Thread: Coronavirus: Facts vs. Panic

Coronavirus: Facts vs. Panic

Coronavirus: Facts vs. Panic

Separating facts from irrational fear in the global virus pandemic.

By Sharyl Attkisson

Coronavirus is nothing to sneeze at. But so far, widespread panic may not be justified.

You should know:

Almost all of the reported coronavirus deaths in the U.S. happened in long-term care facilities in Washington State. And almost all of those occurred at the same facility.

Most people who get coronavirus have mild or no symptoms.

No young or middle-age people have died of coronavirus in the U.S.

Most around the world diagnosed from January-March 1 have already recovered.

Obviously, this is a fast-moving news target. For the latest information from the government, you can visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) coronavirus page at CDC.gov. The following information is accurate as of Thursday.

Q: What is the average American’s risk of getting coronavirus?
    A: Low. CDC reports: “For the majority of people, the immediate risk of being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low.”

Q: What’s the likelihood that coronavirus is in my community?
    A: Low. CDC reports: "There is not widespread circulation in most communities in the United States.”

Q: How many coronavirus deaths have there been in the U.S.?
    A: So far, not many. CDC reports 36 deaths. Adding various news reports, the number could be about 40 and growing. Although one death is too many, the reported deaths are among 43 states (including the District of Columbia) reporting outbreaks since January in a population of more than 327 million people.

Q: How many young people have died of coronavirus in the U.S.?
    A: So far, there are no reports of deaths among young people in the U.S. The U.S. Surgeon General reports the average age of people who have died from coronavirus in the U.S. is 80. Additionally, he says those who are most impacted have chronic, serious health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease.

Q: Who has died so far?
    A. These were compiled using CDC reports plus news and local health department reports:
    31 Washington State elderly. That includes 27 in King County, (22 at the same elderly nursing facility in Kirkland), three in Snohomish county, and one in Grant County, a patient in their 80s.
    Four California elderly: A woman in assisted living in her 90s, a hospitalized woman Santa Clara in her 60s, an “elderly man” in assisted living, and a 71-year-old man with underlying health conditions who’d been on a Grand Princess cruise ship.
    Two Florida residents in their 70s who had traveled overseas.
    One New Jersey diabetic man, 69, who suffered two cardiac arrests.
    One South Dakota man aged 60-69, with "underlying medical conditions”
    One Georgia man, 67, with “underlying medical conditions”

Q: How many people have recovered?
    A: News reports say that in China alone, out of 80,000 diagnosed, nearly 60,000 have already recovered. However, the true number of recovered is likely far higher since most of those who get the virus have mild or no symptoms, and so are not diagnosed at all.

Q: Why have there been so many coronavirus deaths in Italy?
    A: Italy has reported 827 coronavirus deaths. Experts say the high number is partly because Italy has more residents in the vulnerable age category. Italy has the oldest population in Europe and more elderly per capita than the U.S. Most of the Italian deaths are in patients in their 80s and 90s. In addition, Italy has a great number of direct China contacts. Italy was the first to join China’s “silk road” economic partnership project. The coronavirus is believed to have originated in China. Italy’s 827 deaths are out of a population of 60 million people. Even though one death is too many, it is still a small relative number.

Q: Why am I hearing so many different fatality rates?
    A: Experts say all coronavirus death rates are nothing more than estimates at the moment. That’s because it is impossible to know how many people have or had the virus. And that total number is needed to calculate an accurate rate. What makes it more difficult is the fact that most people have few or no symptoms, and so it is impossible to count them.
    Some current death rates that sound high are being calculated in a particular age group. The rate will be highest among the elderly and, in the U.S., there have been zero deaths among people age 50 and under. Some death rates are being calculated as deaths among the sickest patients, those are diagnosed and treated, which will produce a much higher number than a more accurate death rate that takes into consideration those patients who are infected but do not become ill at all.
    https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...facts-vs-panic
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I didn't see the fact on how bulk buying toilet paper stops it dead.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Thus far it strongly appears that we have been told more lies than truth about Covid-19.

The Chinese have been lying through their teeth about it and the media have been fanning the flames of fear with what seems to me to be the objective of inciting something closing on panic. I have watched the lefties carefully and it appears to me that they are hot to see this thing blow up and kill a few millions of Americans, all with the apparent goal of putting Trump out of office. They think they are clever, but when you listen carefully to what they say, as well as how they say it (intonation, for example), and even body language in some cases, their ham-fisted clumsiness shows, not to mention their singular viciousness that they are incapable of hiding.

Being demented, I of course had to figure what the bioweapon engineers' ideal bug would be like when I was in my 20s. High lethality is important, but every bit as important would be a long latency period, as well as high contagion during latency. Immuno-suppression and rapid onset to death are certainly nice to have.

The bull$#@! surrounding this virus seems to be thick. There were reports of latencies up to 24 days, which if true, would suggest a weapon. I'm no expert but I cannot recall any viral agents that incubate anywhere nearly that long. The numbers the Chinese were releasing early on suggested a lethality over 30%, which also suggests a weapon, as does the claim that it is hightly contagious during incubation.

Now we are hearing that children are not prone to it, that the elderly are, yet are recovering fully in the vast number of cases. None of that is being played much in media, leaving people to run to Walmart for 300 rolls of toilet paper.

The attacks on Trump are incessant. Everything he does is wrong. Everything he doesn't do is wrong. Media cannot be trusted to the door as their agenda of getting Trump out regardless of who gets hurt is not even thinly veiled. I've been listening to NPR lately, just to see how bad it is, and it is very bad. There is no reporting, but editorializing weakly posing as it. I'm not convinced Trump has done everything as well as he might, but the manure pile that has been dumped on him I cannot see as being deserved.

I will make no prediction as to how the virus will play out in terms of how many die or how far it spreads in America. But if this thing fizzles in terms of lethality, I will not at all be surprised. But you can be certain the tanking of Wall Street will be blown all out of proportion, Trump being the cause, of course.

Wasn't it that little weasel Rahm Emmanual who quipeed about never letting a good crisis go to waste? My strong suspicion is that this is precisely what media and their handlers are doing. They want Trump out even more than they want to hump and murder little boys.

That all aside, the containment-horse bolted from the barn back in December or January, that that CANNOT in any credible way be laid at anyone's door but that of the Chinese government.

But if this bug proves not to be the end of the world as the progressives are implying, then why the Chinese response with quarantining millions of people? It is possible that it was fear due to ignorance or an overabundance of caution, but if so, then why have they not done so during prior outbreaks? We can say for certain that the Chinese government abhors Trump. Could this be their way of attempting to sway the 2020 election? I put nothing past those bastards, or any other political sorts. Consider how much money and prestige Trump has cost them. The Chinese are bastards of the lowest order and for what I'd surmise they see as the stakes, this outbreak charade is not nearly beyond reason. Not saying it is the case, but that it cannot be ruled out.
    Last edited by osan; 03-13-2020 at 09:08 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Thus far it strongly appears that we have been told more lies than truth about Covid-19.

The Chinese have been lying through their teeth about it and the media have been fanning the flames of fear with what seems to me to be the objective of inciting something closing on panic. I have watched the lefties carefully and it appears to me that they are hot to see this thing blow up and kill a few millions of Americans, all with the apparent goal of putting Trump out of office. They think they are clever, but when you listen carefully to what they say, as well as how they say it (intonation, for example), and even body language in some cases, their ham-fisted clumsiness shows, not to mention their singular viciousness that they are incapable of hiding.

Being demented, I of course had to figure what the bioweapon engineers' ideal bug would be like when I was in my 20s. High lethality is important, but every bit as important would be a long latency period, as well as high contagion during latency. Immuno-suppression and rapid onset to death are certainly nice to have.

The bull$#@! surrounding this virus seems to be thick. There were reports of latencies up to 24 days, which if true, would suggest a weapon. I'm no expert but I cannot recall any viral agents that incubate anywhere nearly that long. The numbers the Chinese were releasing early on suggested a lethality over 30%, which also suggests a weapon, as does the claim that it is hightly contagious during incubation.

Now we are hearing that children are not prone to it, that the elderly are, yet are recovering fully in the vast number of cases. None of that is being played much in media, leaving people to run to Walmart for 300 rolls of toilet paper.

The attacks on Trump are incessant. Everything he does is wrong. Everything he doesn't do is wrong. Media cannot be trusted to the door as their agenda of getting Trump out regardless of who gets hurt is not even thinly veiled. I've been listening to NPR lately, just to see how bad it is, and it is very bad. There is no reporting, but editorializing weakly posing as it. I'm not convinced Trump has done everything as well as he might, but the manure pile that has been dumped on him I cannot see as being deserved.

I will make no prediction as to how the virus will play out in terms of how many die or how far it spreads in America. But if this thing fizzles in terms of lethality, I will not at all be surprised. But you can be certain the tanking of Wall Street will be blown all out of proportion, Trump being the cause, of course.

Wasn't it that little weasel Rahm Emmanual who quipeed about never letting a good crisis go to waste? My strong suspicion is that this is precisely what media and their handlers are doing. They want Trump out even more than they want to hump and murder little boys.

That all aside, the containment-horse bolted from the barn back in December or January, that that CANNOT in any credible way be laid at anyone's door but that of the Chinese government.

But if this bug proves not to be the end of the world as the progressives are implying, then why the Chinese response with quarantining millions of people? It is possible that it was fear due to ignorance or an overabundance of caution, but if so, then why have they not done so during prior outbreaks? We can say for certain that the Chinese government abhors Trump. Could this be their way of attempting to sway the 2020 election? I put nothing past those bastards, or any other political sorts. Consider how much money and prestige Trump has cost them. The Chinese are bastards of the lowest order and for what I'd surmise they see as the stakes, this outbreak charade is not nearly beyond reason. Not saying it is the case, but that it cannot be ruled out.
    I think you have the long and short of it.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to osan again.

Went to the grocery store this morning. I went for fresh produce, because otherwise we are pretty well stocked. It was packed.
    The only remaining non-shelf stable meat besides lunch meat were turkey necks. All the shelves were empty except the lonely turkey necks.

I scored a 3 pack of Clorox wipes by chance; I was standing in the aisle looking to get clothes detergent -- all the shelves behind me with cleaning products were empty -- when an employee came up with a basket of random items she was restocking, she just handed me the Clorox wipes. I wasn't looking for them, but I took them. 5 minutes later when I was getting dog treats, some broad tried to snatch them from my cart.

And after decades of suffering in obscurity in the back of the liquor store; everclear finally has its day in the limelight with a giant pyramid at the front of the store. lol

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I scored a 3 pack of Clorox wipes by chance; I was standing in the aisle looking to get clothes detergent -- all the shelves behind me with cleaning products were empty -- when an employee came up with a basket of random items she was restocking, she just handed me the Clorox wipes. I wasn't looking for them, but I took them. 5 minutes later when I was getting dog treats, some broad tried to snatch them from my cart.
    Lol. Crazy. Was there a struggle?

And after decades of suffering in obscurity in the back of the liquor store; everclear finally has its day in the limelight with a giant pyramid at the front of the store. lol
    Don’t waste the Everclear! A friend has some of the highest proof (95%?) Everclear he uses to make Lemoncello. He was going to mix it with aloe vera gel. I told him to just wash his hands, don’t waste it!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Q: How many young people have died of coronavirus in the U.S.?

A: So far, there are no reports of deaths among young people in the U.S. The U.S. Surgeon General reports the average age of people who have died from coronavirus in the U.S. is 80. Additionally, he says those who are most impacted have chronic, serious health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease.
    From what I’ve heard, risk of death is directly related to cardio vascular health (diabetes and HBP are risks for cardio vascular disease). Your risk of dying from Coronavirus infection is statistically similar to dropping dead from a heart attack or stroke, and for the same reason. Who is at risk of dying from a heart attack? Risk goes up the older you are, and more for males. Do some people drop dead from a heart attack in their 30s? Rare, but it does happen. In the 40s? Still rare, but risk goes up a little. 50s? A little more risk. 60s? A little more. 70s? Much more risk for men. 80s? Now women are at risk, and everyone is on borrowed time.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 03-13-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Thumbs down Super size that vaccine shot, seniors

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Not too happy about their pushing vaccines, and a super size shot for seniors.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Spreading worldwide was a no-brainer. That is what these bugs do in the age of jet travel. How anyone could not twig to this is beyond me. I suppose it's the same general condition of self-willed somnambulism from which we were shaken, ever so briefly, on 9/11.

Prosperity is a great thing, but it is also a trap and we as a people in America have failed most shamefully by falling into it. To my estimation, we are not as bad as we were on 9/10, but we remain woefully short in terms of attitude required of a free people, which is why we are not a free people. We're a train wreck.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Lol. Crazy. Was there a struggle?
    No, I've got a kid and a puppy so I'm well acquainted with catching somebody with their hand in the cookie jar and startling them into stopping what they were doing. She dropped it back into the basket the moment she heard me command her to "drop it".

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Not too happy about their pushing vaccines, and a super size shot for seniors.
    Very true.

I commented on the video that Joe needs to talk to Dr. Shiva.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

She dropped it back into the basket the moment she heard me command her to "drop it".
    LOL
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

We should all be buying big screen tvs.
    in our pajamas.
    at Walmart.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    PS: the one good thing in all this has been the decline of silver prices. If it goes much farther, I'm buying 2000 oz.

PS: the one good thing in all this has been the decline of silver prices. If it goes much farther, I'm buying 2000 oz.
    Super Size it.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Democrat seems to be the only people that are panicking.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Here's some Panic:

they have shut down the schools in VA for 2 weeks. They shut down LA schools for a month.

we are at full retard.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Here's some Panic:

they have shut down the schools in VA for 2 weeks. They shut down LA schools for a month.

we are at full retard.
    You kidding? This is one of the few good things to come out of it. If it lasts the year, which is unlikely, parents will begin to see how much they don't need the meat grinder.

I'd love to see thousands of schools shut their doors, preferably on a permanent basis.

No, I've got a kid and a puppy so I'm well acquainted with catching somebody with their hand in the cookie jar and startling them into stopping what they were doing. She dropped it back into the basket the moment she heard me command her to "drop it".
    Lol. I better bring my water spray bottle next time I go to the grocery store.

You kidding? This is one of the few good things to come out of it. If it lasts the year, which is unlikely, parents will begin to see how much they don't need the meat grinder.

I'd love to see thousands of schools shut their doors, preferably on a permanent basis.
    I'm talking about the response...not that kids not going to school is such a bad thing. A lot of people who have to work two jobs with no help from parents for child care are going to be effected. It will be a big adaption for some people.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On fighting corruption:
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I'm talking about the response...not that kids not going to school is such a bad thing. A lot of people who have to work two jobs with no help from parents for child care are going to be effected. It will be a big adaption for some people.
    Not quite zeroed on what your issue is.

At this point, erring on the side of caution may be the best bet. OTOH, this all has a feel about it of manipulation, so who can say what is the right thing? If media says X, I am tempted to believe that the truth is not-X, but they are so terribly unworthy of trust, it becomes neralyimpossible to know how to assess what they report, at least for me.

For me, the bottom line is this: we are so deeply in trouble that nobody ourside of our personal as well-known circles should be trusted. I have less than zero trust in anything connected to Themme. "Government", media of all stripes, and certain corporate entities that to my eyes appear to be indistinguishable from "the state" are leading us down the slaughterhouse chute... or at least that is how it feels to me at times.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.