Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins, U.S. troops start to withdraw from Afghanistan

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    But I guess Orange Man is now bad for getting us out of Afghanistan?
    Oh, look. More SJW logic. I'd ask you when you stopped beating your wife, if the idea of someone marrying you weren't so laughable.

Read it and weep:
    You're right. Part if that does make me weep. Specifically, the fact that it's all yahoo, and it's highly unlikely that there's a word of truth in it.

But I forgot, didn't I? You have TvsgS so yahoo!'s only fakenews© when it trashes Trump.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-28-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    We believe our lying eyes...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Oh, look. More SJW logic. I'd ask you when you stopped beating your wife, if the idea of someone marrying you weren't so laughable.

You're right. Part if that does make me weep. Specifically, the fact that it's all yahoo, and it's highly unlikely that there's a word of truth in it.

But I forgot, didn't I? You have TvsgS so yahoo!'s only fakenews© when it trashes Trump.
    LOL

Trying to use the fact that a news aggregator posted the story to claim it's false is hillaryous.

It's from AFP. (not that the source would make it any less true anyway, it's from official sources that seem to be good enough when people want to whine about Trump not having ended all the wars yet)

And just so you don't succeed in sliding it off the current page:

The US military withdrawal from Afghanistan is considerably ahead of schedule, an official told AFP on Wednesday, as President Donald Trump reiterated calls for the Pentagon to bring troops home.

Under a deal the US signed with the Taliban in February, the Pentagon was to bring troop levels down from about 12,000 to 8,600 by mid-July, before withdrawing all forces by May 2021.

But a senior US defence official said the troop number was already at approximately 8,500, as commanders accelerate the withdrawal over fears of the coronavirus.

"The drawdown was accelerated due to COVID-19 precautions," the official told AFP, noting that the departure of anyone with health concerns or over a certain age was being prioritised.

Trump told reporters Tuesday the US force level was "down to 7,000-some-odd soldiers right now".

Pentagon spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Campbell said in a statement the US was adhering to its agreement with the Taliban.

Further drawdowns would come "after the US government assesses the security environment and the Taliban's compliance with the agreement", he added.

The Afghan government meanwhile said it would continue with the release of Taliban prisoners that had been agreed in the US deal with the insurgents and is seen as key to kickstarting long-delayed peace talks.

On Tuesday, the Afghan military freed about 1,000 Taliban inmates, mostly from Bagram jail near Kabul, as part of a pledge to release up to 2,000 insurgents in response to the Taliban-led ceasefire.

A senior Taliban member told AFP that in return, the insurgents planned to free up to 100 Afghan security force members as early as Thursday.

Top Afghan officials have demanded the Taliban extend the ceasefire and offered to reciprocate.

"If the Taliban are ready to extend the ceasefire, we are ready to continue the ceasefire too," National Security Council spokesman Javid Faisal said Tuesday.

The future of talks with the insurgents "depends on the Taliban's next move", he added.

The prisoner swap is part of a US-Taliban deal, which excluded the Afghan government, that stipulates Kabul would release up to 5,000 Taliban prisoners and the militants would free about 1,000 national security personnel.

Kabul had already freed about 1,000 Taliban inmates before the ceasefire, while the insurgents had released about 300 government captives.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/us-troop-pull...132219311.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

They are leaving faster than any are rotated in and they will all be gone by early next year or maybe even before November.
    Of what year?

Heard that $hit since 1970.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Of what year?

Heard that $hit since 1970.
    Go ahead and keep this bumped.

Other people can read.

We are leaving and we are ahead of schedule.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Go ahead and keep this bumped.

Other people can read.

We are leaving and we are ahead of schedule.
    It's hard to believe what Trump says since he lies too often.

Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    It's hard to believe what Trump says since he lies too often.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    lol I guess it doesn't bother you Trump supporters. And why should it since you're all liars too.

lol I guess it doesn't bother you Trump supporters. And why should it since you're all liars too.
    Projection.

You are just desperate to deny that Trump is doing something good.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Projection.
    Deceitful comment

You are just desperate to deny that Trump is doing something good.
    Because I correctly and truthfully pointed out Trump lies too much? lol Whatever the word is that means you're more than desperate is what you are. Delusional would fit.

And because Trump lies to much I won't believe it until it happens. Keep posting updates on this as that is actually something you are good at. But this isn't about what you made up about me. That's a pussy move.

Deceitful comment

Because I correctly and truthfully pointed out Trump lies too much? lol Whatever the word is that means you're more than desperate is what you are. Delusional would fit.

And because Trump lies to much I won't believe it until it happens. Keep posting updates on this as that is actually something you are good at. But this isn't about what you made up about me. That's a pussy move.
    It's happening.
    Your attempts to deflect from that by questioning Trump's honesty show desperation.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's happening.
    Yes it looks like the troop withdrawal is happening SO FAR.

Your attempts to deflect from that by questioning Trump's honesty show desperation.
    I'm not deflecting from anything. That's just another pussy move on your part because you don't think Trump breaking his word often enough is a big deal. That's on you and your demented sense of the truth.

Afghanistan's government will soon complete a Taliban prisoner release that is a key condition to the launch of peace talks with the insurgents, President Ashraf Ghani said Thursday.

Under the terms of a US-Taliban deal signed in February, Kabul has pledged to free 5,000 Taliban prisoners in a swap that would see the insurgents release 1,000 Afghan security force captives.

Once the swap is done, the two sides have pledged to begin peace talks that could end nearly 19 years of war.

Kabul has already released 3,000 prisoners, with the remainder due to be freed shortly, Ghani said.

"The remaining commitment -- my colleagues and I have made the decision to release an additional 2,000 prisoners within a very short period. We will announce the date soon," Ghani said in a video interview with a Washington think tank.

Taliban political spokesman Suhail Shaheen said on Twitter the prisoner release so far was "a positive step" and marked "good progress".

Zalmay Khalilzad, the US negotiator on Afghanistan, also called the latest developments "very positive" and said that intra-Afghan talks appeared closer than ever.

"All sides must work to get to the negotiations table ASAP and prevent spoilers from undermining the process and betraying the hopes and yearning of Afghan people for peace," he wrote on Twitter.

The Taliban and Afghan security forces observed a three-day ceasefire last month and have generally reduced violence across Afghanistan since then in an attempt to set the stage for peace talks.

Ghani said he would elaborate the next steps in the peace process next week and called for a "humanitarian ceasefire" to provide food and medical assistance during the coronavirus crisis.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/taliban-priso...165255868.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by article above
    Once the swap is done, the two sides have pledged to begin peace talks that could end nearly 19 years of war.

What's it now? 3 or 4 times? @enhanced_deficit
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post

What's it now? 3 or 4 times? @enhanced_deficit
    We are already leaving and will leave completely whether they make peace or not.
    But their progress towards peace makes it easier for Trump to remove us faster and harder for the swamp to try and make us stay.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Groundhog Day
    Just like quarantine day.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Afghanistan’s government and the Islamist Taliban group have agreed that Doha will be the venue for the first meeting in their peace talks, both sides said on Sunday.

The talks, known as the intra-Afghan dialogue, will be the first high-level meeting between the two sides after years of fighting.

No date has been announced for the meeting, but it is expected to take place after the two sides settle differences on the release by the Afghan government of 5,000 Taliban prisoners, which could be as soon as the end of next week.

“The first intra-Afghan meeting will happen in Doha,” Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen told Reuters, adding that the Islamist group was ready to hold intra-Afghan talks within a week of the release of 5,000 prisoners.

The Afghan government has released 3,000 Taliban prisoners so far under an agreement signed between the United States and the insurgent group in February.

More at: https://in.reuters.com/article/afgha...-idINKBN23M06M

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

What's it now? 3 or 4 times?
    Hopefully this is not 'foolme 4.0' and pressure of popularity contest of elections 2020 reality tv would get something done.

But there could be still bit of gaming the non-gullible base going on in terms of promises & statements & PRs.

June 15, 2020 / 10:07 AM / 2 days ago
    Exclusive: U.S. senators ask Pentagon if $1 billion in Afghan aid was cut

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two Democratic senators on Monday asked U.S. Defense Secretary Mike Esper what happened to $1 billion in aid for Afghanistan the Trump administration said it would cut nearly three months ago, according to a letter reviewed by Reuters.

Reuters reported on April 5 the reduction would come from funds for Afghan security forces and, on May 20, that the Pentagon had not withheld the money despite Pompeo’s March 23 vow to cut it “immediately.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN23M1Z5

Keeper of promises:

Global Policing: More US troops heading to Syria, Iraq

June 17, 2020
    FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) —

2,200 paratroopers assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division’s 2nd Brigade Combat Team deploying to Iraq and Syria amid the coronavirus pandemic ...

The U.S. envoy to Afghanistan has signaled Washington’s Taliban peace deal, which was signed in February, will now move forward. On Twitter, Zalmay Khalilzad revealed the status of the deal following his week-long tour, which included stops in Uzbekistan, Pakistan and Qatar where Taliban headquarters are located.

According to him, both the U.S. and the terrorist group have “agreed developing plans in support of peace can never start too early.”

2/3 In follow on mtg w/ the Taliban, we underscored the econ development oppts that will follow a sustainable peace. We agreed developing plans in support of peace can never start too early, assuming the 2 sides can overcome final hurdles on the path to intra-Afghan negotiations.

— U.S. Special Representative Zalmay Khalilzad (@US4AfghanPeace) July 3, 2020

Khalilzad added the peace deal will offer many economic benefits. He further suggested joint projects involving Qatar and Pakistan could involve trade and infrastructure.

More at: https://www.oann.com/u-s-pushes-ahea...an-peace-deal/

The biggest hurdle has been the release of prisoners. The peace deal called for the Afghan government to free 5,000 Taliban prisoners in exchange for the Taliban releasing 1,000 government personnel. So far, the government has freed 4,015 and the Taliban has freed 669, according to the Afghan government..

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/us-envoy-forg...101741695.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Two House conservatives are calling on President Trump to “immediately withdraw” all troops from Afghanistan and Iraq, arguing the country needs to stop engaging in “endless wars.”

In a letter sent to President Trump on Tuesday, House Freedom Caucus Chairman Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) said keeping a military presence in the region could mean a loss of power for the U.S.

“Throughout your entire presidency, you have worked tirelessly to Make America Great Again. We are confident you will repeat this feat again after this pandemic. However, the United States will not remain a great power for long if we stay engaged in perpetual warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan,” the letter says.

The Trump administration is reportedly finalizing plans to withdraw 4,000 troops from Afghanistan before Election Day, a move that critics — including House Republican Conference Chairwoman Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) — argue would destabilize the region and put the U.S. national security at risk.

The lawmakers said they believe the calls from members on both sides of the aisle to remain in the country are misguided.

More at: https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...om-afghanistan

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Defense Department announced Tuesday that U.S. troops have withdrawn from five military bases and reduced the size of its forces in Afghanistan as part of the agreement reached with the Taliban in February.

Pentagon chief spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement that "U.S. forces in Afghanistan remain in the mid-8,000s and five bases formerly occupied by U.S. forces have been transferred to our Afghan partners."

More at: https://thehill.com/policy/507378-pe...iban-agreement

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Taliban have put the son of the movement's feared founder in charge of their military wing and added several powerful figures to their negotiating team, Taliban officials said. The shake-up, one of the most significant in years, comes ahead of expected talks with Kabul aimed at ending decades of war in Afghanistan.

As head of a newly united military wing, 30-year-old Mullah Mohammad Yaqoob brings his father's fiercely uncompromising reputation to the battlefield.

Equally significant is the addition of four members of the insurgent group's leadership council to the 20-member negotiating team, Taliban officials told The Associated Press.

The shuffle, overseen by Taliban leader Mullah Hibatullah Akhunzada, is meant to tighten his control over the movement’s military and political arms, the officials said on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the inner workings of the Taliban.

Analysts say the shake-up could be good news for negotiations with the Afghan political leadership, and a sign of how seriously the Taliban are taking this second — and perhaps most critical — step in a deal Washington signed with the insurgents in February.

“I’d say it appears to be a positive development because the Taliban are creating a delegation that seems more senior and more broad-based than they’ve used to date, or than might be strictly necessary for the opening stages of talks,” said Andrew Wilder, vice president of the Asia Program at the Washington-based U.S. Institute of Peace.

On Monday, four-and-a-half months since the signing, chief U.S. negotiator and peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad tweeted that “a key milestone in the implementation of the U.S.-Taliban agreement” had been reached as American troop numbers dropped to 8,600 from about 12,000 and five bases were closed in Afghanistan.

Even as Khalilzad chastised increased insurgent attacks on Afghan security forces, he said the Taliban had been true to their word not to attack U.S. and NATO troops.

“No American has lost his/her life in Afghanistan to Taliban violence. Regional relations have improved,” he tweeted.

The Taliban have stepped up their military activity against Afghan government forces since Yaqoob's appointment in May, a sign the militants under his leadership may see battlefield wins as upping their leverage at the negotiating table.

“I can see a lot of reasons for the Taliban to be pushing the envelope — perhaps as a negotiation tactic, but equally likely as a means to test U.S limits,” said Daniel Markey, a senior research professor at Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies. “So far, the Trump administration looks like it is heading for the exit, no matter what. Why not ratchet up the violence to see what greater victories can be won? ”

Surprisingly, the shuffle also sidelined senior Taliban leader Amir Khan Muttaqi, removing him from the negotiating committee. Seen as close to neighboring Pakistan, his removal could limit Pakistan's influence and buttress their position with Kabul, which is deeply suspicious of Islamabad.

Already a deputy head of the movement, the sudden appointment of the son of Mullah Mohammed Omar as the Taliban military chief reportedly ruffled feathers among members of the leadership council, who had not been consulted. Yaqoob, however, met with the council and won over the dissenters, said the Taliban officials.

“Yaqoob’s appointment appears to be, at least in part, an effort by Mullah Akhundzada to shore up oversight of battlefield operations at a key moment ... as the insurgents ramp up violence to strengthen their negotiating position in preparation for potential peace talks with the Afghan government,” said Michael Kugelman, deputy director of the Asia Program at the Washington-based Wilson Center.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/taliban-big-c...115706578.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Amid a substantial US pullout from Afghanistan, the administration still doesn’t have a proper US Ambassador for that country. Reports, however, are that the short list includes a long-time war critic, Will Ruger.

Though not nominated yet, Ruger is undergoing vetting, and has been meeting with officials. The Vice President for Research and policy at the Charles Koch Institute, Ruger has frequently advocated ending the Afghanistan War.

Though the US is heading toward ending that war anyhow, with so many officials taking a wait and see approach, having a proper ambassador who is known to want a pullout would be a clear signal the administration intends to complete the process.

According to Politico:

Ruger, a Naval Reserve officer who served a year in Afghanistan a decade ago, is aligned with the president’s thinking about the U.S. footprint in the Middle East and the wars in Afghanistan and Syria, and has been especially vocal about getting out of Afghanistan.

“President Trump has correctly concluded that a full and speedy withdrawal of our troops is imperative,” he wrote in the American Interest in late May. “Our national interest isn’t served by continuing to wage a futile battle but by exiting it.”

The US is well ahead of its pullout schedule, down to about 8,500 troops in Afghanistan. Officials sayt hey want 4,000 by the election, and some are saying a complete pullout is possible by then.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...edy-withdrawal

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yeah totally happening this time. Or not....

Congress blocking Trump's Afghanistan withdrawal
    https://www.defenseone.com/politics/...drawal/166880/

If only he were like Commander-in-Chief of the military and could issue an executive order directly to the DoD demanding immediate withdrawal. Naaa, we'll stick with the narrative that he's always blocked at every turn by that pesky Congress instead.

But muh bounties!
    Last edited by devil21; 07-18-2020 at 09:26 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Yeah totally happening this time. Or not....

Congress blocking Trump's Afghanistan withdrawal
    https://www.defenseone.com/politics/...drawal/166880/

If only he were like Commander-in-Chief of the military and could issue an executive order directly to the DoD demanding immediate withdrawal. Naaa, we'll stick with the narrative that he's always blocked at every turn by that pesky Congress instead.

But muh bounties!
    LOL

Congress is threatening to do something but they haven't yet and Trump will veto it if they try, by the time they might override his veto the troops will be home.

You sure want to keep the troops in Afghanistan, I wonder why.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL

Congress is threatening to do something but they haven't yet and Trump will veto it if they try, by the time they might override his veto the troops will be home.

You sure want to keep the troops in Afghanistan, I wonder why.
    Ya got me. My secret is now out. I control everything via my RPF posts. It's totally about what I want or don't want instead of what the CFR wants.

Ya got me. My secret is now out. I control everything via my RPF posts. It's totally about what I want or don't want instead of what the CFR wants.
    But you have to admit that president Donald could veto the decision of the toothless Congress!
    So if he doesn't that only proves that he was lying once again.

Then maybe in a couple of months or so, some Trump fan could start a "new" thread on president Donald really getiing "our" troops home from somewhere in the world. There must be a couple of occasions when that will actually become true.
    There are of course other regions that can get more American soldiers at the same or private contractors (like Erik Prince the brother of Betsy DeVos), but please don't mention that or you will be accused of all sorts of nasty things by the Trumpkins...
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    But you have to admit that president Donald could veto the decision of the toothless Congress!
    So if he doesn't that only proves that he was lying once again.
    It's just the narrative they're going with. Trump doesn't need Congressional approval to withdraw every last soldier from Afghanistan, just like he never needs Congress to send more. Real 35D chess would be an executive order directly to the DoD demanding immediate withdrawal. What's Congress gonna do? Stop funding the war under the 20 year old AUMF? Congress could only pass a non-binding resolution. The original AUMF gave the President the Commander-in-Chief authority to continue the Afghanistan occupation. It doesn't REQUIRE it, therefore Trump could simply demand withdrawal via EO and be done with it. The first EO was issued by Lincoln (big ol' rabbit hole there) so if Trump is trying to emulate Lincoln, there's a perfect opportunity.

Then maybe in a couple of months or so, some Trump fan could start a "new" thread on president Donald really getiing "our" troops home from somewhere in the world. There must be a couple of occasions when that will actually become true.
    It will, in an official sense, but only because the dollar is losing its global reserve status and can't be directly used for imperialism by US Inc., on behalf of Britain, any more. Overthrowing existing governments and replacing with western central bank puppets allowed the global dollar standard to be used to pay off the installed heads of state and new puppet governments.

There are of course other regions that can get more American soldiers at the same or private contractors (like Erik Prince the brother of Betsy DeVos), but please don't mention that or you will be accused of all sorts of nasty things by the Trumpkins...
    That is the catch. "Removal" of troops will only generally mean they switch from US uniforms to Blackwater uniforms and/or UN uniforms and receive a big pay increase of devaluing dollars. This has already been happening. I'm just waiting for the official announcement that "There are no longer any US Military troops in Afghanistan." The mindscrew will be that it is technically correct, since they wouldn't be US Military troops anymore. They would be private contractors or UN.
    Last edited by devil21; 07-19-2020 at 10:28 AM.

The Taliban are prepared to hold peace talks with the Afghan government next month straight after the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, the insurgents said Thursday, provided an ongoing prisoner swap has been completed.

The conditional offer marks the first occasion a talks timeline has been floated since warring parties blew past a March 10 deadline to begin negotiations.

The Taliban are "likely ... ready to begin intra-Afghan negotiations immediately after Eid in case the process of the release of the prisoners is completed," the insurgents' political spokesman Suhail Shaheen said on Twitter.

He added that the Taliban were ready to release the remaining Afghan security force prisoners in their custody, as long as Kabul freed all insurgent inmates "as per our list already delivered" to authorities.

Afghanistan's National Security Council spokesman Javid Faisal said several of the freed Taliban inmates were dangerous fighters who quickly returned to the battlefield.

"The Taliban ... must stick to their commitments of stopping the freed prisoners from going back to violence," he said on Twitter.

"Stop violence, get ready for intra-Afghan talks as soon as possible," he said soon after Shaheen's tweet.

So far, Kabul has released about 4,400 Taliban captives. The militants say they have freed 864 government inmates.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/taliban-propo...162413477.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

bump

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast