Thread: Judge orders release of Chelsea Manning, day after she tried to kill herself

Judge orders release of Chelsea Manning, day after she tried to kill herself

Judge orders release of Chelsea Manning, day after she tried to kill herself

A judge ordered Thursday that former intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning be released from jail.
    It came after her legal team said Wednesday she tried to take her own life the same day, but was transported to a hospital where she is recovering.

Manning has been in jail since May 2019 for refusing to testify before a grand jury investigating WikiLeaks. She was scheduled to appear in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, on Friday for a hearing on a motion to terminate the civil contempt sanctions stemming from that refusal.

In the motion filed last month, Manning's lawyers argued that Manning has shown during her incarceration that she can't be coerced into testifying before a grand jury.
    The judge left in place more than $250,000 in fines he imposed for her refusal to testify to the grand jury.
    More: https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...y-15127386.php
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What a joke of a judge.

If it was right to hold Manning before the suicide attempt, it would be right to do after as well.

Does the judge know something such as Manning is now brain damaged and could never testify?

Or is he simply a weak kneed sadist that is now scared that this is going to land on him?

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    What a joke of a judge.

If it was right to hold Manning before the suicide attempt, it would be right to do after as well.
    Exactly my thoughts as well. It also goes vice versa; if Manning was so easily to released, then why was Manning even in jail in the first place.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Free Julian Assange too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post

Free Julian Assange too.
    Both men should go free.

Reward the Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post

Free Julian Assange too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Both men should go free.
    I wish Trump would pardon Edward Snowden, too, while we're at it. But he's "a total traitor," according to Trump:

"Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Both men should go free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    I wish Trump would pardon Edward Snowden, too, while we're at it.

I concur.
    Last edited by shakey1; 03-12-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    I wish Trump would pardon Edward Snowden, too, while we're at it. But he's "a total traitor," according to Trump:

Putin is cool, liar Trump sux.

Donnell is a traitorous fake American, Saudi-Israeli.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 03-12-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Federal judge orders Chelsea Manning released from jail

s/he is a hero in my eyes... now they want to 'Get' Assange.

U.S. District Judge Anthony Trenga ordered the release Thursday after ruling that there was no need to keep Ms. Manning in jail to coerce testimony.

Judge Trenga said the court had discharged the grand jury that federal prosecutors were trying to force the former Army intelligence analyst and leaker to appear before.

“The Court finds that Ms. Manning’s appearance before the Grand Jury is no longer needed, in light of which her detention no longer serves any coercive purpose,” the judge ruled.

Manning had been jailed in Alexandria, Virginia, since May 2019 for refusing to testify before a grand jury about her contacts with the anti-secrecy organization WikiLeaks in 2010.

Last year, she served roughly two months for refusing to testify before another grand jury in March 2019. She was released, but returned to jail after she was found in contempt for dodging a second subpoena.

Manning attempted suicide Wednesday night while in custody. Details about the incident remain unclear, but her attorneys said she is recovering.

Manning was convicted in 2013 for leaking millions of State Department cables and a classified video of U.S. helicopters firing on civilians and journalists in Iraq in 2007 to WikiLeaks.
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...federal-judge/

Chelsea Manning Supporters Raise A Quarter Million Dollars In Two Days
    By Caitlin Johnstone - 3/15/20

In the likely event that you need some news to give you a bit of faith in humanity today, you should know that supporters of whistleblower Chelsea Manning have raised over a quarter million dollars to pay the cruel, draconian fine that was heaped upon her for her principled stand against testifying at corrupt secret grand jury proceedings.

In just two days after Manning was released from prison, more than six thousand donors banded together to pay off the $258,000 fine assigned at a thousand dollars a day by a federal judge on top of imprisonment to coerce her to testify. Fundraising was so enthusiastic that it had overshot the goal and reached $267,002 before the GoFundMe was closed.

Those of us who support Manning have been looking at this more as a fine on us than on her, because of course we were never going to let a heroic whistleblower spend the rest of her life under crushing debt. The fact that the money came together so quickly and easily, though, says a lot about the beauty of humans in my opinion.
    More: https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2020/03...s-in-two-days/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Manning is a whistleblower.

So where are all of the Democrats, leftists, pundits and MSM talking heads on the treatment of this whistleblower? Do they say anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Manning is a whistleblower.

So where are all of the Democrats, leftists, pundits and MSM talking heads on the treatment of this whistleblower? Do they say anything about it?
    A lot of them ponied up to pay the fine so I guess it's not all bad. But yes, s/he was persecuted by Obama admin for exposing the murder of Reuters journalists