Thread: Weekly Update - How Expansive Is FBI Spying?

Weekly Update - How Expansive Is FBI Spying?

Weekly Update - How Expansive Is FBI Spying?

How Expansive Is FBI Spying?
    By Ron Paul

Cato Institute research fellow Patrick Eddington recently filed several Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests to find out if the Federal Bureau of Investigation ever conducted surveillance of several organizations dealing with government policy, including my Campaign for Liberty. Based on the FBI’s response, Campaign for Liberty and other organizations, including the Cato institute and the Reason Foundation, may have been subjected to FBI surveillance or other data collection.

I say “may have been,” because the FBI gave Mr. Eddington a “Glomar response” to his FOIA requests pertaining to these organizations. A Glomar response is where an agency says it can “neither confirm nor deny” involvement in a particular activity. Glomar was a salvage ship that the Central Intelligence Agency used to recover a sunken Soviet submarine in the 1970s. In response to a FOIA request by Rolling Stone magazine, the CIA claimed that just confirming or denying the Glomar’s involvement in the salvage operation would somehow damage national security. A federal court agreed with the agency, giving federal bureaucrats, and even local police departments, a new way to avoid giving direct answers.

The Glomar response means these organizations may have been, and may still be, subjected to federal surveillance. As Mr. Eddington told Reason magazine, “We know for a fact that Glomar invocations have been used to conceal actual, ongoing activities, and we also know that they’re not passing out Glomars like candy.”

Protecting the right of individuals to join together in groups to influence government policy is at the very heart of the First Amendment. Therefore, the FBI subjecting such groups to surveillance can violate the constitutional rights of everyone involved with the groups.

The FBI has a long history of targeting Americans whose political beliefs and activities threaten the its power or the power of influential politicians. The then named Bureau of Investigation participated in the crackdown on people suspected of being communists in the post-World War I “Red Scare.” The anticommunist crackdown was headed by a young agent named J. Edgar Hoover, who went on to become FBI director, a position he held until his death. Hoover kept and expanded his power by using the FBI to collect blackmail material on people, including politicians.

In the 1930s and 1940s, the FBI spied on supporters of the America First movement, including several Congress members. Two of the most famous examples of the FBI targeting individuals based on their political activities are the harassment of Martin Luther King Jr. and the COINTELPRO program. COINTELPRO was an organized effort to spy on and actively disrupt “subversive” organizations, including antiwar groups

COINTELPRO officially ended in the 1970s. However, the FBI still targets individuals and organizations it considers “subversive,” including antiwar groups and citizen militias.

Congress must hold hearings to determine if the FBI is currently using unconstitutional methods to “monitor” any organizations based on their beliefs. Congress must then take whatever steps necessary to ensure that no Americans are ever again targeted for surveillance because of their political beliefs and activities.
    http://www.ronpaulinstitute.org/arch...is-fbi-spying/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    However large you may think it, triple it and you still won't be anywhere close to the true proportion.

If Theye CAN, they WILL. It is in human nature to do so.
    Last edited by osan; 01-24-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

"Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

Pray for reset.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    However large you may think it, triple it and you still won't be anywhere close to the true proportion.

If Theye CAN, they WILL. It is in human nature to do so.
    It makes me laugh to see Republican Congressmen like Nunes complain about the PATRIOT Act when its used by Adam Schiff to spy on him when he voted for it and ignored Ron Paul's warnings. Will they now recant and admit that Ron was right?

Very expensive.
    Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer

Ⅎ˥ƎSWIH ˥˥I⋊ ⊥,NᗡIᗡ N
    IƎ⊥SԀƎ

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    It makes me laugh to see Republican Congressmen like Nunes complain about the PATRIOT Act when its used by Adam Schiff to spy on him when he voted for it and ignored Ron Paul's warnings. Will they now recant and admit that Ron was right?
    No way of knowing, but likely it is that they will not, ego being what it tends in the human animal, particularly the political animal which is most often deeply narcissistic. Narcissists never admit to being wrong about anything precisely due to their very large, yet fragile and weak egos. Penultimate train wrecks of pure dysfunction they are.

Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

"Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

Pray for reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Very expensive.
    That too.

If you think on it beyond the superficialities, all this spying turns out to be such a sad waste of time and effort... that is, unless you regard your own people as the enemy.

That said, what sad lives they must all lead, that they devote them to this brand of crummy voyeurism. I mean $#@!, if I'm going to play Peeping Tom, I'm gonna be looking through the bedroom window of my neighbor's heart-breakingly hot sixteen year old daughter, and not some overweight snowflake as he weakly masturbates, alone, in mom's basement.

Dufuque...

Pray for reset.