Thread: A War Over Sex Work is Raging Inside The Nation’s Biggest Feminist Group

A War Over Sex Work is Raging Inside The Nation’s Biggest Feminist Group

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-na...-over-sex-work

Feb. 09, 2020

There’s a growing divide within the feminist movement on whether the sale and purchase of consensual, adult sex should be decriminalized.

At a recent hearing in Washington, D.C., the president of the National Organization for Women made it abundantly clear that her organization would not support a bill to decriminalize sex work in the capital.

Testifying in front of the D.C. City Council, Toni Van Pelt, the 72-year-old leader of the storied women’s rights organization, claimed the bill would make Washington a “prime international sex tourism destination” and pose an “extreme threat to women and girls.” Sex work, she said, was “the most extreme version of the violent oppression of women.”

Asked whether the local NOW chapter supported her position, Van Pelt replied firmly: “I am representing all the chapters in the National Organization for Women.”

Watching the testimony from home days later, Monica Weeks, the president of the local NOW chapter, was shocked. Her chapter had never declared opposition to the bill—in fact, they were working on testimony in support of it.

“That [was] the most blatant demonstration of disrespect we’ve had in a long time,” she told The Daily Beast. “And honestly they probably don’t even realize it.”

The episode illustrated a growing divide within the feminist movement on whether the sale and purchase of consensual adult sex should be decriminalized. Numerous human rights groups have endorsed the idea, claiming it would make the sex trade safer and curtail discriminatory policing. But women’s organizations like NOW, founded at a time when many feminists considered prostitution inherently demeaning, continue to oppose it.

Internally, however, backlash is brewing. Younger members and women of color told The Daily Beast they are frustrated by the leadership’s refusal to hear them out on the subject. Some have formed private Facebook groups to vent and strategize, while others have fumed on internal listservs and in letters to the board. A task force meant to reach consensus on the issue stalled without a single meeting.

And the debate only seems to be intensifying. Hours after The Daily Beast reached out to NOW’s national group for comment, Van Pelt sent an email blast to all chapter leaders warning that they “should not speak out in opposition to a national policy in the press.”

“Since the founding of the National Organization for Women in 1966 we have spoken in one voice on the issues critical to women’s equality,” Van Pelt wrote. “It is essential that all chapter leaders and members adhere to positions regarding the issues, public policy and law affirmed by the National Conference or National Board.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess they don't mean it when they say "my body my choice".
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I guess they don't mean it when they say "my body my choice".
    They never meant it.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Of course a bunch of feminists would be getting riled up over something like this.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Women argue.

Smart men leave them to argue amongst themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Women argue.

Smart men leave them to argue amongst themselves.
    True. Trying to win an argument with a woman is nearly impossible.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

What you have here, gentlemen, is a very clear picture. Gender feminists will deny rights to all women if to recognize women’s rights would benefit one single man.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    What you have here, gentlemen, is a very clear picture. Gender feminists will deny rights to all women if to recognize women’s rights would benefit one single man.
    They are doing it wrong..

(experienced personal opinion)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post

These feminists do not fool me . They have no intention of buying my drinks .
    Do something Danke