-old father-in-law, a proud veteran who lives on a military pension and Social Security, will get a check. He told me he’d rather an unemployed restaurant server get his check.

My multimillionaire brother-in-law has many assets, but his annual income will make him and his children eligible for a check. He is passionately certain that he does not need a government check and instead wants that money to go to someone who is unemployed because of the pandemic.

Madness. All-around madness. The government is basically saying, let’s print money, stuff it into the piñata, whack the piñata, and spew the money anywhere and everywhere. How is that a sound plan?

In all seriousness, though, why in the world would we send checks to employed people? Why in the world would we send checks to wealthy people when others are struggling?

Instead, we should expand unemployment benefits to business owners and self-employed workers such as hairdressers, nail technicians, writers, and other workers who may not currently be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Sherry Keown, owner and operator of Attitudes by Sherry, a hair salon in Bowling Green, Kentucky, described the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on her business:

We have had to close our doors. This could put me under. I still have to pay rent on my business, my mortgage, my car and health insurance, all while I have zero money coming in. I am watching my bank account dwindle as all of my regular payments are being debited, but nothing is coming in. The hairdressers who rent booths from me also have no income right now. Expanding unemployment insurance to us would be a lifeline, and it would be something we could count on regardless of how long this pandemic lasts.

Haste. Hasty decisions and government decisions, in general, are often laden with unintended consequences. Politicians fear that the public will judge them as indecisive. Politicians fear that even a natural disaster will be judged as "their fault."

So, they act, and act quickly they must, or the public might notice that the emperor has no clothes — or in this case, no money.

Instead of giving trillions of dollars to people not affected by the coronavirus-related quarantines and closures, why don’t we save the money for those who have actually become unemployed because of it?

As an alternative to the piñata-style bailout currently on the table, my plan would prioritize financial assistance for the most critically affected. It would expand unemployment benefits to allow immediate assistance for any worker who loses their job to the pandemic quarantine and would also expand unemployment insurance, temporarily, to self-employed workers who don’t normally pay into unemployment insurance. Additionally, my plan’s payroll tax holiday is for people who need it most, for those who make under $110,000 per household.

These changes are not without significant expense. But this is a real crisis that even someone like me, the most conservative and fiscally conscious senator in the country, is willing to spend federal dollars on to help the millions of workers displaced by a government quarantine.

I am not, however, interested in voting for any monstrosity that explodes our nation’s debt so we can send checks to rich people or even not-so-rich people who haven’t lost their job. Every precious dollar that goes to someone who doesn’t desperately need it is a dollar that didn’t go to a struggling mother who just lost her job as a server at the local diner and doesn’t know how she’ll afford groceries for her children.

So, as the hysteria consumes Congress, count my family and me out. We don’t want your government checks. We simply want to help those displaced by the quarantine and support our country’s efforts to reestablish normalcy as the virus abates.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...people-like-me
    Last edited by Valli6; 03-22-2020 at 10:16 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Will the mainstream media try to spin this, or just ignore it and ban people from Fedbook for quoting it?

Any bets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    THIS story needs more coverage!
    (Washington Examiner)
    Front page tomorrow morning here...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

We don’t want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The Trump Administration and various politicians have proposed sending $1000 checks to every American. This is meant to be a form of aid and stimulus during the COVID-19 pandemic. While well-intentioned, the need for this massive payout is dubious. Many people do not need or even want this money. There is already a severe debt problem with the Federal government, and there is no reason to make it worse.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Will the mainstream media try to spin this, or just ignore it and ban people from Fedbook for quoting it?

Any bets?
    I'll let you know. Posting right now.

My bet is that most people won't even get to see it they way they hide it
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined