Thread: Unemployment Insurance, not $1000 Checks to Everyone

Unemployment Insurance, not $1000 Checks to Everyone

The Trump Administration and various politicians have proposed sending $1000 checks to every American. This is meant to be a form of aid and stimulus during the COVID-19 pandemic. While well-intentioned, the need for this massive payout is dubious. Many people do not need or even want this money. There is already a severe debt problem with the Federal government, and there is no reason to make it worse.

There is an alternative, one that is far more targeted to those truly in need. It’s the Unemployment Insurance system. Why not use the existing support system? Temporarily allow employees who are not being paid due to COVID-19 shutdowns to qualify for UI payments. Expedite UI payments to those employees who are actually effected. If need be, the Federal government could grant money to States to increase payments to a minimum of $1000.

Targeting money to those whose work has been stopped is a far better option than implementing a temporary Universal Basic Income.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 03-17-2020 at 12:29 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    “They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

There is an alternative, one that is far more targeted to those truly in need. It’s the Unemployment Insurance system.
    For the same reason that people propose UBI in the first place.

The administrative costs are more than checks themselves.You are better off just handing people money from a cost benefit standpoint. Plus you need to get money their hands now. Given this isn't permanent, you don't have negative incentive effects of paying people not to work. In fact, you don't want a lot people working right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    For the same reason that people propose UBI in the first place.

The administrative costs are more than checks themselves.You are better off just handing people money from a cost benefit standpoint. Plus you need to get money their hands now. Given this isn't permanent, you don't have negative incentive effects of paying people not to work. In fact, you don't want a lot people working right now.
    It’s a sad statement about government in general that it might be cheaper to just write everyone a check than to utilize an existing system.

Abolish the system the does not work.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Starting to sound like money for everyone! UI, UBI, bailouts, liquidity injections, etc.

Never let a tragedy go to waste...

I don't really remember how many quarters you had to work consecutive to qualify for unemployment but I suspect it is 5 or so .

Benefits in California, one week unpaid with IU is waived due to Coronavirus.

Benefit programs available to help California workers who are losing wages due to the impacts of the Coronavirus

Sacramento – Workers who have lost their jobs or have had their hours reduced due to the impacts of COVID-19 may be eligible for the financial support provided by the benefit programs of the California Employment Development Department (EDD). These programs are designed to replace a portion of the wages workers are losing through no fault of their own, and are available to those affected for medical reasons or for economic impact reasons.

“The sudden and immense impact on jobs and Californians’ earnings due to the COVID-19 pandemic is unprecedented,” said EDD Director Sharon Hilliard. “At the EDD, we know that our employment benefit programs are a critical lifeline for Californians and we are applying any and all means to ensure we process claims and issue payments as quickly as possible.”

Medical Impact on Jobs

 If an individual is unable to work due to being ill or due to a medical quarantine related to COVID-19, the worker is encouraged to file a claim for Disability Insurance (DI).
     If an individual is unable to work because he or she has to care for an ill or medically quarantined family member related to COVID-19, the worker is encouraged to file a claim for Paid Family Leave (PFL).
     Both of these types of claims require a medical certification from a treating physician or a written order from a state or local health officer.
     Both programs are part of the State Disability Insurance (SDI) program. Most Californians contribute to these insurance programs with a payroll deduction noted as “CASDI” on their paycheck stubs.
     Benefit amounts are based on wages earned over the past 12-18 months and range from $50 - $1,300 a week.
     If an individual is not covered by the SDI program, or if there is no medical certification or written order available, an individual forced out-of-work or working reduced hours can file for unemployment benefits.
    The Governor’s Executive Order waives the one-week unpaid waiting period, so individuals can collect UI benefits for the first week they are out of work. It will still take a few weeks to process a claim before the first payment can be issued to an eligible worker.
    More: https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_EDD/pdf/news-20-06.pdf