Thread: Putin approves changes allowing him to stay in power until 2036

Putin approves changes allowing him to stay in power until 2036

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday opened the door to constitutional changes that would allow him to remain in power until 2036, but said he favored term limits once the country became politically “mature”.

Putin, who in January unveiled a major shake-up of Russian politics and a constitutional overhaul, is required by the constitution to step down in 2024 when his second sequential and fourth presidential term ends.

But addressing the State Duma, the lower house of parliament, he gave his qualified blessing to a proposed change to the constitution that would formally reset his presidential term tally to zero.

“The proposal to remove restrictions for any person, including the incumbent president ... In principle, this option would be possible, but on one condition - if the constitutional court gives an official ruling that such an amendment would not contradict the principles and main provisions of the constitution,” Putin said.

He said U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt serving four terms because of the upheaval his country was going through at the time was an example of why presidential term limits were sometimes superfluous.

“In conditions when a country is experiencing such shocks and difficulties, of course ... stability is perhaps more important and must be a priority,” he said, adding that Russia was still recovering from the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

If, as Putin’s critics suspect, the constitutional court gives its blessing to the amendment and it is backed in a nationwide vote in April, Putin could serve another two back-to-back six year terms.

Were he to do that, and his health and electoral fortunes allowed, he could stay in office until 2036 at which point he would be 83.

More at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKBN20X1FD
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Russian lawmakers on Wednesday rapidly rubber-stamped sweeping constitutional changes that could keep President Vladimir Putin in power until 2036.If Putin won and completed two more terms as president, it would make him the ruler of Russia for 36 years — longer than any other leader in its modern history.
    The measure must still be approved by the country's Constitutional Court and by a nationwide vote next month before they come into force.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-pa...085423653.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

THIS guy knows how to run a country. Lol.

I am perfectly ok with anyone here that doesn't like Russia's government to go there and get their pussy riot on.

Just leave me and my military industrial complex out of it.

Seen some Liberals going around saying Trump will try to do something similar.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Seen some Liberals going around saying Trump will try to do something similar.
    I hope he does.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Putin is a highly competent person, and not a communist.

There are much worse candidates for founding member of a royal house.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I hope he [Trump] does [the same].
    For instance