Thread: Barr blasts Trump's tweets on Stone case: 'Impossible for me to do my job'

Barr blasts Trump's tweets on Stone case: 'Impossible for me to do my job'

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/barr...ry?id=68963276

In an exclusive interview, Attorney General Bill Barr told ABC News on Thursday that President Donald Trump "has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case” but should stop tweeting about the Justice Department because his tweets “make it impossible for me to do my job.

Barr’s comments are a rare break with a president who the attorney general has aligned himself with and fiercely defended. But it also puts Barr in line with many of Trump’s supporters on Capitol Hill who say they support the president but wish he’d cut back on his tweets.

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC News Chief Justice Correspondent Pierre Thomas.

When asked if he was prepared for the consequences of criticizing the president – his boss – Barr said “of course” because his job is to run the Justice Department and make decisions on “what I think is the right thing to do.”

“I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody ... whether it’s Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president,” Barr said. “I’m gonna do what I think is right. And you know … I cannot do my job here at the department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me.”

Barr ignited a firestorm this week after top Justice Department officials intervened in the sentencing of Roger Stone, a longtime friend and former campaign adviser to the president who was convicted of lying to Congress, witness tampering and obstruction of justice.

In a stunning reversal, the Justice Department overruled a recommendation by its own prosecution team that Stone spend seven to nine years in jail and told a judge that such a punishment – which was in line with sentencing guidelines – “would not be appropriate.”

The about-face raised serious questions about whether Barr had intervened on behalf of the president’s friend. It also raised questions about whether Trump personally pressured the Justice Department, either directly or indirectly.

In the interview with ABC News, Barr fiercely defended his actions and said it had nothing to do with the president. He said he was supportive of Stone’s convictions but thought the sentencing recommendation of seven to nine years was excessive. When news outlets reported the seven to nine year sentencing recommendation last Monday, Barr said he thought it was spin.

Barr said he told his staff that night that the Justice Department has to amend its recommendation. Hours later, the president tweeted that it was “horrible and very unfair” and that “the real crimes were on the other side.”
    More at link.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He should resign then.

Did you know Zippy that the president is the chief law officer in the nation? He can do what he wants.

Barr didn't say that Trump did anything wrong, he just "wishes" that he wouldn't do it because then he wouldn't have to constantly explain himself to the TDS crowd who think they know what the law is.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Good
    Fk that pos
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

It appears that Attorney General Barr was the only person on the planet who didn't know of Trump's tweeting habits prior to accepting the position. To complain about this just comes off as catty.

Lol @ anybody buying into this.

The most recent news cycle was all about how Barr is Trump's lackey for "caving" on Roger Stone sentencing times. Now Barr is being aggressive in projecting his independence by "defying" Trump, the TDS democrats, liberal media and never-Trumpers all bite hard.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Barr should stay away from Fake News. The Republican's better grow a spine while the going is good.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

So Barr is an independent AG and not a Trump puppet the way the left was alleging last year? Because it doesn't seem like you can have it both ways.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ...an AG that hates FREEDOM OF SPEECH (even dumb speech) ???

THE H3LL YOU SAY!

Perhaps he needs a refresher, yes i am assuming he has previously read it.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

nah, fk dat noise

he like the 2nd amendment a NOT too...
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by familydog View Post
    It appears that Attorney General Barr was the only person on the planet who didn't know of Trump's tweeting habits prior to accepting the position. To complain about this just comes off as catty.
    How he can be oblivious to that is beyond me.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

No, this is not fake WWE wrestling as some are suggesting. Barr is a strong Catholic believer and widely respected community leader, he won't do any fake wrestling styled politics. POTUS is also a straight shooter.

The two men are so close that there was immediate speculation that Barr's television interview may have been more about managing public opinion than a real outcry against Trump's alleged interference in judicial affairs.

That said, a subordinate should not undermine POTUS by criticizing him in public.

Not surprisingly, Trump says he can do whatever he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Not surprisingly, Trump says he can do whatever he wants to.

No, he didn't. He just said he has the legal right to ask him to do something in a criminal case. Which he does. He certainly did not say that he has the right to do "anything" and he also did not say he has the right to tell Barr what to do in a criminal case. He just said the word "ask".

TDS people have serious problems with basic logic and english comprehension skills.

Do you do art in your spare time by any chance?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, he didn't. He just said he has the legal right to ask him to do something in a criminal case. Which he does. He certainly did not say that he has the right to do "anything" and he also did not say he has the right to tell Barr what to do in a criminal case. He just said the word "ask".

TDS people have serious problems with basic logic and english comprehension skills.

Do you do art in your spare time by any chance?
    Trump has the power to tell him what to do if he wants, Barr works for Trump.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump has the power to tell him what to do if he wants, Barr works for Trump.
    Barr works for the Americans.

So does Trump.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So does Trump.
    Trump works for Trump though he is supposed to work for us.

Trump is not supposed to work for the deep state.

Trump works for us and Barr works for him.

Article II (Article 2 - Executive)

Section 1

1: The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America.

8: Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Section 3

he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump works for us and Barr works for him.

Article II (Article 2 - Executive)

Section 1

1: The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America.

8: Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Section 3

he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed
    The Attorney General is represents the country, not the President. He can (and does) have his own lawyers.

https://www.wbur.org/freakout/2017/0...l-palmer-raids

The attorney general is supposed to represent not the president, but the U.S. government. And the history of the attorney general is long, but the confusion that people are having right now is the idea that somehow the attorney general is supposed to be the president's lawyer.

He is not the president's lawyer. He is the lawyer for the U.S. government, and the problems that attorney generals get into is when they make the mistake of thinking that serving the president alone means serving the United States' people, and I think that that's a problem that Sessions might be getting into. But there was a moment in the past that looks much like the present that most people have forgotten, and that is crucially important. That moment is under President Woodrow Wilson right after World War I in 1919 to 1920, when the attorney general actually sponsored a number of raids against the American people that really have gone down in history as some of our most dangerous domestic events.

During World War I, in order to whip up support for the war, President Woodrow Wilson encouraged fears of foreigners. At first it was primarily fear of Germans, but after the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917, the real American fear turned to communism in Russia. The fear was that these people would bring communism to America. By 1919 there were a number of communist organizations that started to plant bombs in America, and one of them was in the home of the attorney general, a guy named Mitchell Palmer. Afterwards, Palmer vowed he was going to wipe radicalism out of America. And he launched what are called the Palmer Raids. By 1920 they started to round up anybody who appears to be a communist or a labor activist. So by the end of the Palmer Raids they have created a situation in America where it seems to be open season on people who are organizing to promote the interests of labor or who might be somehow politically against the Wilson administration. So, by the end of the Palmer Raids, they have officially rounded up — and arrested without charges — more than 6,000 Americans.

The Attorney General is represents the country, not the President. He can (and does) have his own lawyers.

He represents the power of the President to enforce the law.
    All executive authority is derived from the President who is the chief law enforcement officer.
    Trump has the power to tell him what to do as long as Trump is not telling him to break the law.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by familydog View Post
    34D chess

So does Trump.
    So does Zippy. Guess who pays his salary.

Barr simply trying to make history not remember him as a lapdog.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    34D chess
    The general government is like a clumsy, retarded giant and President Trump is the temporary head. He is a master manipulator of media and individual politicians, but he stumbles and fumbles into his legal and political luck.

Did they hire a foreigner to temporarily fill in on the Zippy account?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

So does Trump.

^this.

It is encouraging to have confirmation that controversial UK-Firster David Icke's meme that crossed the line was based on fakenews premise.

For too long, political amateurs have fiddeld with so called 'follow the money' theories and may have slandered many Soros, Adelson funded patriots in the process who were actually working for American public and not their funders.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Did they hire a foreigner to temporarily fill in on the Zippy account?
    The original Zippy got a raise and had to have his hours cut short.