Thread: Power to the people: Bernie calls for federal takeover of electricity production

Power to the people: Bernie calls for federal takeover of electricity production

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...duction-110117

02/02/2020

Sanders wants federally owned utilities to build massive amounts of wind and solar to compete with private generators, but critics say that would complicate an already tricky transition to clean energy.

Sen. Bernie Sanders has put nationalizing health insurance at the center of his presidential campaign, but his proposal to fight climate change also calls for a government takeover of a fundamental segment of the economy — electricity production.

Sanders has laid out a $16 trillion climate change plan that would transition U.S. electricity generation away from fossil fuels to renewable resources like wind, solar and hydropower by 2030. That’s far faster than any other Democratic candidate's target and sets a pace that rivals like former Vice President Joe Biden say is unrealistic.

And like Sanders' healthcare plan, the green energy push would muscle many of the country's biggest companies out of the business.

A Sanders administration would pour funding into the four existing "power marketing administrations" that are overseen by the Energy Department, as well as the Tennessee Valley Authority and one newly created entity, to vastly expand their solar, wind and geothermal power production. Those organizations currently provide power from hydroelectric dams to 33 states, and would be able to sell the increased green energy to local utilities nationwide — creating a sort of "public option" that would compete with the coal, natural gas and nuclear plants owned by privately owned power generators.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    thanks democraps
    Do something Danke

What was @juleswin saying about how "Sanders doesn't want to nationalize" industry?
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sieze the means of production?

sounds familiar...
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Too bad we couldn't go back to Tesla, who invented free power for everyone. That was REAL free- not gov "free".

Can't have any of that real free stuff, now can we?
    There is no spoon.

Works well for South-Africa. Cheap power... A little unfortunate that it's also unavailable from time to time...
    "I am a bird"

In other words Sanders to seize the means of production. That has communist written all over it.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    In other words Sanders to seize the means of production. That has communist written all over it.
    Is it much of a surprise?
    "I am a bird"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Works well for South-Africa. Cheap power... A little unfortunate that it's also unavailable from time to time...
    Omaha public power district. Look it up, it's a publicly owned energy company here in the US. The board members are elected by the people. If this is communism then the US have had communism for decades now.
    Last edited by juleswin; 02-03-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Omaha public power district. Look it up, it's a publicly owned energy company here in the US. The board members are elected by the people. If this is communism then the US have had communism for decades now.
    Every utility company served by TVA is either a municipal utility district or a member owned electric cooperative I believe. Despite my issues with our local power board here, it seems to be a good model. We have low rates comparatively and the power is very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Every utility company served by TVA is either a municipal utility district or a member owned electric cooperative I believe. Despite my issues with our local power board here, it seems to be a good model. We have low rates comparatively and the power is very reliable.
    Yea, not complaing about our govt owned electric company. Its reliable, its relatively cheap and they respond very quickly to outages. I am just replying to the people who think govt managing energy companies is communism.

Once Bernie is elected he can nationalize Jules Bank , 401K , paycheck etc
    Do something Danke

Everything government gets involved in it $#@!s up.