Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Role Of The State In An Epidemic - The Libertarian Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    That doesn't follow at all.
    By government providing a chicken to forestall a riot you're trying to use government (read; my tax dollars) to bribe never do wells to behave, claiming such bribery protects your property.

I say you might as well have the government provide everything the never do wells want or they'll riot tomorrow..

This is not the answer.

If you insist on government being involved in securing property rights then insist that government not prosecute anyone who kills protecting their property.

Insist on government disposing of the bodies and informing the next of kin.

These post-active roles are much more suitable for government.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    By government providing a chicken to forestall a riot you're trying to use government (read; my tax dollars) ...
    By government providing riot police to forestall a riot you're trying to use government (read; my tax dollars)...

Same thing

Anyway, I'll grant you that there's a good reason to oppose helicopter chickens in *normal* circumstances (as I would, as I mentioned in an earlier post); it creates moral hazard, teaching people that they can get free chickens by threatening to riot. But I don't think that applies in this situation. If we get riots, they're not going to be your normal "Oh I'm pissed about Rodney King and want a new TV" type riots, they're going to be "Oh $#@!, my family is starving to death" type riots, carried out by otherwise upstanding citizens who would never think about looting an electronics store. I don't think these people are going to learn the bad lesson and go on rioting for chickens after the crisis passes. Once again, got to look at the details of each situation.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    By government providing riot police to forestall a riot you're trying to use government (read; my tax dollars)...

Same thing
    I have NEVER advocated government do more than dispose of the bodies and notify the next of kin.

Property owners should protect their own property.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I have NEVER advocated government do more than dispose of the bodies and notify the next of kin.

Property owners should protect their own property.
    That costs the taxpayer too, no?

So let's debate it; exactly what should the state be doing in this crisis?
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ine-regulation
    I compiled a "brief" history of events since October 2008 that are defining the global currency war and the role that gold is playing:

Tin Foil Hats, Economic Reality and the Total Perspective Vortex

Also, have you contacted your Congressional Rep and asked them co-sponsor Ron Paul's Rep. Paul Broun Jr.'s HR 1098 77: Free Competition in Currencies Act?

See my comment there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12