Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old malaria drug might prevent and treat COVID-19

Old malaria drug might prevent and treat COVID-19

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/chloro...ry?id=69664561

What do malaria and COVID-19 have in common? On the surface, not much. But according to early research, an old malaria drug called chloroquine might also work for the new coronavirus.

Could a decades-old malaria drug work to treat COVID-19? Elon Musk seems to think so, recently tweeting that it "might be worth considering chloroquine" for COVID-19. Although data are spare, studies so far seem to back up the billionaire entrepreneur’s suggestion.

Chloroquine, or hydroxychloroquine, has been used to treat malaria since 1944. It can be given before exposure to malaria to prevent infection, and it can also be given as treatment afterward.

Malaria is a disease that is caused by a parasite, unlike COVID-19. Nevertheless, laboratory studies show chloroquine is effective at preventing as well as treating the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, a close cousin of COVID-19.

Given chloroquine’s effectiveness in treating SARS, scientists have investigated if it will be an effective treatment against the new coronavirus responsible for COVID-19. So far, the initial trials are encouraging.

"There is evidence that chloroquine is effective when they looked at SARS in vitro with primate cells," said Dr. Len Horovitz, a pulmonologist and internist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. "The theory of the experiment with primate cells was that chloroquine could be for preventing viral infection or as a treatment for viral infection after it had occurred. In vitro in these primate cells, there was evidence that viral particles were significantly reduced when chloroquine was used."

Both the virus that causes SARS and the virus responsible for COVID-19 belong to the same overarching family of coronaviruses. Researchers in China discovered that the protein spikes on the surface of the COVID-19 virus are similar to the protein spikes found on the surface of the SARS virus.

People become infected when those protein spikes bind to special receptors on the outside of human cells. Chloroquine works by interfering with those receptors, which may interfere with the virus’s ability to bind to cells.

"The way that it worked against SARS was by preventing of the attachment of the virus to the cells. Chloroquine interfered with the attachment to that receptor on the cell membrane surface," Horovitz said. "So it’s disrupting a lock and key kind of mechanism of attachment."

Researchers in China found that treating patients with COVID-19-associated pneumonia with chloroquine may shorten their hospital stay and improve the patient’s outcome.

There are more than 20 ongoing clinical trials in China and more scheduled to start in England, Thailand, South Korea and the United States.

Researchers are also exploring whether chloroquine could be used prophylactically -- that is, to prevent infection before it occurs. It is particularly key "for healthcare workers that get sick," noted Dr. Eric Cioe-Pena, director of Global Health at Northwell Health in New Hyde Park, New York. "Prophylaxis is a viable treatment option, at least in theory. It needs to be studied. It could be studied while in use. It is something we need to look at, and as terms of a candidate for preventing disease spread and severity."

While the U.S. waits for the results of additional trials and FDA approval, researchers caution that doctors should only prescribe the drug for their patients under a special program that allows exceptions for experimental drugs during public health emergencies, under a framework set up by the World Health Organization.

"For the 85% of patients with mild to moderate symptoms that will go home, they don’t need this treatment and don’t want this treatment – it’s not valuable to them, it doesn’t offer any benefit," said Dr. Cioe-Pena. "There could be minimal risk, but still risk. Risk of an allergic reaction is really a risk of a side effect, and they are going to get better anyway."

Thankfully, the potential side effects of the drug are minimal.

"The principle side effects reported were headaches, gastrointestinal side effects like nausea, diarrhea and hair loss, primarily," said Horovitz.

This is very encouraging news. More encouraging still is that there are several other promising drugs being studied, including the HIV anti-retroviral drug Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir) and the anti-Ebola medication remdesivir.

In the meantime we should each do our part by engaging in social distancing, self-quarantining and self-isolating when appropriate, to stop the spread of this pandemic.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 03-19-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't fall for it.

This is the Big Pharma playbook: "If you need to capitalize on a public health threat and no drug exists to treat it, just promote a different drug."
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
    (1 John 4:18)

Quote Originally Posted by Created4 View Post
    Don't fall for it.

This is the Big Pharma playbook: "If you need to capitalize on a public health threat and no drug exists to treat it, just promote a different drug."
    Except this drug is outside the patent so big pharma can't make a lot of money off of it.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

This actually appeared in Chinese news and studies early February.

the issue here is toxicity

hydroxychloroquine is less toxic than chloroquine is less toxic than quinine

but even hydroxychloroquine aka Planquenil is toxic... though typically not in the doses required to treat malaria or arthritis.

hydroxychloroquine is shown to be effective in vitro agains viruses; however the margin for error between effective dose and lethal dose in vivo is notoriously thin

When used to treat coronovirus, it will require higher dosing (per the translated from Chinese technical paper's I've read) and this can cause kidney failure, heart failure, blindness, and severe bowel problems.

so, while its promising... there are still issues to be mitigated.

there is more info here:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thre...navirus.79447/

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Except this drug is outside the patent so big pharma can't make a lot of money off of it.
    Seriously? You think they are just going to give it away for free?? No, our tax dollars will pay for its production and distribution...
    There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

There are PROVEN therapies that are NOT produced by Big Pharma, and as I listen to current Task Force update with the FDA head guy, NONE of these alternative therapies are being discussed, even though they were used effectively in China.

Those include Ozone Therapy:

https://healthimpactnews.com/2020/ca...t-coronavirus/

and intravenous Vitamin C therapy:

https://healthimpactnews.com/2020/co...linical-trial/

Seriously? You think they are just going to give it away for free?? No, our tax dollars will pay for its production and distribution...
    I didn't say they would give it away for free. I said big pharma can't make a LOT of money off of it. And...they can't. Does the term "generic drug" many anything to you? They might as well say "aspirin cures the coronavirus."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chloroquine? Alright! Gin and tonics tonight, boys! With a slice of lime for vitamin C and flavonoids, of course.

if I have had malaria , dengue both and taken the quinine does it make me less susceptible ?
    Do something Danke

There are PROVEN therapies that are NOT produced by Big Pharma, and as I listen to current Task Force update with the FDA head guy, NONE of these alternative therapies are being discussed, even though they were used effectively in China.

LOL. You know how expensive it is to get checked into a hospital and get intravenous ANYTHING? Also, you may not know this, but quinine is naturally occurring and was first used to treat malaria by the Peruvian Natives.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/quini...-gin_n_5982994

Thanks @RJB for that "gin and tonic" reference which caused me to look that up.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    if I have had malaria , dengue both and taken the quinine does it make me less susceptible ?
    I have no idea.

LOL. You know how expensive it is to get checked into a hospital and get intravenous ANYTHING?
    Wrong. Any doctor and actually any registered nurse can administer IV vitamin therapy. I get them all the time in clinics, and have not walked into a hospital for years....
    Last edited by Created4; 03-19-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Stem cells too.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Looks like you got a lot of extraneous text in the OP. Here is the article by itself.

What do malaria and COVID-19 have in common? On the surface, not much. But according to early research, an old malaria drug called chloroquine might also work for the new coronavirus.

Could a decades-old malaria drug work to treat COVID-19? Elon Musk seems to think so, recently tweeting that it "might be worth considering chloroquine" for COVID-19. Although data are spare, studies so far seem to back up the billionaire entrepreneur’s suggestion.

Chloroquine, or hydroxychloroquine, has been used to treat malaria since 1944. It can be given before exposure to malaria to prevent infection, and it can also be given as treatment afterward.

Malaria is a disease that is caused by a parasite, unlike COVID-19. Nevertheless, laboratory studies show chloroquine is effective at preventing as well as treating the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, a close cousin of COVID-19.

Given chloroquine’s effectiveness in treating SARS, scientists have investigated if it will be an effective treatment against the new coronavirus responsible for COVID-19. So far, the initial trials are encouraging.

"There is evidence that chloroquine is effective when they looked at SARS in vitro with primate cells," said Dr. Len Horovitz, a pulmonologist and internist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. "The theory of the experiment with primate cells was that chloroquine could be for preventing viral infection or as a treatment for viral infection after it had occurred. In vitro in these primate cells, there was evidence that viral particles were significantly reduced when chloroquine was used."

Both the virus that causes SARS and the virus responsible for COVID-19 belong to the same overarching family of coronaviruses. Researchers in China discovered that the protein spikes on the surface of the COVID-19 virus are similar to the protein spikes found on the surface of the SARS virus.

People become infected when those protein spikes bind to special receptors on the outside of human cells. Chloroquine works by interfering with those receptors, which may interfere with the virus’s ability to bind to cells.

"The way that it worked against SARS was by preventing of the attachment of the virus to the cells. Chloroquine interfered with the attachment to that receptor on the cell membrane surface," Horovitz said. "So it’s disrupting a lock and key kind of mechanism of attachment."

Researchers in China found that treating patients with COVID-19-associated pneumonia with chloroquine may shorten their hospital stay and improve the patient’s outcome.

There are more than 20 ongoing clinical trials in China and more scheduled to start in England, Thailand, South Korea and the United States.

Researchers are also exploring whether chloroquine could be used prophylactically -- that is, to prevent infection before it occurs. It is particularly key "for healthcare workers that get sick," noted Dr. Eric Cioe-Pena, director of Global Health at Northwell Health in New Hyde Park, New York. "Prophylaxis is a viable treatment option, at least in theory. It needs to be studied. It could be studied while in use. It is something we need to look at, and as terms of a candidate for preventing disease spread and severity."

While the U.S. waits for the results of additional trials and FDA approval, researchers caution that doctors should only prescribe the drug for their patients under a special program that allows exceptions for experimental drugs during public health emergencies, under a framework set up by the World Health Organization.

"For the 85% of patients with mild to moderate symptoms that will go home, they don’t need this treatment and don’t want this treatment – it’s not valuable to them, it doesn’t offer any benefit," said Dr. Cioe-Pena. "There could be minimal risk, but still risk. Risk of an allergic reaction is really a risk of a side effect, and they are going to get better anyway."

Thankfully, the potential side effects of the drug are minimal.

"The principle side effects reported were headaches, gastrointestinal side effects like nausea, diarrhea and hair loss, primarily," said Horovitz.

This is very encouraging news. More encouraging still is that there are several other promising drugs being studied, including the HIV anti-retroviral drug Kaletra (lopinavir/ritonavir) and the anti-Ebola medication remdesivir.

In the meantime we should each do our part by engaging in social distancing, self-quarantining and self-isolating when appropriate, to stop the spread of this pandemic.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/chloro...ry?id=69664561
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 03-19-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Stem cells too.
    Link?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    no. one its out of your system. two the dose required of quinine to kill viruses would kill you.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Wrong. Any doctor and actually any registered nurse can administer IV vitamin therapy. I get them all the time in clinics, and have not walked into a hospital for years....
    Okay. That's still more expensive than naturally occurring quinine.

Looks like you got a lot of extraneous text in the OP. Here is the article by itself.
    Okay. Edited.

I'm not at liberty to give too much information because of HIPPA restrictions, but we have some high-probability COVID-19 patients at the small rural hospital where I work. The unfortunate thing about it is that the few testing kits we have must be sent out and may take days to get results. By the time their test results come back, I might already be showing symptoms, because I have been involved in their care.

In their current condition, I can assure you that these patients are not concerned with potential side effects of Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). One patient was placed on a ventilator early this week and another was intubated as I left work this morning. They are both older than 70. Both at high-risk. One may not live.

Modern medicine is a lot about risks versus benefits. If these were young patients with mild symptoms who weren't coughing so severely they can't take a breath and running high fevers (I'm talking >104F, which is very significant for seniors because the elderly usually do not run high fever), I'd say it might be worth worrying about things like long term kidney damage or heart failure.

IV vitamin bags will not do these patients any good at this point. While I am all about natural remedies over pushing pills on people, there comes a point where you have to honestly say what will be most effective in the moment. There are a lot of doctors out there who are more about running tests for big pharma than actually practicing the skills that doctors have utilized long before Pfizer or Glaxo-Smith-Kline started packaging pills.

The scary thing for me is that as a healthcare worker in the ER who is required to come in contact with these patients . . . our gowns, gloves, and simple mask/respirator supplies are running low. What's worse, is that when the PPE gets wet, it loses effectiveness. Anyone who has ever worn these things knows that the materials do NOT breathe, and you WILL sweat. A LOT. I'm more than a little nervous right now that I might be personally in for a rough few weeks, but like I said, I won't know until symptoms show. If I stop posting in the next few days, y'all can assume what happened.

One good thing about this whole thing, is that we are seeing a lot less 'nonsense' cases in the emergency department. People are heeding warnings and not going to hospitals unless having a true emergency that cannot wait. That's really the way it should always be. But it is nice to see folks using common sense and not abusing ERs as clinics.

I am in no way knocking 'alternative' medicine. There a lots of natural things you can do to try to stay healthy. I encourage y'all to pursue it while you're in good health.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Okay. That's still more expensive than naturally occurring quinine.
    And you know this how? You didn't even know that one can get vitamin IV drips outside of hospitals.

Given the risk to the economy right now, why wouldn't we consider ALL therapies, pharma and otherwise, to stop this?

And clinical trials on Vitamin C and Ozone have already been conducted in China.

And you know this how? You didn't even know that one can get vitamin IV drips outside of hospitals.
    Because you still have to have a doctor or nurse to administrate it?

Given the risk to the economy right now, why wouldn't we consider ALL therapies, pharma and otherwise, to stop this?
    You have it backwards. I'm not trying to stop anyone. You were the one hijacking the thread to try to discourage a potential treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post

IV vitamin bags will not do these patients any good at this point.
    And you know this how? IV Vitamin C has well-documented cases of saving people in critical condition.

Here is one where a documentary was created:

Vitamin C Saves Man Dying of Viral Pneumonia

Because you still have to have a doctor or nurse to administrate it?
    I don't think even that is true. I am not aware of any restrictions for someone to buy an IV bag and inject themselves, like someone injecting themselves with insulin (NOT that I am recommending this). Because you don't need a prescription to buy vitamins.

But I am quite sure these malaria drugs will need a prescription, and take much longer to get to the public than IV drips would, which are available now and have been for a long time....

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think even that is true. I am not aware of any restrictions for someone to buy an IV bag and inject themselves, like someone injecting themselves with insulin (NOT that I am recommending this). Because you don't need a prescription to buy vitamins.

But I am quite sure these malaria drugs will need a prescription, and take much longer to get to the public than IV drips would, which are available now and have been for a long time....
    These particular drugs are already in circulation as they are old so it's illogical to assume that they will take longer to get to the public than an IV drip. You can't go to your local pharmacist and ask him for an IV of vitamins. You can go to a local pharmacist to get a prescription filled for generic malaria drugs. Generics are super cheap. Also OZONE CAN KILL YOU so nobody should be administering that to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    no. one its out of your system. two the dose required of quinine to kill viruses would kill you.
    so i should just stick with bourbon
    Do something Danke

You have it backwards. I'm not trying to stop anyone. You were the one hijacking the thread to try to discourage a potential treatment.
    jmdrake: I am going to potentially concede this point to you, after I research it more. I have a healthy distrust of pharmaceutical products and maybe jumped the gun here, but if these drugs have been proven safe and effective against viral infections, I agree it should be part of the solution, and will even help promote it as such.

I will post later on my research.

You can go to a local pharmacist to get a prescription filled for generic malaria drugs.
    Yeah sure, just like you can go to that same pharmacy and buy toilet paper. And it needs a doctor's prescription....

TONS (literally) of Vitamin C for IV drips were shipped to China, it was so much in demand, so there are suppliers out there already ramping up production.

Facebook banned us after we published this, tagging it as "fake" news, so this information is being suppressed.

Story: https://healthimpactnews.com/2020/to...n-wuhan-china/

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    This actually appeared in Chinese news and studies early February.

the issue here is toxicity

hydroxychloroquine is less toxic than chloroquine is less toxic than quinine

but even hydroxychloroquine aka Planquenil is toxic... though typically not in the doses required to treat malaria or arthritis.

hydroxychloroquine is shown to be effective in vitro agains viruses; however the margin for error between effective dose and lethal dose in vivo is notoriously thin

When used to treat coronovirus, it will require higher dosing (per the translated from Chinese technical paper's I've read) and this can cause kidney failure, heart failure, blindness, and severe bowel problems.

so, while its promising... there are still issues to be mitigated.

there is more info here:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thre...navirus.79447/
    I used Plaquenil for lyme disease. Felt like someone was cutting my heart out with a very rusty knife.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast