Thread: Rand delays consideration of coronavirus Bill

Rand delays consideration of coronavirus Bill

Rand doing his thing. We are lucky to have him!

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said the Senate would move at "warp speed" to pass coronavirus legislation on Tuesday, but Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., put a damper on those plans, two leadership sources told NBC News.

Senators were on Tuesday heading towards a vote on the package — which includes provisions for free coronavirus testing, secures paid emergency leave, enhances unemployment insurance, strengthens food security initiatives, and increases federal Medicaid funding to states — but had to slam the brakes on because of an amendment Paul proposed.

The sources said Paul is forcing a vote on his amendment, which would "require a social security number for purposes of the child tax credit, and to provide the President the authority to transfer funds as necessary, and to terminate United States military operations and reconstruction activities in Afghanistan."

McConnell agreed to take up the amendment on Wednesday, delaying the vote on the larger bill, the sources said. The Paul amendment is not expected to pass.

McConnell, the senior senator from Kentucky, said earlier Tuesday a number of his members think the package that the House passed on Saturday has "considerable shortcomings" but is still necessary and urgent.

"My counsel to them is to gag and vote for it," he said.

“We’re able to rise above our normal partisanship and many times our normal positions because these are not ordinary times. This is not an ordinary time,” he said.

Paul was the sole "no" vote on the $8.3 billion coronavirus spending bill the Senate passed earlier this month.

Paul is notorious for forcing votes on amendments he knows will not pass.

In July of last year, Paul blocked a bipartisan bill that would ensure a victims' compensation fund related to the Sept. 11 attacks never runs out of money. Paul questioned the bill's 70-year time frame and said any new spending should be offset by corresponding cuts. After the amendment failed, he wound up being one of two no votes on the legislation.

He even briefly caused the government to shut down in 2018, using a procedural tactic to block the Senate from meeting the deadline to keep the government open because he objected to the price tag
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...oomed-n1162356

MSM still confused about Rand's intentions. He is trying to pay for the package by cutting somewhere else. That's just common sense and is actually meant to be one of their own rules ('PayGo').
    Last edited by Warlord; 03-17-2020 at 07:03 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Ignorance and Fear Will Be Our Downfall

The general public, and especially the mainstream media, are clueless when it comes to fiscal responsibility, as that article proves. I hate to say this, but we're not going to understand why measures such as the ones Sen. Paul continually takes in the Senate against this wasteful bills until we suffer from a collapsed economy. Sen. Paul is the only senator who consistently tries to do the right thing, and he "gets raked through the coals" because of it.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Lordy Rand is getting dragged on twitter. It doesn’t help that all the headlines read “Rand Paul delays COVID-19 bill by attaching doomed amendment/pet project/etc” like its him being uppity about some obscure libertarian ideal, he’s trying to end a war!!!!

And all the “blood on his hands”, no, the rest of the Senate has blood on their hands for all these d*mn wars and they have blood on their hands if they vote against the amendment.

This is not great judgement on Rand's part. He is causing a world of pain right now. He has no idea what he is doing

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    This is not great judgement on Rand's part. He is causing a world of pain right now. He has no idea what he is doing
    BS. He wants to pay for it and force them to stick to their own rules. The deficit is out of control. Rand stands alone as a voice of sanity.

Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    BS. He wants to pay for it and force them to stick to their own rules. The deficit is out of control. Rand stands alone as a voice of sanity.
    this

I don't want to get banned so I won't say anything personal. All I will say is that looking a ton of metrics all night and how markets reacted, this is worse than 1929.

This is the single worst time in history to be talking about the deficit. You take on debt when times are bad in your personal life and in government. You smooth out consumption. The government was irresponsible for decades. But that is sunk cost. That has absolutely no bearing on what should be done right now.

Imagine if there were no government debt and no deficits up to this point in history and we faced this situation with household and business debt crisis. That scenario is how you should make a decision right now. The past is irrelevant. Sunk cost. Only what should be done now. I don't know what the number should be but I am going to guess it will take a couple of trillion to plug the liquidity crisis for businesses and individuals to start with to stabilize things and go from there.

Rand doing this is like cutting his own hair. It isn't saving money. It is penny wise and pound foolish.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 03-18-2020 at 05:15 AM.

I don't want to get banned so I won't say anything personal. All I will say is that looking a ton of metrics all night and how markets reacted, this is worse than 1929.

This is the single worst time in history to be talking about the deficit. You take on debt when times are bad in your personal life and in government. You smooth out consumption. The government was irresponsible for decades. But that is sunk cost. That has absolutely no bearing on what should be done right now.

Imagine if there were no government debt and no deficits up to this point in history and we faced this situation with household and business debt crisis. That scenario is how you should make a decision right now. The past is irrelevant. Sunk cost. Only what should be done now. I don't know what the number should be but I am going to guess it will take a couple of trillion to plug the liquidity crisis for businesses and individuals to start with to stabilize things and go from there.
    And why do you think it's so worse? Because the government keeps on piling on debt and not tackling the deficit. Especially since 2008. They have tried to prop up and stop the inevitable correction for too long. Free markets will repair themselves if gov't gets out of the way.

More bailouts and more debt will not fix this crisis; in fact it makes it worse.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And why do you think it's so worse? Because the government keeps on piling on debt and not tackling the deficit. Especially since 2008. They have tried to prop up and stop the inevitable correction for too long. Free markets will repair themselves if gov't gets out of the way.

More bailouts and more debt will not fix this crisis; in fact it makes it worse.

Okay.

Okay.
    You seem to think the gov' HAS 1 trillion dollars. It doesn't. It only has what is raised from taxpayers and that's already 1.4 trillion short!

They also have a printing press and the Fed. If they print money they dilute the value of the dollar and that causes inflation.

Nothing is free. Someone will pay either through inflation or taxes.

The only option is to cut the size of government and to cut spending. Sure there will be pain but if left alone the markets will repair themselves .

If not the boom/bust cycle will simply repeat.

Rand is definitely making a big mistake here. There are some battles you should concede and this is one of them. It is not a good look at all when the country is in the midst of an unprecedented national emergency.

I'm not a fan of the SS# provision itself but forcing them to follow their own rules of procedure is a good thing. During these "crises" they're all too eager to throw their own rules out the window and too many people are willing to give them a pass on it.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefJustice View Post
    Rand is definitely making a big mistake here. There are some battles you should concede and this is one of them. It is not a good look at all when the country is in the midst of an unprecedented national emergency.
    He is taking a principled stand.

Rand doing this is like cutting his own hair. It isn't saving money. It is penny wise and pound foolish.
    And to think. All the NWO had to do was release a bioweapon that so far isn't as deadly as the flu and doesn't kill anyone under 60 to get everything they wanted and even splinter off support from the most hardcore libertarians.

Also I am against banning. I think there should be a ban on banning for the rest of 2020. I prefer rational discussion and debate. I believe the idea that "There can be no opposition because the crisis is so bad" is itself a fearful proposition.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

He is taking a principled stand.

There is a time and place for principled stands. In a moment like this, we’ve gotta swallow some bitter pills for the greater good. Yes, the greater good. The economy is reeling with or without bailouts and getting money to people is a good idea, lest we slip to Great Depression levels of unemployment and poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefJustice View Post
    There is a time and place for principled stands. In a moment like this, we’ve gotta swallow some bitter pills for the greater good. Yes, the greater good. The economy is reeling with or without bailouts and getting money to people is a good idea, lest we slip to Great Depression levels of unemployment and poverty.
    The answer to a debt crisis is not more debt. Ron Paul believes in slashing spending and balancing the budget. So does Rand.

The government doesn't have any money only what it raises from taxpayers and they're $1.3 trillion a year in the hole as it is. QUit digging .

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No matter how this is spun, it looks bad for Rand as hes being relentlessly attacked.

Thats why I'm always in his corner especially when he makes moves that is unpopular to the ideological isolationist liBROtarians.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll