Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Secession in the Pacific Northwest? Some Oregon residents petition to join Idaho

  1. #1

    Exclamation Secession in the Pacific Northwest? Some Oregon residents petition to join Idaho

    Secession in the Pacific Northwest? Some Oregon residents petition to join Idaho

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...de/4789936002/

    Kristin Lam
    USA TODAY

    Frustrated by liberal policies, some Oregon residents are petitioning to leave the state –by moving the border with Idaho westward.

    The movement has secured initial approval from two counties and aims to get enough signatures to put the proposal on local ballots in November, said the group Move Oregon's Border for a Greater Idaho.

    If the group succeeds, voters in southeast Oregon may see a question on whether their county should become part of Idaho by redrawing the border.

    “Rural counties have become increasingly outraged by laws coming out of the Oregon Legislature that threaten our livelihoods, our industries, our wallet, our gun rights, and our values,” Mike McCarter, one of the chief petitioners, said in a press release. “We tried voting those legislators out but rural Oregon is outnumbered and our voices are now ignored. This is our last resort.”

    more at link...



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    City vs Country.

    Again.

    Still.


    Starve the cities! Thin the heard.

  4. #3
    If they form a union with the State of Jefferson (N. California & S. Oregon), that's two States independent of the USMCA clusterflop.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 02-18-2020 at 07:34 AM. Reason: USMCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    DACA S**thole Dreamers - Make America Great Again?

  5. #4
    Something tells me that isn't going to make it to the ballot. Like how Calexit was stopped from being on the ballot last presidential election.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    If they form a union with the State of Jefferson (N. California & S. Oregon), that's two States independent of the USMCA clusterflop.
    I'd love the State of Jefferson!
    There is no spoon.

  7. #6
    I am approve these shenanigans.


    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

    • "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law." - The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      - Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      - Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

    · tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·
    MOFA (Make Orwell Fiction Again)

  8. #7
    So you're saying Harold Covington died too soon?

  9. #8
    Greater Idaho for the win!



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Some states are too big, and should be more than one state. It’s also nice to give rural areas some say in their states and the federal government.

    But any new state that is created will be strategically infiltrated and co-opted. Leftist billionaires and companies will move jobs there, create an urban center, and populate it with leftists until they dominate the new state.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Some states are too big, and should be more than one state. It’s also nice to give rural areas some say in their states and the federal government.

    But any new state that is created will be strategically infiltrated and co-opted. Leftist billionaires and companies will move jobs there, create an urban center, and populate it with leftists until they dominate the new state.
    That's why joining another conservative state is such a good idea.

    It adds conservatives to an already conservative state and deprives a liberal state of population and taxes.

  13. #11
    Good luck.
    When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? - Miguel de Cervantes, (Don Quixote)

    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Federal Reserve Notes of patriotic central banks

  14. #12
    Oregon's 2020 legislative session imploded Thursday amid a boycott by minority Republicans over a climate change measure, an action they have taken repeatedly and which Democrats say threatens democratic rule.In response, Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, is finalizing executive actions that will reduce Oregon’s greenhouse gas emissions, House Speaker Tina Kotek told the chamber as the session ended early. The GOP walkout resulted in not only the bill aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions being killed, but many other measures, including on gun control and housing for the homeless.
    Frustration boiled into the open after Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger, Jr., said his party would return on Sunday only to vote on emergency budget bills. At a news conference, Democratic lawmakers, some struggling to keep their composure, said representative democracy is at stake by repeated use of walkouts to deny a quorum and freeze all legislation.
    “It's a historical precedent that I think shows us where we're headed and ... that anytime they are not happy with any sort of bill, our government is going to be shut down,” said Rep. Diego Hernandez, a Democrat from Portland.
    Senate President Peter Courtney took the podium and responded to Baertschiger's offer by declaring the session over.
    "All of us are going to be in history one day as the Legislature that failed the fifth short session,” Courtney said. This was the fifth short session since even-year 35-day sessions began in 2012.

    More at: https://news.yahoo.com/oregon-gop-la...195038482.html

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Oregon's 2020 legislative session imploded Thursday amid a boycott by minority Republicans over a climate change measure, an action they have taken repeatedly and which Democrats say threatens democratic rule.In response, Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, is finalizing executive actions that will reduce Oregon’s greenhouse gas emissions, House Speaker Tina Kotek told the chamber as the session ended early. The GOP walkout resulted in not only the bill aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions being killed, but many other measures, including on gun control and housing for the homeless.
    Frustration boiled into the open after Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger, Jr., said his party would return on Sunday only to vote on emergency budget bills. At a news conference, Democratic lawmakers, some struggling to keep their composure, said representative democracy is at stake by repeated use of walkouts to deny a quorum and freeze all legislation.
    “It's a historical precedent that I think shows us where we're headed and ... that anytime they are not happy with any sort of bill, our government is going to be shut down,” said Rep. Diego Hernandez, a Democrat from Portland.
    Senate President Peter Courtney took the podium and responded to Baertschiger's offer by declaring the session over.
    "All of us are going to be in history one day as the Legislature that failed the fifth short session,” Courtney said. This was the fifth short session since even-year 35-day sessions began in 2012.

    More at: https://news.yahoo.com/oregon-gop-la...195038482.html
    Shut_it_down.
    "The Patriarch"

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Shut_it_down.
    Civil disobedience and sabotage is the key to making them agree to let the rural counties join Idaho.

    Hopefully Washington can follow.

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Civil disobedience and sabotage is the key to making them agree to let the rural counties join Idaho.

    Hopefully Washington can follow.
    If Eastern Washington joins Idaho I'm in. But it won't happen. Either way I'll be in Idaho or Montana in the next 5 years.
    "The Patriarch"

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Oregon's 2020 legislative session imploded Thursday amid a boycott by minority Republicans over a climate change measure, an action they have taken repeatedly and which Democrats say threatens democratic rule.In response, Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, is finalizing executive actions that will reduce Oregon’s greenhouse gas emissions, House Speaker Tina Kotek told the chamber as the session ended early. The GOP walkout resulted in not only the bill aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions being killed, but many other measures, including on gun control and housing for the homeless.
    Frustration boiled into the open after Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger, Jr., said his party would return on Sunday only to vote on emergency budget bills. At a news conference, Democratic lawmakers, some struggling to keep their composure, said representative democracy is at stake by repeated use of walkouts to deny a quorum and freeze all legislation.
    “It's a historical precedent that I think shows us where we're headed and ... that anytime they are not happy with any sort of bill, our government is going to be shut down,” said Rep. Diego Hernandez, a Democrat from Portland.
    Senate President Peter Courtney took the podium and responded to Baertschiger's offer by declaring the session over.
    "All of us are going to be in history one day as the Legislature that failed the fifth short session,” Courtney said. This was the fifth short session since even-year 35-day sessions began in 2012.

    More at: https://news.yahoo.com/oregon-gop-la...195038482.html
    Good.

    We can do just what the Bolshies claim to do:

    Become Ungovernable.



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    In an end run around Republican legislators, Oregon’s Democratic governor ordered the state on Tuesday to lower greenhouse gas emissions, directing a state agency to set and enforce caps on pollution from industry and transportation fuels. Gov. Kate Brown’s sweeping executive order, one of the boldest in the nation, aims to reduce carbon emissions to at least 45% below 1990 levels by 2035 and an 80% reduction from 1990 levels by 2050. It more than doubles a clean fuels program, making it the most ambitious goal for clean fuels in the country, Brown said at a news conference.
    “I’ve heard it loud and clear from our young people in Oregon: climate action is crucial and urgent,” Brown said, surrounded by students. “If we adults don’t take action right away, it is the next generation that will pay the price.”


    Republicans lawmakers, a minority in the Legislature, staged a walkout during this year’s short session to sabotage a bill that aimed at many of the same climate goals. The boycott caused the session to end two days early on Friday, with only three bills passed and more than 100 dying, including the climate measure.
    Senate Republican leader Herman Baertschiger Jr. predicted Brown’s executive action would wind up in court.


    “I think all this is going to do is initiate a whole bunch of lawsuits,” he said Monday. Brown’s legal team said it is confident they would prevail in any litigation.
    Baertschiger said many rural counties oppose the so-called cap-and-trade concept.
    “It’s obvious Kate Brown is not Oregon’s Governor, she is Portland’s Governor, and as she promised, she is serving revenge, cold and slowly,” he said in a statement.

    More at: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...mate-change-e/



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 09:56 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 02:16 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 12:00 PM
  4. Hottest-ever Temps Roast Pacific Northwest
    By Reason in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM
  5. 13 votes from the Pacific Northwest
    By surf in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •