Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump blasts Roger Stone sentencing as ‘miscarriage of justice’

Trump blasts Roger Stone sentencing as ‘miscarriage of justice’

President Donald Trump early Tuesday morning called the conviction and upcoming sentencing of political prankster Roger Stone a “miscarriage of justice.”

The president was reacting to federal prosecutors recommendation that Stone serve between 7 and 9 years in prison after his conviction on witness tampering and obstruction charges.

"This is a horrible and very unfair situation,” Trump wrote on Twitter.

“The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice!”

Stone, who is scheduled to be sentenced next week, was convicted in November of a seven-count indictment that accused him of lying to Congress, tampering with a witness and obstructing the House investigation into whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russia to tip the 2016 election.

He was the sixth Trump aide or adviser to be convicted of charges brought as part of special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation.

Prosecutors said in their sentencing memorandum on Monday that Stone “decided to double — and triple — down on his criminal conduct by tampering with a witness for months in order to make sure his obstruction would be successful.”

Stone has denied wrongdoing and consistently criticized the case against him as politically motivated. He did not take the stand during the trial and his lawyers did not call any witnesses in his defense.
    https://nypost.com/2020/02/11/trump-...ge-of-justice/

If Roger Stone spends one night in a Federal hellhole/prison then Trump should be ashamed of himself and maybe some of his supporters will turn against him !

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It might be difficult for Trump to issue pardons before the election. Usually something presidents do on their last day in office.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It might be difficult for Trump to issue pardons before the election. Usually something presidents do on their last day in office.
    Wasn't hard for Obama.

Trump needs to announce the pardon for Stone in the afternoon when he sentenced. He should NOT spend one night in prison.

And if he does then Trump will forever be remembered as someone who is all talk and no action; another hypocrite who says one thing on twitter and does the opposite in practice (like ending the wars). In fact, I fully expect Trump not to do the pardon because he has shown himself on many issues to be a coward.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Trump needs to announce the pardon for Stone in the afternoon when he sentenced. He should NOT spend one night in prison.

And if he does then Trump will forever be remembered as someone who is all talk and no action; another hypocrite who says one thing on twitter and does the opposite in practice (like ending the wars). In fact, I fully expect Trump not to do the pardon because he has shown himself on many issues to be a coward.
    Our moron in chief needs to stop $#@!ing around and start getting $#@! done. I still don't know if it is OK to make fun of commies. What if Trump gets whacked tomorrow and I have to apologize to all the commies I offended this week? Will I get away with being sent to the reeducation camp or will it get worse? What if the commies get vindictive?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Yeah, setting the stage to be lenient in case any of the Crossfire Hurricane team gets prosecuted.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Would Trump say what happened to Snowden is also a miscarriage of justice? I seem to recall him saying in 2013 that Snowden was a bad guy.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Would Trump say what happened to Snowden is also a miscarriage of justice? I seem to recall him saying in 2013 that Snowden was a bad guy.
    Time to start holding this $#@!er feet to the fire. He's been making out with Nancy far too long.
    Last edited by timosman; 02-11-2020 at 01:35 PM.

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/11/80488...ng-trump-tweet

The judge is the one who will decide the sentence anyways. Stone also served as the "dirty tricks" guy for Nixon.

DoJ To 'Revise' Sentencing Request For Roger Stone Following Trump Tweet

The Justice Department plans to revise its recommendations for sentencing in the case of political consultant Roger Stone following a tweet about it by President Trump on Tuesday.

Officials at the Justice Department's headquarters in Washington were "shocked" when they saw on Monday night that the U.S. Attorney's Office in Washington, D.C., had recommended seven to nine years in prison in Stone's case, a senior Justice Department official said.

Department leadership found the recommendation to be "extreme and excessive and disproportionate to Stone's offenses," the official said. DoJ leaders expect a new filing to be submitted to "clarify" the department's position.

The back-and-forth over the recommendation for Stone's sentence follows a post on Twitter by Trump on Tuesday that faulted the recommended sentence.

Officials didn't make any explicit link between the president's tweet and the Justice Department's planned action.

Stone and his camp sought to serve as intermediaries between Trump's campaign and WikiLeaks during the 2016 presidential election, though Stone said he did nothing wrong.

He maintained he had no inside knowledge about the Russian attack on the election or WikiLeaks' role, and that he was only talking up his own importance. Prosecutors, however, charged him with lying to Congress, obstructing its investigation and witness tampering.

Stone was convicted on all seven counts in his trial by a federal jury in November. The judge has scheduled sentencing for next week. Ahead of that, prosecutors and Stone's defense team filed their respective sentencing memos Monday.

Prosecutors recommended up to nine years, in keeping with federal guidelines. Stone's attorneys asked for probation.

Presiding Judge Amy Berman Jackson isn't bound by the recommendations from either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

The judge is the one who will decide the sentence anyways. Stone also served as the "dirty tricks" guy for Nixon.
    The judge is a really biased OBAMA appointed judge in the District of Criminals. SHe will give the harshest sentence she can.

A fight at the DOJ and someone lost their job? A prosecutor? Now that's rare.

Hillary commits espionage ,and in my view is complicit in the Benghazi murders, uses pay for play with
    Russia along with Mueler, and the Foundation as a slush fund.

So Roger Stone gets Prison for process crime- - - - - , his legal fees should be reimbursed, and
    he should be awarded millions
    in compensation for wrongful persecution and prosecution .

They tried to get Roger to rat on Trump, it didn't work, just another fishing expedition alongside

Russia Gate 1 2 and 3, and all the invented sex scandal, sound bites, and what Trump had for
    breakfast in 1974.

Roger Stone Prosecutor Resigns 'Immediately' After DOJ Rejects Sentencing

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...ncing-proposal
    The prosecutor who recommended that Trump confidant Roger Stone receive up to nine years in prison has resigned, effective immediately - after reports have emerged that his office misled the DOJ over the proposal, which reportedly 'shocked' DOJ officials.

Prosecutor Aaron Zelinsky gave no details in a Tuesday letter submitted in Stone's case, however a footnote reads that it was "effective immediately."...
    Gotta read the footnotes. Zelinsky, the former Mueller prosecutor still helping with the Stone case, resigned from DOJ "effective immediately."

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status...881797/photo/1
    Last edited by Valli6; 02-11-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Roger Stone trending on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

That judge us hardly a neutral party. She is a left wing activist Obama appointee. She doubled Paul Manafort's already insane sentence.

I watched the American Greed on Paul Manafort. Instead of being disgusted at Manafort, I was disgusted at how the justice system is being used to punish people excessively for their politics. Manafort and Stone's sentences are major civil liberties violations.

No right thinking person thinks tax evasion and the bank fraud associated with it deserves eight years.

As far as Stone, this stuff seems like maybe a year if not just probation. Seven years is vile.

It is amazing how people on the left will pay lip service for criminal justice reform- but only when it applies to their voters.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This case is a good litmus test to see who has objective views and who is Trump deranged. Stone getting seven years or nine years is beyond ridiculous.

Rand Paul's neighbor originally got 30 days for something far worse. Not saying Stone didn't break some laws but this is minor stuff.

ANOTHER Roger Stone prosecutor resigned

update: and 2 more "withdrew" from the case. What does it mean?

Four federal prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Washington, D.C., withdrew from Roger Stone’s case on Tuesday amid turmoil surrounding a prison sentence recommendation for the longtime Trump confidante.

Aaron Zelinsky, who handled several of the most prominent cases in the special counsel’s probe, and Jonathan Kravis, an assistant U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C., filed notices of their withdrawals with Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who oversaw Stone’s trial. Prosecutors Adam Jed and Michael Marando also withdrew.
    https://dailycaller.com/2020/02/11/a...gn-roger-stone
    Prosecutors Aaron Zelinsky and Jonathan Kravis (also Prosecutors Adam Jed & Michael Marando)
    Both Roger Stone Prosecutors Resign 'Immediately' After DOJ Rejects Absurd Sentencing Proposal
    Tue, 02/11/2020 - 15:24

Update (1605ET): Just a few short hours after Aaron Zelinsky resigned, Roger Stone's other prosecutor Jonathan Kravis has also just resigned as Assistant US Attorney.

Jonathan Kravis "has resigned as an Assistant United States Attorney and therefore no longer represents the government in this case."

Kravis, a former clerk to Justice Stephen Breyer and Judge Merrick Garland on the US Court of Appeals, served as an associate White House counsel for the Obama administration from 2009 to 2010...

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...ncing-proposal
    Last edited by Valli6; 02-11-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Prosecutors Aaron Zelinsky and Jonathan Kravis
    4 resigned.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Given that Trump is a chronic and habitual liar, it's no surprise that some of his supporters think Stone's perjury is no big deal.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Given that Trump is a chronic and habitual liar, it's no surprise that some of his supporters think Stone's perjury is no big deal.
    Exactly which of Stone's words were perjury? It's a well know fact that corrupt persons set up "perjury traps" as a way of contriving crimes against otherwise innocent people they wish to persecute. If the witness says he was never threatened or "tampered" with, how can the prosecutors insist otherwise?
    Last edited by Valli6; 02-12-2020 at 09:53 AM.

What the $#@! are you talking about?

They were investigating his ties to wikileaks, Roger Stone had heard rumors that they were going to release emails and so he played it up like he had some kinda insider info on his social media.. all of us here had the same information he did.

They were trying to tie him to Russia and Assange.. but Seth Rich is the one who stole the emails from the DNC. If anything the entire justice dept. who went after Stone should be in prison because they were investigating Stone instead of investigating Seth Rich's murder by DNC operatives.

You have a weird, twisted view of what happened that is based on lies in the media, which is the only explanation for why you think Stone was wrong, or lied, or should have even been the subject of the investigation.. and that is why you have no credibility here.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Exactly, which of Stone's words were perjury? It's a well know fact that corrupt persons set up "perjury traps" as a way of contriving crimes against otherwise innocent people they wish to persecute. If the witness says he was never threatened or "tampered" with, how can the prosecutors insist otherwise?
    Don't
    Talk
    To
    The
    POLICE !

It's funny how many people ignore this basic rule. Even smart people.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You have a weird, twisted view of what happened that is based on lies in the media, which is the only explanation for why you think Stone was wrong, or lied, or should have even been the subject of the investigation.. and that is why you have no credibility here.
    I'm only going by the jury's verdict. What's your theory about why the jury convicted him? Were they just stupid people who were conned by the prosecutors? Remember that Stone didn't testify (which is his right), and his attorneys didn't call any witnesses, although they had the right to (and undoubtedly did) cross-examine the government's witnesses. Were they simply incompetent?

The media reports say that there was evidence at trial that Stone testified before Congress that Randi Credico was his intermediary to Julian Assange. Are you claiming Stone never so testified? The media also reported that Credico testified that Stone asked him to get him (Stone) a contact with Wikileaks and that after Congress contacted Credico Stone told him to “stonewall it”, “plead the fifth,” and "do a ‘Frank Pentangeli,’”. Are you claiming Credico never said that at trial?

Just what "lies in the media" (presumably about what happened at the trial) are you referring to?
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I said I think Stone is guilty because a jury convicted him. But nine years???? You think that is even remotely reasonable?

If I knew nothing about the people involved or the case, my intuition would be probation or less than a year of jail time. Nine years is so bonkers and draconian that I don't even know how meet someone halfway on this.

I'm only going by the jury's verdict. What's your theory about why the jury convicted him? Were they just stupid people who were conned by the prosecutors? Remember that Stone didn't testify (which is his right), and his attorneys didn't call any witnesses, although they had the right to (and undoubtedly did) cross-examine the government's witnesses. Were they simply incompetent?
    The jury were D's. I'm surprised they didn't give him the death penalty...

The media reports say that there was evidence at trial that Stone testified before Congress that Randi Credico was his intermediary to Julian Assange. Are you claiming Stone never so testified? The media also reported that Credico testified that Stone asked him to get him (Stone) a contact with Wikileaks and that after Congress contacted Credico Stone told him to “stonewall it”, “plead the fifth,” and "do a ‘Frank Pentangeli,’”. Are you claiming Credico never said that at trial?

Just what "lies in the media" (presumably about what happened at the trial) are you referring to?
    Who cares if Stone talked to Credico? Who cares if he tried to get in touch with Assange? He didn't have any more information than anybody else. Even if he did, who the $#@! cares??

The bigger issue is that the email leaks came from within the DNC and a DNC employee was murdered over it. They weren't investigating that, and that is the only thing that needs to be investigated.

I have no idea if the jurors were smart or stupid, but they were absolutely conned.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    But nine years???? You think that is even remotely reasonable?
    If it were just the perjury count, I would agree that nine years is too much, although I wouldn't give him probation for that (in contrast, I thought Clinton should have been removed for his perjury). But throw in the witness tampering and obstruction, and it becomes more serious. I haven't read all of the the sentencing memorandums that have been submitted by the Department of Justice and the defense, but oit was reported that Stone's attorneys said in their sentencing memorandum that a correct calculation of the federal sentencing guidelines would suggest a prison term of 15 to 21 months (although they argued for probated sentence).

Stone certainly didn't ingratiate himself with the judge when he posted an image of her with what appeared to be crosshairs of a gun near her head, along with a claim that his upcoming trial before her would be a "show trial". His arrogance in this episode was surpassed only by his stupidity.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

If it were just the perjury count, I would agree that nine years is too much, although I wouldn't give him probation for that (in contrast, I thought Clinton should have been removed for his perjury). But throw in the witness tampering and obstruction, and it becomes more serious. I haven't read all of the the sentencing memorandums that have been submitted by the Department of Justice and the defense, but oit was reported that Stone's attorneys said in their sentencing memorandum that a correct calculation of the federal sentencing guidelines would suggest a prison term of 15 to 21 months (although they argued for probated sentence).

Stone certainly didn't ingratiate himself with the judge when he posted an image of her with what appeared to be crosshairs of a gun near her head, along with a claim that his upcoming trial before her would be a "show trial". His arrogance in this episode was surpassed only by his stupidity.
    Rapists get 4 years. Armed Robbery 3 years

Roger Stone gets Trump but Snowden doesnt and Snowden leaks of Hillary Clinton actually helped him with the election..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast