Thread: Policing of the American Porch

Policing of the American Porch

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/19/s...-security.html

The growth of easy-to-install home-surveillance equipment, and in particular doorbell cameras, has changed American life in ways obvious and subtle. Marketed in part as a solution to package theft, which has grown alongside e-commerce, especially from Amazon, Ring has found an ally in law enforcement.

More than 500 police departments have partnered with the company, gaining access to a service called Neighbors Portal, which allows users to “ask Ring to request video footage from device owners who are in the area of an active investigation,” according to the company. (This footage is often shared by law enforcement with media organizations for broadcast segments.) Some police departments assist in marketing Ring devices to local citizens, in some cases offering government-subsidized discounts, according to documents obtained by Vice.
    Where is John Galt?

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? - Miguel de Cervantes, (Don Quixote)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I avoid Amazon whenever possible and I don't have ring or a doorbell camera. I don't even lock my van at night, but then I don't look like I have a lot to steal even though my tools are worth way more than the van
    "The Patriarch"

This has proven to be a good deterrent against Injuns "borrowing" my stuff since I have installed cameras. Word must travel in that community, haven't even seen @oyarde sneaking around outside.
    Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer

Ⅎ˥ƎSWIH ˥˥I⋊ ⊥,NᗡIᗡ N
    IƎ⊥SԀƎ

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I avoid Amazon whenever possible and I don't have ring or a doorbell camera. I don't even lock my van at night, but then I don't look like I have a lot to steal even though my tools are worth way more than the van
    People look at me weird when I tell them I have never used Amazon. $#@! em. No doorbell cam either. Living dangerously!

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    This has proven to be a good deterrent against Injuns "borrowing" my stuff since I have installed cameras. Word must travel in that community, haven't even seen @oyarde sneaking around outside.
    He is also getting to old to sneak around.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    He is also getting to old to sneak around.
    He's old not dead.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I don't have a doorbell cam either. Doorbell hasn't even worked the past couple years until my dad recently fixed it a couple months back.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Danke has nothing good on the porch. All the god stuff was out back .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Danke has nothing good on the porch. All the god stuff was out back .
    What kind of God stuff does he have?
    Where is John Galt?

When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? - Miguel de Cervantes, (Don Quixote)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    What kind of God stuff does he have?
    It was out back .
    Do something Danke