Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How Rand Paul went from calling Donald Trump an 'orange windbag' to being a devout disciple

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    How Rand Paul went from calling Donald Trump an 'orange windbag' to being a devout disciple

    Huge article from the Louisville Courier Journal on Rand's curious relationship with Trump. I won't post it all so give them a click:

    https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/31/kentucky-sen-rand-paul-has-gone-trump-critic-devout-ally/4610465002/

    U.S. Sen. Rand Paul once called President Donald Trump a "fake conservative."

    Trump had lobbed his own insults at Paul, saying he "reminds me of a spoiled brat without a properly functioning brain." Later, the Kentucky senator shot back, calling the bellicose New York City business tycoon a "delusional narcissist" on Comedy Central.

    Yes, Paul and Trump came out swinging as they fought for the Republican Party's 2016 presidential nomination.

    But then, things began to change dramatically — once Trump won the nomination and ultimately the presidency.

    Within three years, Paul shifted from calling Trump a bully who was "all blather" to lashing out at the president's political enemies throughout the impeachment saga.

    As the impeachment trial unfolded in the Senate, Paul put himself front and center as a chief defender of Trump, downplaying the seriousness of the proceedings by doing a crossword puzzle during early arguments and walking out on the trial after Chief Justice John Roberts rejected one of his questions because it was related to the identity of the whistleblower whose allegations prompted the impeachment inquiry.

    "I don’t know how you go from saying 'This is the worst person on the face of the Earth' to 'I must protect this person at all costs,'" said Marisa McNee, the Kentucky Democratic Party's deputy executive director. "Only (Paul) can answer that question."

    Brian Darling, who worked as Paul's senior communications director from late 2012 to early 2015, contends that Paul and Trump align closely on foreign policy and issues like cutting taxes.

    They've both advocated for winding down America's military involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq, for example.

    He also said Paul's pivot makes sense politically.

    "Well, it’s smart politics not to trash talk the president and to make comments that are disparaging toward the president, even when you disagree with him, because then you won’t have any influence over the process," Darling said.

    The Republican Party of Kentucky's spokesman Mike Lonergan said Paul's relationship with Trump benefits the state.

    “Our Republican leaders like Senator Paul and President Trump are working hand-in-hand to make life better for Kentuckians," Lonergan said.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    An easy transition from the Ron Paul blimp to the big orange windbag?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

  4. #3
    Remember, in the debates, when Trump said that Rand was too ugly to be on stage? This from one of the (IMHPOV) ugliest guys on the planet.

    That's when I knew Trump had no argument- his only resource is insults.
    There is no spoon.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Remember, in the debates, when Trump said that Rand was too ugly to be on stage? This from one of the (IMHPOV) ugliest guys on the planet.

    That's when I knew Trump had no argument- his only resource is insults.
    This brash style WORKS in the GOP, Rand is far too mild mannered to win the party's nomination. We need to give up on presidential politics and elect more senators. If Rand had 4 votes in the Senate and can act as a bloc then he can bring the place to a halt and hold the balance of power. No budgets getting passed without those votes etc. This is far cheaper and effective than a presidential run.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    This brash style WORKS in the GOP, Rand is far too mild mannered to win the party's nomination. We need to give up on presidential politics and elect more senators. If Rand had 4 votes in the Senate and can act as a bloc then he can bring the place to a halt and hold the balance of power. No budgets getting passed without those votes etc. This is far cheaper and effective than a presidential run.
    The problem is presidential politics is what gets people inspired and involved, Senator Rand Paul is proof of that. 5 Rand like figures would make such a difference, who can we realistically get in though? As imperfect of a Libertarian presidential candidate as Gary Johnson was, I really wish he would of Ran for the New Mexico senate seat years before he did. Joe Miller from Alaska got screwed, idk if he has anything planned for the future. Massie might have enough state wide appeal to win in Kentucky, Im sure Mcconnell will hold onto that until his last breath. Can't really think of any other liberty minded person who both is interested and has a chance. Maybe Glenn Jacobs in Tenn..
    Last edited by TomtheTinker; 02-03-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    The problem is presidential politics is what gets people inspired and involved, Senator Rand Paul is proof of that. 5 Rand like figures would make such a difference, who can we realistically get in though? As imperfect of a Libertarian presidential candidate as Gary Johnson was, I really wish he would of Ran for the New Mexico senate seat years before he did. Joe Miller from Alaska got screwed, idk if he has anything planned for the future. Massie might have enough state wide appeal to win in Kentucky, Im sure Mcconnell will hold onto that until his last breath. Can't really think of any other liberty minded person who both is interested and has a chance. Maybe Glenn Jacobs in Tenn..
    I agree with this. The presidency holds much more influence than a senate and especially a house seat. Yes we need people there, but we live in an age where the president can say 'Simon says, touch your chin' and millions of people will touch their chin. Get someone into the presidency who believes in liberty and that's a lot of people believing in liberty (not a profound understanding, sure, but enough to change the narrative).

    It is what it is.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 02-03-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Elliot's The Hollow Men



Similar Threads

  1. Lindsey Graham compares Donald Trump's foreign policy to Rand Paul calling it isolationist
    By dude58677 in forum 2016 Presidential Election: GOP & Dem
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-30-2016, 04:14 AM
  2. Rand Paul: Trump is an ‘orange-faced windbag’
    By Suzanimal in forum Rand Paul Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-27-2016, 02:49 AM
  3. Rand Paul: Trump is an ‘orange-faced windbag’
    By mrsat_98 in forum Rand Paul Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 05:20 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM
  5. Rand Paul SLAMS Donald Trump!!!
    By Matt Collins in forum Ron Paul Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •