Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old malaria drug might prevent and treat COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post

TONS (literally) of Vitamin C for IV drips were shipped to China, it was so much in demand, so there are suppliers out there already ramping up production.

Facebook banned us after we published this, tagging it as "fake" news, so this information is being suppressed.

Story: https://healthimpactnews.com/2020/to...n-wuhan-china/
    Heh... FB are a raft of überphagz. I just got canned for posting "Wuhan virus. Sue me." They are like bald-faced tyrants who make no pretense to anything better. Imagine if those people were in governmental power; the concentration camps would be many and full to bursting with VERY skinny people.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    jmdrake: I am going to potentially concede this point to you, after I research it more. I have a healthy distrust of pharmaceutical products and maybe jumped the gun here, but if these drugs have been proven safe and effective against viral infections, I agree it should be part of the solution, and will even help promote it as such.

I will post later on my research.
    Nothing wrong with a healthy distrust of pharmaceutical companies. If this were a new medication and not one that has been out since WWII with well-documented side effects I would be hesitant for sure to ever want it used on myself. Again, it's about risk versus benefits and for someone about to die, if this drug is showing promise then go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    so i should just stick with bourbon
    This is RIGHT thinking.

Carry on.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I'm not at liberty to give too much information because of HIPPA restrictions, but we have some high-probability COVID-19 patients at the small rural hospital where I work. The unfortunate thing about it is that the few testing kits we have must be sent out and may take days to get results. By the time their test results come back, I might already be showing symptoms, because I have been involved in their care.

In their current condition, I can assure you that these patients are not concerned with potential side effects of Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). One patient was placed on a ventilator early this week and another was intubated as I left work this morning. They are both older than 70. Both at high-risk. One may not live.

Modern medicine is a lot about risks versus benefits. If these were young patients with mild symptoms who weren't coughing so severely they can't take a breath and running high fevers (I'm talking >104F, which is very significant for seniors because the elderly usually do not run high fever), I'd say it might be worth worrying about things like long term kidney damage or heart failure.

IV vitamin bags will not do these patients any good at this point. While I am all about natural remedies over pushing pills on people, there comes a point where you have to honestly say what will be most effective in the moment. There are a lot of doctors out there who are more about running tests for big pharma than actually practicing the skills that doctors have utilized long before Pfizer or Glaxo-Smith-Kline started packaging pills.

The scary thing for me is that as a healthcare worker in the ER who is required to come in contact with these patients . . . our gowns, gloves, and simple mask/respirator supplies are running low. What's worse, is that when the PPE gets wet, it loses effectiveness. Anyone who has ever worn these things knows that the materials do NOT breathe, and you WILL sweat. A LOT. I'm more than a little nervous right now that I might be personally in for a rough few weeks, but like I said, I won't know until symptoms show. If I stop posting in the next few days, y'all can assume what happened.

One good thing about this whole thing, is that we are seeing a lot less 'nonsense' cases in the emergency department. People are heeding warnings and not going to hospitals unless having a true emergency that cannot wait. That's really the way it should always be. But it is nice to see folks using common sense and not abusing ERs as clinics.

I am in no way knocking 'alternative' medicine. There a lots of natural things you can do to try to stay healthy. I encourage y'all to pursue it while you're in good health.
    Four of my kids are in the same position and also in healthcare. They are also getting nervous. They just sent out testing on four possibles from patients they have been heavily exposed to. If any come back positive they are screwed and will be in lockdown for a bit.
    “The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I'm familiar with stem cell therapy in general, but was wondering if you had any links where it is used for viral infections, and if they are using it anywhere currently during this time with coronavirus patients?
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

Chloroquine?....more like BORE-oquine.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

I'm familiar with stem cell therapy in general, but was wondering if you had any links where it is used for viral infections, and if they are using it anywhere currently during this time with coronavirus patients?
    https://stemcelltherapyjacksonville....-and-covid-19/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

In another month or so, I will have 'Sweet Annie' (Artemisia annua) plants growing all over my yard, which is also used to treat malaria. Wonder if it works similarly? I planted it on purpose one year, because it smells good - but it's kind of "weedy"- it drops seeds and will appear all over the garden the next year. (Easy to pull out when young, less easy to pull in late summer when it matures into a 5-6' plant.)

(How Sweet Annie affects malaria)
    ...Artemisinin and its derivatives are toxic to the malarial parasite at nanomolar concentrations, causing specific membrane structural changes in the erythrocyte [blood?] stage that kill the parasite. In general, the mechanism of action involves 2 steps: activation followed by alkylation. Iron activates artemisinin into a free radical through an iron-mediated cleavage. The second step, alkylation, involves the formation of covalent bonds between the artemisinin-derived free radicals and the malarial proteins...

MUCH more: https://www.drugs.com/npp/sweet-wormwood.html
    ARTEMISIA ANNUA L.: THE HOPE AGAINST MALARIA AND CANCER
    JORGE F.S. FERREIRA1
    1 USDA-ARS, AFSRC. 1224 AIRPORT RD., BEAVER, WV 25813
    https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFile...aandcancer.pdf
    Side note: Artemisia annua (Sweet Annie) is related to, but a different plant from Artemisia absinthium (Wormwood) which is used to make absinthe and (I think?) gin. I have that plant too - has a different smell, borderline gross, till you get accustomed to it.

Yeah sure, just like you can go to that same pharmacy and buy toilet paper. And it needs a doctor's prescription....
    If you're going to a doctor or nurse to get your IV you still have that cost. The generic version of this drug is $21 per bottle as opposed to $360 for the name brand.

See: https://www.healthwarehouse.com/solr...RoCFusQAvD_BwE

The cost for your vitamin C IV drip is.....? And no, the average person isn't going to give it to himself / herself at home.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    In another month or so, I will have 'Sweet Annie' (Artemisia annua) plants growing all over my yard, which is also used to treat malaria. Wonder if it works similarly? I planted it on purpose one year, because it smells good - but it's kind of "weedy"- it drops seeds and will appear all over the garden the next year. (Easy to pull out when young, less easy to pull in late summer when it matures into a 5-6' plant.)

(How Sweet Annie affects malaria)

Side note: Artemisia annua (Sweet Annie) is related to, but a different plant from Artemisia absinthium (Wormwood) which is used to make absinthe and (I think?) gin. I have that plant too - has a different smell, borderline gross, till you get accustomed to it.
    Thanks for sharing! It does seem to have antiviral properties.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16902856

Worth looking into.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    Four of my kids are in the same position and also in healthcare. They are also getting nervous. They just sent out testing on four possibles from patients they have been heavily exposed to. If any come back positive they are screwed and will be in lockdown for a bit.
    Which brings up another question, what happens when all the healthcare workers have gone into lock down? I asked my dept. manager this morning and he said, "When that happens, we're screwed."

Forgive the hyperbole but this must be how those GIs felt riding in those Higgins boats towards the shoreline on Normandy. You just accept the fact that you've already bought it and do what you can for the time being. Maybe you'll get through unscathed.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Which brings up another question, what happens when all the healthcare workers have gone into lock down? I asked my dept. manager this morning and he said, "When that happens, we're screwed."

Forgive the hyperbole but this must be how those GIs felt riding in those Higgins boats towards the shoreline on Normandy. You just accept the fact that you've already bought it and do what you can for the time being. Maybe you'll get through unscathed.
    It's already happening, One daughter is a nurse in a pediatric clinic and she was telling us last night that they may close the clinic. The management is already calling patients telling them to stay home unless it is something extremely urgent. In the mean time now there are not enough patients coming in to justify paying the hours and staff. So the dummies are going to close it completely and refer everyone to the ER instead. This will destroy my kid's financial security. If it lasts even 4 weeks they will be living in their car homeless with 4 kids...

This has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen this country do yet...
    “The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Very encouraging

Since it's been around forever and is already commonly used I expect they could ramp up production very quickly.

More about some studies:

Researchers and virologists in France have completed a clinical trial studying the effects of hydroxychloroquine, used to treat arthritis, malaria, and other ailments, on patients with COVID-19. Researchers treated a total of 26 coronavirus patients with the drug, including six that were given the antibiotic azithromycin, as well.

The researchers released their findings in a study published on Wednesday. The results showed that all six patients treated with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin tested negative for the virus after six days. Of the 20 treated with just hydroxychloroquine, 57.1% tested negative for the coronavirus after six days. Just 12.5% of the control group made up of 16 other patients tested negative.

"Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin," the study said.

Didier Raoult, an infectious disease expert from l’Institut Hospitalo-Universitaire in Marseille, led the research team that conducted the study. Gregory Rigano, an adviser to the Stanford University School of Medicine SPARK Translational Research Program, is leading a program based on Raoult’s results to study the effects of hydroxychloroquine on treating COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...irus-treatment

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Very encouraging

Since it's been around forever and is already commonly used I expect they could ramp up production very quickly.

More about some studies:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...irus-treatment

Bayer donates chloroquine to U.S., to seek emergency use as COVID-19 treatment

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ba...ent-2020-03-19

U.S. listed shares of Bayer AG BAYRY, +0.97% rose 3% in trading on Thursday afternoon after it said it had donated three million tablets of Resochin, a chloroquine product, to the U.S. The German drugmaker said that it is seeking an emergency use authorization for the drug in the U.S., where it is not approved. Health care providers in countries like China and France have been using chloroquine-based therapies to treat COVID-19 patients as there are no proven treatments for the disease. At a news conference on Thursday, President Donald Trump talked up use of the antimalaria drug to treat patients who have the novel coronavirus, and FDA commissioner Stephen Hahn said that while chloroquine has been approved for other indications, it would still need to go through clinical trials. Bayer's stock is down 34% year-to-date, while the S&P 500 SPX, +0.47% has dropped 25%.

Interesting... the CBP officer checking me back in to the country tonight mentioned the exact same thing to me.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Cheap, easy to produce, effective, no current patent...now I know why the medical talking heads were all pooh poohing the idea.

I had a scrip of this stuff laying around from the last time I went to Africa...damn
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

I'm flying out Sunday, come with me.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seriously? You think they are just going to give it away for free?? No, our tax dollars will pay for its production and distribution...
    As already posted, Bayer did just that.

Three million doses as a matter of fact, they gave away for free.

I'm not a fan of big pharma, but this runs counter to the norm...the norm would be to ignore this drug and insist that everybody take the new drug that just handily came out and instead of costing a buck a pill costs $5000 a dose.

Danke doesn't fear coronavirus, coronavirus fears Danke.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    As already posted, Bayer did just that.

Three million doses as a matter of fact, they gave away for free.

I'm not a fan of big pharma, but this runs counter to the norm...the norm would be to ignore this drug and insist that everybody take the new drug that just handily came out and instead of costing a buck a pill costs $5000 a dose.
    I'm also pleasantly surprised.

They must have accidentally appointed a CEO with a soul.

Ya, his name is Trump.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya, his name is Trump.
    LOL

Yah, he'll be quietly fired after all this blows over.

Thank you for your service.

Seriously.

I'm not at liberty to give too much information because of HIPPA restrictions, but we have some high-probability COVID-19 patients at the small rural hospital where I work. The unfortunate thing about it is that the few testing kits we have must be sent out and may take days to get results. By the time their test results come back, I might already be showing symptoms, because I have been involved in their care.

In their current condition, I can assure you that these patients are not concerned with potential side effects of Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). One patient was placed on a ventilator early this week and another was intubated as I left work this morning. They are both older than 70. Both at high-risk. One may not live.

Modern medicine is a lot about risks versus benefits. If these were young patients with mild symptoms who weren't coughing so severely they can't take a breath and running high fevers (I'm talking >104F, which is very significant for seniors because the elderly usually do not run high fever), I'd say it might be worth worrying about things like long term kidney damage or heart failure.

IV vitamin bags will not do these patients any good at this point. While I am all about natural remedies over pushing pills on people, there comes a point where you have to honestly say what will be most effective in the moment. There are a lot of doctors out there who are more about running tests for big pharma than actually practicing the skills that doctors have utilized long before Pfizer or Glaxo-Smith-Kline started packaging pills.

The scary thing for me is that as a healthcare worker in the ER who is required to come in contact with these patients . . . our gowns, gloves, and simple mask/respirator supplies are running low. What's worse, is that when the PPE gets wet, it loses effectiveness. Anyone who has ever worn these things knows that the materials do NOT breathe, and you WILL sweat. A LOT. I'm more than a little nervous right now that I might be personally in for a rough few weeks, but like I said, I won't know until symptoms show. If I stop posting in the next few days, y'all can assume what happened.

One good thing about this whole thing, is that we are seeing a lot less 'nonsense' cases in the emergency department. People are heeding warnings and not going to hospitals unless having a true emergency that cannot wait. That's really the way it should always be. But it is nice to see folks using common sense and not abusing ERs as clinics.

I am in no way knocking 'alternative' medicine. There a lots of natural things you can do to try to stay healthy. I encourage y'all to pursue it while you're in good health.

^^^Agreed

I can't imagine what it's like being in medicine right now.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Anyone have an update on the clinical trials in New York that started Tuesday?

- ML

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/chloro...ry?id=69664561

[I]What do malaria and COVID-19 have in common? On the surface, not much. But according to early research, an old malaria drug called chloroquine might also work for the new coronavirus.

Could a decades-old malaria drug work to treat COVID-19? Elon Musk seems to think so, recently tweeting that it "might be worth considering chloroquine" for COVID-19. Although data are spare, studies so far seem to back up the billionaire entrepreneur’s suggestion.

Chloroquine, or hydroxychloroquine, has been used to treat malaria since 1944. It can be given before exposure to malaria to prevent infection, and it can also be given as treatment afterward.

Remember when no one believed that this would work?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post
    Anyone have an update on the clinical trials in New York that started Tuesday?

- ML
    I believe they are promising.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast