Thread: CPAC dis-invites Mitt(ens) Romney after his impeachment vote.

CPAC dis-invites Mitt(ens) Romney after his impeachment vote.

In another thread I posed the question, what did Mitt gain by being one of only two (and the only one from a conservative state) to vote to bring witnesses in the impeachment vote? Doing that only invites trouble with zero upside.

What is he trying to prove.

Who is he trying to impress.

Who has dirt on him (this is least likely IMO).

CPAC no longer allowing him to attend their annual meetings somewhat surprised me. But I guess he is free from Trump screwing with his re-election since he will have to run for again only when Trump's second term is already done with.

CPAC says Mitt Romney not welcome at annual confab after his impeachment trial vote
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ual-confab-af/

The Conservative Political Action Committee formally disinvited the Utah Republican from its high-profile conference next month, after he voted in favor of new witnesses in President Trump’s impeachment trial.

“BREAKING: The ‘extreme conservative’ and Junior Senator from the great state of Utah, @SenatorRomney is formally NOT invited to #CPAC2020,” tweeted Matt Schlapp, chairman of the American Conservative Union.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They should have uninvited PierrE DelectO a long time ago.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    In another thread I posed the question, what did Mitt gain by being one of only two (and the only one from a conservative state) to vote to bring witnesses in the impeachment vote? Doing that only invites trouble with zero upside.

You missed the most likely explanation.
    He is involved with the corruption in Ukraine and wants to do everything he can to try to stop Trump from exposing it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    He is involved with the corruption in Ukraine and wants to do everything he can to try to stop Trump from exposing it.
    If he was involved, he would prefer to end the impeachment process quickly.

I think that explanation is very unlikely.

Romney was essentially the "Dr. No" of the GOP for this specific vote. He put the target on his own back. Collins will get away with her vote very easily.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

If he was involved, he would prefer to end the impeachment process quickly.

I think that explanation is very unlikely.

Romney was essentially the "Dr. No" of the GOP for this specific vote. He put the target on his own back. Collins will get away with her vote very easily.
    He wants to drag out the impeachment for as long as possible because they can keep Trump from pursuing the Ukraine corruption as long as the impeachment is going on and it gives them more time to create another impeachment to tie him up.

They want to keep him tied up until the election in the hope that he will lose.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If he is involved in the corruption then he would prefer the whole issue end asap instead of prolonging it. And if you know this, then is really no need for a cover up. He is doomed because if a nobody on the internet knows it, then the DOJ knows this too and they will come after him.

I will take back my word if he gets investigated for the corruption.

He wants to drag out the impeachment for as long as possible because they can keep Trump from pursuing the Ukraine corruption as long as the impeachment is going on and it gives them more time to create another impeachment to tie him up.

They want to keep him tied up until the election in the hope that he will lose.
    The investigation is done, the foreign aid money has been released, you make it seem like Trump or anyone in the Ukraine is still investigating this crime.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The investigation is done, the foreign aid money has been released, you make it seem like Trump or anyone in the Ukraine is still investigating this crime.
    Trump is investigating BIDEN'S crime and many others taking place in Ukraine.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Trump is investigating BIDEN'S crime and many others taking place in Ukraine.
    Ukrainiain 'Son Of A Bitch Who Got Fired' Files Criminal Complaint Against Biden

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why did Utah vote for this moron?

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Suit for sale.
    ^^^this^^^

I think he's setting himself up for 2024 (only four years away) possibly laying down a track record he can fall back on. Picture this, if he was a candidate now, what kind of candidate would he be and who would he need votes from? Dems who want Trump impeached. He can say he voted for witnesses.
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 02-02-2020 at 08:24 AM.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Romney/Bloomberg 2024

It would be the greatest crossover since:

Chester Copperpot

CPAC no longer allowing him to attend their annual meetings somewhat surprised me. But I guess he is free from Trump screwing with his re-election since he will have to run for again only when Trump's second term is already done with.

CPAC says Mitt Romney not welcome at annual confab after his impeachment trial vote

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Why did Utah vote for this moron?

Because he is a Mormon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Because he is a Mormon.

Swordsmyth is mormon & he hates him.
    Only Idiots vote for someone based on their identity.

Chester Copperpot

Im not defending the answer, just answering the question you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Because he is a Mormon.
    Maybe, but there are a few million Mormons in Utah who are a hell of a lot better than Romney.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Maybe, but there are a few million Mormons in Utah who are a hell of a lot better than Romney.
    disHonorable mention for Willard's peer group would be all of the Huntsmans, Dirty Harry Reid, and of course Glenn Beck.

Question for Swordsmith:

I'm not Roman Catholic, but I do know that when your priest becomes aware of your personal behavior that is way off base from decency, they will deny you communion. Word on the street is that Pelosi hasn't received communion for years for this reason, although with as corrupt as the RC church is now, it probably wouldn't be hard to go priest-shopping for a commie (Francis) who would do it.

Question: Do the Mormons have a similar method to reign in bad actors? It seems that most denominations turn a blind eye to their members of influence.

At some point in the past, Romney converted to neoconservativism. Natural for him to join the Democrats.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Hopefully Mitt is not trying to prove that GOPA wing is neocons funded stealth group disgned to trick GOP-simple minded wing.

That said, ever since MAGA election, CPAC has gone very politically correct in banning some hardcore conervatives like Laura Loomer while inviting progressive liberal Obama Dems like Van Jones. Bold Trump leadership lately to redefine conservatism and CPAC.

Laura Loomer Files Lawsuit Against Twitter For Banning Her And CAIR For Lobbying To Ban Her

Tucker Carlson, Ann Coulter, and Alessandra Bocci banned from CPAC 2019

This was a game changer:

Van Jones: GOP only an 'anti-Obama party'

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Yep.
    There is no spoon.

CPAC could have easily not invited him over the last few years but instead they do it during the impeachment process.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

"It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    disHonorable mention for Willard's peer group would be all of the Huntsmans, Dirty Harry Reid, and of course Glenn Beck.

Question for Swordsmith:

I'm not Roman Catholic, but I do know that when your priest becomes aware of your personal behavior that is way off base from decency, they will deny you communion. Word on the street is that Pelosi hasn't received communion for years for this reason, although with as corrupt as the RC church is now, it probably wouldn't be hard to go priest-shopping for a commie (Francis) who would do it.

Question: Do the Mormons have a similar method to reign in bad actors? It seems that most denominations turn a blind eye to their members of influence.
    Romney should be denied a Temple Recommend (certification of worthiness to participate in Temple Ordinances), disfellowshipped (this would include denying the equivalent of communion among other disciplinary measures), or even Excommunicated.
    But usually the corrupt members of Church leadership decline to implement such measures against Mormon politicians and celebrities, Harry Reid was never disciplined as one example.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I hate to say it but he is right, there is within the church what I call the "wink and nod network" and extreme social pressure is brought to bear to get members to vote for any Mormon politician, I had a friend who was at one time the treasurer for his state Constitution party and back in 2008 I called him and gave him a list of reasons to vote for Ron Paul instead of Romney in his state Republican primary, he agreed with everything I said, and then he said he was voting for Romney anyway.
    Most Mormons choose to remain in a state of semi-ignorance about politics and just follow the wink and nod network and even some of those who are awake succumb to the pressure.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I cannot really figure out why ronmey was invited there in the first place
    Do something Danke