Thread: Reports from Italy and France on young people 'getting seriously ill'

Reports from Italy and France on young people 'getting seriously ill'

White House 'concerned' about reports from Italy and France on young people 'getting seriously ill'

One of the top officials on the White House's coronavirus task force team warned that reports out of Italy and France suggest the virus is spreading among the younger population.

Dr. Deborah Birx told reporters at a press briefing from the White House on Wednesday that the task force is "concerned" about the news from Europe, which counters the belief that the illness doesn't greatly affect young people.

"We are concerned about the early reports coming out of Italy and France," said Birx. "There are concerning reports out of France and Italy about some young people getting seriously ill and getting very ill in the ICUs. "
    More: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-seriously-ill
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Young people got sick and died in China from the beginning (just at a much lower rate than old people), so I'm not sure why this is news.

I guess it's the media's way of quietly correcting their own Panglossian pronouncements than the yoots were immune?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Young people got sick and died in China from the beginning (just at a much lower rate than old people), so I'm not sure why this is news.

I guess it's the media's way of quietly correcting their own Panglossian pronouncements than the yoots were immune?
    Yeah, the propaganda had to shift.

Propaganda to prevent panic or concern: “Anyone under 70, or not suffering from a horrible pre-existing condition, has nothing to worry about.”

Propaganda to prevent spread: “This disease effects and can kill young people. Stop partying and isolate yourselves.”

“We have always been at war with Eastasia.”
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    White House 'concerned' about reports from Italy and France on young people 'getting seriously ill'
    I followed the link that your article linked to. It doesn't say much.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-seriously-ill
    One of the top officials on the White House's coronavirus task force team warned that reports out of Italy and France suggest the virus is spreading among the younger population.

Dr. Deborah Birx told reporters at a press briefing from the White House on Wednesday that the task force is "concerned" about the news from Europe, which counters the belief that the illness doesn't greatly affect young people.

"We are concerned about the early reports coming out of Italy and France," said Birx. "There are concerning reports out of France and Italy about some young people getting seriously ill and getting very ill in the ICUs."

Her warning came a day after Baylor Dean of Tropical Medicine Peter Hotez said a "significant number of young adults" are "seriously ill" in Italy.

[Click here for complete coronavirus coverage]

"We think part of this may be that people heeded the early data coming out of China and coming out of South Korea that the elderly or those with preexisting medical conditions were at particular risk," added Birx.

She noted that the millennial generation, which encompasses people between the ages of 25 and 39, could unknowingly be COVID-19 carriers, creating a situation in which the illness can easily pass on to older people. She stressed that the data is still developing and that there has been "no significant mortality in the children."

The novel coronavirus has infected over 200,000 people worldwide, and more than 80,000 people across the globe have recovered since the outbreak began in late December in Wuhan, China.

What constitutes a "significant number?" Anything special about these "young people?" And they are really young adults. No reports of significant numbers of children getting sit. But again, what constitutes a "significant number?"
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I followed the link that your article linked to. It doesn't say much.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-seriously-ill

"We are concerned about the early reports coming out of Italy and France," said Birx. "There are concerning reports out of France and Italy about some young people getting seriously ill and getting very ill in the ICUs."

Her warning came a day after Baylor Dean of Tropical Medicine Peter Hotez said a "significant number of young adults" are "seriously ill" in Italy.

[Click here for complete coronavirus coverage]

"We think part of this may be that people heeded the early data coming out of China and coming out of South Korea that the elderly or those with preexisting medical conditions were at particular risk," added Birx.

She noted that the millennial generation, which encompasses people between the ages of 25 and 39, could unknowingly be COVID-19 carriers, creating a situation in which the illness can easily pass on to older people. She stressed that the data is still developing and that there has been "no significant mortality in the children."

The novel coronavirus has infected over 200,000 people worldwide, and more than 80,000 people across the globe have recovered since the outbreak began in late December in Wuhan, China.

What constitutes a "significant number?" Anything special about these "young people?" And they are really young adults. No reports of significant numbers of children getting sit. But again, what constitutes a "significant number?"
    It would be nice to have better numbers. I haven’t been able to find something like number of COVID deaths by age.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/...ot-invincible/

South Korea

In South Korea, for example, which had an early surge of cases, the death rate in Covid-19 patients ages 80 and over was 10.4%, compared to 5.35% in 70-somethings, 1.51% in patients 60 to 69, 0.37% in 50-somethings. Even lower rates were seen in younger people, dropping to zero in those 29 and younger.
    That's in line with what I've been hearing in general.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/...ot-invincible/

South Korea

That's in line with what I've been hearing in general.
    I heard one news broadcast that in one nation (France? Spain?) half of the coronavirus deaths were below the age of 50. Can’t find it on the net though.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I heard one news broadcast that in one nation (France? Spain?) half of the coronavirus deaths were below the age of 50. Can’t find it on the net though.
    That would be very surprising.

By way of comparison, the flu (much less severe but similar kinds of symptoms) breaks down like this (dead/100k):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/n...r68_09-508.pdf

pg. 24

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Old data though. From February.

Coronaviruses are especially prone to mutation, apparently, so that might explain differences between countries.

There's already talk of two strains.

Coronaviruses are especially prone to mutation, apparently, so that might explain differences between countries.

There's already talk of two strains.
    Perhaps the difference between countries is is due to blood type?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...tract-COVID-19

its all about pre-existing conditions and age. 99% of deaths in Italy had pre-exisiting conditions and the average age is 79.5
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/over-9...her-illnesses/

the virus attacks the weakest immune systems. the spanish flu in 1918 did the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by swissaustrian View Post
    its all about pre-existing conditions and age. 99% of deaths in Italy had pre-exisiting conditions and the average age is 79.5
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/over-9...her-illnesses/

the virus attacks the weakest immune systems. the spanish flu in 1918 did the opposite
    My understanding is that it causes a cytokine storm in the lungs and/or cardio vascular system, thus anyone with any existing blockage or lung damage (known or unknown) is more likely to die.

The malaria drug which is showing promise slows down both the virus and the immune response.

Young adults ages 20 to 44 make up nearly one-third of U.S. coronavirus cases, CDC says
    March 19, 2020

New data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows young adults ages 20 to 44 face a substantial risk of serious illness and hospitalization from the coronavirus. While early reports from China showed the majority of deaths occurred in patients age 60 or older or those with underlying health issues, that doesn't mean younger people are immune from severe illness.

The CDC said there were a total of 4,226 cases confirmed in the U.S. as of March 16, and it analyzed the data on 2,449 of those cases where ages for the patients were known. Of those:

• 6% were people age 85 or older
    • 25% were 65-84 years old
    • 18% were 55-64 years old
    • 18% were 45-54 years old
    • 29% were ages 20-44 years old.

Only 5% of cases occurred in children and teens age 19 or under.

The CDC said as of March 16, there were 508 patients known to have been hospitalized in the U.S. — 12% of the total cases. Twenty percent of those hospitalized were between the ages 20 and 44 — so younger adults accounted for a large portion of the hospitalizations. ...
    More: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...al-distancing/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-06-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    The second article quoted was revised to:
    20% of US COVID-19 Deaths Were Aged 20-64

So something's awry with the math in the two stories. Sounds like the US isn't any better with its stats than the Chinese are with theirs.
    Fearmonger sooner, tell the truth later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

this is the actual Italian death statistic from today:
    - total deaths: 3770
    - no deaths under 30
    - 30-39: 11
    - 40-49: 31
    - 50-59: 111
    https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronav...arzo%20ENG.pdf

Before y'all get too much into breakdowns in statistics, I would like to propose to you that some of our older folks are kind of important. Chiefly, the ones still working in healthcare waiting on a few more years to be up so they can retire. Half my department is >40, and we are a very small team at our hospital ER. One of them gets sick from this and has to be admitted, and you begin to see the problem.

I know you guys aren't being ageist, I'm just trying to expand your perspectives a bit so folks don't start confusing statistics with immunity. Repercussions can happen indirectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.