Thread: Tennessee gov signs a bill to allow religious adoption agencies to deny services to perverts

Tennessee gov signs a bill to allow religious adoption agencies to deny services to perverts

The governor of Tennessee is catching heat for signing a bill that allows religious-based adoption agencies the right to deny services to anyone, including LGBTQ families.
    The measure, which Gov. Bill Lee signed into law on Friday, also protects those agencies from getting sued or retaliated against for rejecting an applicant for "foster care or adoption if it violates their written religious or moral convictions or policies," according to House Bill 836.
    The bill passed by the Tennessee state Senate on Jan. 14 with a 20 to 6 vote. Five members were present but abstained from voting. After the Senate passed the bill, Lee promised to sign the bill once it hit his desk.

"The governor believes that protection of rights is important, especially religious liberty," said Gillum Ferguson, a spokesman for Lee. "This bill is centered around protecting the religious liberty of Tennesseans and that’s why he signed it."

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/tennessee-...opstories.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I'd rather see governments ability to interfere removed but if one must permit more legislation this isn't bad.

* Repealing the civil rights BS would end all the shenanigans that require legal wrangling such as the concept of "religious rights".

I bet this gets challenged in the Supreme Court.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

I certainly don't want a child to end up in the hands of a pedophile.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I certainly don't want a child to end up in the hands of a pedophile.
    Government promotes pedophilia.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Government promotes pedophilia.
    Leave it to pedophiles to promote pedophilia.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

government shouldn't be involved here, same as government shouldn't be involved in marriage
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

The bigger problem is that these agencies don't have this right in the first place...
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

The governor ran on a platform to promote adoption.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    The bigger problem is that these agencies don't have this right in the first place...
    Exactly.

The 1st Amendment is very specific.
    There is no spoon.

Perverts? Normally when I see a conservative calling someone a pervert they end up in a bathroom with a wide stance, or taking pictures of a staffer.

There is a critical lack of foster homes and people adopting. Anyone who is willing to provide a safe and nurturing environment should be commended.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Perverts? Normally when I see a conservative calling someone a pervert they end up in a bathroom with a wide stance, or taking pictures of a staffer.

There is a critical lack of foster homes and people adopting. Anyone who is willing to provide a safe and nurturing environment should be commended.
    PERVERTS.

Perverts do not provide a safe environment.
    And I am glad to see that you admit you want government to force private agencies to violate their religion.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    PERVERTS.

Perverts do not provide a safe environment.
    And I am glad to see that you admit you want government to force private agencies to violate their religion.
    I know your entire role is Agent provocateur on these boards, but where did I say I want to allow government to do that? I said people who can provide a safe home should be commended, I didn't say I supported the bill. Private companies should stay private, if they want to be closed minded that's their right. The free market can decide if they last or not.

While I think calling someone names for their sexual identity isn't very libertarian, hey, that's your right too.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.