Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trump blasts Roger Stone sentencing as ‘miscarriage of justice’

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    The District of Columbia is by far the most liberal voting district in the country even more so than New York and California. It shouldn’t be a surprise if the entire jury is liberal.
    Fortunately, Constitutional protections mandate that a jury convicting somebody of a crime MUST be unbiased. So, in theory, if an unbiased jury cannot be created, then one could not convict the defendant under the Constitution.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...or-a-new-trial

The judge noted that, despite the juror’s employment appearing on the juror's questionnaire, the defense never included that juror on any of its lists of potential jurors to strike from the case despite ample opportunities to do so in September, as well as in November, when members of the witness pool were questioned prior to the trial beginning.
    Which means Stone's lawyers had no problems with her being on the jury despite her background. They started with a pool of 80 potential jurors meaning 68 were rejected for one reason or another to get to the final 12.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-13-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We would be much better off if Republicans had had the instincts to be immigration hawks.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    They tried to get several purged apparently but the Obama judge ruled against it. His trial was a farce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...or-a-new-trial

Which means Stone's lawyers had no problems with her being on the jury despite her background.
    I'd bet the wapo article is based on assumption as opposed to fact. Just like the other article you posted.
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Looks like they found out they were biased later and they attempted to remove them and the Judge denied it. Several of them. Maybe they wanted to purge this one too, but after the fourth one got denied they just gave up. I'm pretty sure these kinds of things often trigger a mistrial.

From the order, Stone apparently demanded a new trial on the grounds that one juror worked for the IRS.

Though Stone’s motion remains redacted, Berman Jackson retold Stone’s argument in her order dismissing it.

Stone purportedly argued that the juror’s work as an attorney for the IRS meant that Berman Jackson should have “removed [the juror] for bias.” During the trial, Stone’s attorneys raised the issue and attempted to have the juror removed from the pool.

Berman Jackson denied that request, the filing states.
    Stone also argued that the same juror was contaminated after the person admitted during the jury selection process to having been shown an article in the Wall Street Journal about the trial.

In her rejection of the retrial demand, Berman Jackson said that Stone’s attorneys had the opportunity to flag these concerns during the jury selection process and failed to do so. She noted that the defense lawyers had successfully sought to strike several potential jurors, including some who they flagged for their government jobs.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...nd-for-retrial

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'd bet the wapo article is based on assumption as opposed to fact. Just like the other article you posted.
    Washington Examiner- not the Post. The Examiner is a conservative leaning publication. It cites the judge in the case.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-examiner/
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-13-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    We would be much better off if Republicans had had the instincts to be immigration hawks.
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.

Washington Examiner- not the Post. The Examiner is a conservative leaning publication. It cites the judge in the case.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-examiner/
    LOL, ya, the biased judge.

Looks like they found out they were biased later and they attempted to remove them and the Judge denied it. Several of them. Maybe they wanted to purge this one too, but after the fourth one got denied they just gave up. I'm pretty sure these kinds of things often trigger a mistrial.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...nd-for-retrial
    Did you read the last paragraph you cited?

In her rejection of the retrial demand, Berman Jackson said that Stone’s attorneys had the opportunity to flag these concerns during the jury selection process and failed to do so. She noted that the defense lawyers had successfully sought to strike several potential jurors, including some who they flagged for their government jobs.

Did you read the last paragraph you cited?
    That is not a requirement, though. I don't even know why she said it other than to act like a vindictive $#@!. I don't know if you listened to the Judge's segment, but if a juror is LATER found to be biased, the Judge can call a mistrial. In this case, the jurors were found to be biased during the case, but after the initial selection process. They asked to have the jurors purged and it was denied. However, even if you were to find out after the trial is over that a juror was biased, the judge can and should still call for a mistrial.

That is something that mistrials were built for - when you find out something later that made the trial unfair.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-13-2020 at 05:03 PM.

That is not a requirement, though. I don't even know why she said it other than to act like a vindictive $#@!. I don't know if you listened to the Judge's segment, but if a juror is LATER found to be biased, the Judge can call a mistrial. In this case, the jurors were found to be biased during the case, but after the initial selection process. They asked to have the jurors purged and it was denied. However, even if you were to find out after the trial is over that a juror was biased, the judge can and should still call for a mistrial.

That is something that mistrials were built for - when you find out something later that made the trial unfair.
    Link?

Because the judge handed down an illegal gag order.
    One gag order was handed down only after Stone, demonstrating the height of stupidity, posted a photo of the judge with what appeared to be crosshairs next to her head, along with an incendiary caption that accused the judge of getting ready to have a show trial. After Stone committed multiple violations of that order, the judge tightened the gag order. Although Stone appealed, the Circuit Court dismissed the appeal because Stone and his attorneys had failed to follow the proper procedure. The appellate court's opinion, which details the history of the trial judge's orders and Stone's vilations of them, can be read here:
    https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/D4B4200628A332458525849B0050B669/$file/19-3054-1811856.pdf
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    One gag order was handed down only after Stone, demonstrating the height of stupidity, posted a photo of the judge with what appeared to be crosshairs next to her head, along with an incendiary caption that accused the judge of getting ready to have a show trial. After Stone committed multiple violations of that order, the judge tightened the gag order. Although Stone appealed, the Circuit Court dismissed the appeal because Stone and his attorneys had failed to follow the proper procedure. The appellate court's opinion, which details the history of the trial judge's orders and Stone's vilations of them, can be read here:
    https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/opinions.nsf/D4B4200628A332458525849B0050B669/$file/19-3054-1811856.pdf

To me, it is a much bigger criminal matter that the Stone was correct and the Judge was biased and put on a show trial, than the fact that Stone pointed that out.

Link?
    Warlord said it, why not ask him?

Do you doubt it?

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Warlord said it, why not ask him?

Do you doubt it?
    Thank you for the detailed link supporting your claim.

Stone's lawyers have filed a sealed Motion for New Trial.

https://twitter.com/Techno_Fog/statu...r-social-media

BY JOHN KRUZEL - 02/14/20 05:29 PM EST
    https://thehill.com/regulation/court...-for-new-trial
    ...Stone’s attorneys would not reveal the contents of the motion, which was filed under seal to protect sensitive information, saying only that an un-redacted version will be submitted later for public filing.

However, a day earlier they indicated they were looking into the newly surfaced social media activity of jury foreperson Tomeka Hart.

“Mr. Stone and his defense team are diligently reviewing the newly reported information to determine any appropriate next steps,” said attorney Grant Smith, who did not refer to the juror by name...
    ...in January 2019, Hart also sent a since-deleted tweet of Stone's arrest in a pre-dawn raid in Florida while sharing an article outlining his indictment. "Brought to you by the lock her up peanut gallery," Hart wrote.

Hart did not respond to a request for comment.

U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who is presiding over Stone’s case, ordered the DOJ to respond to the motion by Tuesday.

It was unclear if the request for a new trial — Stone’s second attempt after the first was denied — would delay his scheduled Feb. 20 sentencing.
    Last edited by Valli6; 02-14-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123