Thread: Home school Schedule during Covid-19

Home school Schedule during Covid-19

I was wondering if anyone has some successful home school schedules they would like to share. Many of us will be with the kids for the next several weeks trying to keep their minds stimulated at home...
    Thanks in advance!
    I ask unanimous consent to revise and extend my remarks.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kiddo is an adult and home schooling herself. But when she was home, she had to be dressed, fed, and at the paio by 7:30. We played around with the schedule, but this seemed to be what worked. Then she moved on with her lessons around 8. We didn’t have a set schedule. There was just a certain amount of work she needed to do during the day. We would have some breaks built in, and lunch, of course.

The most important thing was the 7:30 piano time. And then at the end of the day, we would take 30 minutes to blitz the house—put books away, file the papers, put school supplies away, generally pick up clutter. This gave us a a real finality to the day and peace of mind moving forward to crafts, piano lessons, or whatever.

We had a couple of weather crisis during our home schooling years. It’s good to build those things into your learning and let the children help prep for emergencies. Check the flashlights, battery inventory, hand washing areas, candles, generator (if you have one), shoveling/salting walkways. It’s all school.
    Last edited by euphemia; 03-16-2020 at 07:45 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

We are going to lose a lot of rights after all this crisis hype. You might consider home schooling the rest of the way, if you aren’t already.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by DirtMcGirt View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has some successful home school schedules they would like to share. Many of us will be with the kids for the next several weeks trying to keep their minds stimulated at home...
    Thanks in advance!
    https://www.ronpaulcurriculum.com/pu...gaAvY0EALw_wcB
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Day 1 of daddy homeschool:
    https://www.hinkler.com.au/the-coding-book

After he finishes the first 2 "missions".
    Then we'll be practicing his karate forms in the yard in preparation of his belt test.
    Then reading for an hour.
    Then I might put him to work doing some QA work for me. (I wonder what I can bill him out at).

If I had a kid to homeschool today we would be doing a little plowing to plant onions and potatoes .
    Do something Danke

"The most important thing was the 7:30 piano time. And then at the end of the day, we would take 30 minutes to blitz the house—put books away, file the papers, put school supplies away, generally pick up clutter. This gave us a a real finality to the day and peace of mind moving forward to crafts, piano lessons, or whatever."

Thanks! I did the cleanup at the end of the day. I agree it did put finality to the day and start fresh in the morning
    Last edited by DirtMcGirt; 03-16-2020 at 11:58 PM.

In addition to 1 on 1 teaching here are some other lesson aides that have been useful:

Mystery Science
    Khan Academy
    Splash Math
    Tynker Coding

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have a 10 year old and have been homeschooling since the start. Kids do well with clearly defined structure, plenty to keep them busy, and strict limitations on screen time. Some recommendations:

1) offset parental time vs kid time awake by two hours; we stay up late he wakes up early. It gives us each space.
    2) before we wake up he has chores: load the dishwasher and feed the chickens.
    3) After morning chores that he has two options read or free time on his graphing calculator; he's known to read 75+ pages each morning in a children's novel.
    4) Every morning he cooks his own breakfast; he prefers home made pancakes from scratch (with goose eggs this time of year )
    5) We eat breakfast together every morning around 8:30-9; then school starts.
    6) Class times are 1 hour each and he's expected to self teach in his room which is set up with a desk.
    7) He's allowed out once per subject to ask questions if he needs help; generally he has to ask mom first, then me if she can't help... as I work from home and prefer not to be interrupted.
    8) The school day is also punctuated twice with half hour snack times, which he must fend for himself.
    9) Throughout the school day he's allowed any type of music he would like so long as it has no lyrics and I can't hear it from the office.
    10) We alternate days of art and music; he's very well supplied to self indulge in both subjects and is generally left free with "show us what you did" expectation.
    11) each day has a physical education time which we generally encourage to be outside... even if its raining/snowing (with proper gear).
    12) The core subjects... math, science, english, social studies we provide text books and he's expected to complete specific assignments.
    In math he's about 2-3 years ahead of his level; generally he has 30+ "math problems" daily
    In science we've kept him supplied with college level text of various subjects and expect him to read and show reading comprehension via verbal discussion at the end of the school day.
    In English we focus on writing - his least favorite subject - and we generally push him with high expectations to churn out essays, letters, stories, and poetry
    In social studies he's generally using material "at his grade level" and we expect him to read through the text book and answer the questions at the end.
    13) The school day ends at 4 and he has chores again for about an hour; feed the chickens... clean up, etc.
    14) After end of day chores he generally gets free time to do as he pleases and is well worn from his day.
    15) Then dinner comes... its his job to see the table is clear and set, then cleared again after.
    16) Usually in the evening he gets computer time... he's generally not allowed on the internet. Its during this time he learns computer programming... its not "school time" per say... but I generally challenge him with questions and he's gaining understanding of c++, python, arduino, rasperry pi, javascript, html/css, etc. He's allowed no more than 2 hours of screen time.
    17) then shower... and mom reads to him for 30-40 minutes before bed.

Rinse repeat 5 days of the week. Weekends are far less structured.
    Last edited by presence; 03-24-2020 at 07:31 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Homeschooling is a great idea to help our kids amidst the Covid 19 pandemic. We can search for legit and good homeschools to guide us. We can also join social media groups who have already started this type of schooling so we could learn and adapt an appropriate methodology.

There are many benefits of homeschooling it is less time-consuming and saves travel costs. It provides flexibility, efficiency it has a better impact on military families, families who travel, and those who have busy, hectic, and challenging work schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by bracknelson View Post
    There are many benefits of homeschooling it is less time-consuming and saves travel costs. It provides flexibility, efficiency it has a better impact on military families, families who travel, and those who have busy, hectic, and challenging work schedules.
    Plus bullying most likely won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by alivecream View Post
    Plus bullying most likely won't happen.
    Bullying and fighting is supposed to be a normal part of growing up.

Eliminate it at your child's risk.

How can one know compassion if he doesn't know brutality?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Bullying and fighting is supposed to be a normal part of growing up.

Eliminate it at your child's risk.

How can one know compassion if he doesn't know brutality?
    I agree with this. As someone who was bullied many times, and who has been accused of being a bully, there are many vital life lessons in it all. It's not romantic, it just is.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Home schools worked in the format provided by the school. It is still difficult for children, but I still try to find something helpful for my children. So from time to time I allow them to use some service. When I was studying at university, I read reviews of the best dissertation writing services on the service https://papersbattle.com/best-disser...ting-services/ and I also allow my children to use only proven services. After all, education should be available to everyone, regardless of whether you can write an essay or calculate formulas.
    Last edited by Perdineado; 03-01-2021 at 01:32 PM.