Thread: Tulsi Gabbard suing Clinton for defamation over 'Russian asset' comments

Exclamation Tulsi Gabbard suing Clinton for defamation over 'Russian asset' comments

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) is suing Hillary Clinton for defamation over the former secretary of state's remarks on a podcast characterizing the Democratic presidential candidate as a Russian asset.

Gabbard filed the defamation lawsuit Wednesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

Gabbard’s lawyers allege that Clinton’s comments have “smeared” Gabbard’s “political and personal reputation.”

“Tulsi Gabbard is a loyal American civil servant who has also dedicated her life to protecting the safety of all Americans,” Gabbard’s lawyer Brian Dunne said in a statement.

“Rep. Gabbard’s presidential campaign continues to gain momentum, but she has seen her political and personal reputation smeared and her candidacy intentionally damaged by Clinton’s malicious and demonstrably false remarks.”

Gabbard’s campaign referred all questions on the lawsuit to Dunne.

A spokesperson for Clinton was not immediately available for comment.

In a podcast released in October, Clinton said she thought Republicans were "grooming" a Democratic presidential candidate for a third-party bid. She also described the candidate as a favorite of the Russians.

Clinton did not name the candidate but it was clear she was speaking about Gabbard.

"They're also going to do third party. I'm not making any predictions, but I think they've got their eye on somebody who's currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate," Clinton said.

"She's the favorite of the Russians, they have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far, and that's assuming Jill Stein will give it up, which she might not, because she's also a Russian asset. Yeah, she's a Russian asset, I mean totally. They know they can't win without a third party candidate," Clinton said.

Stein was the Green Party candidate in the 2016 presidential election. Stein said the idea she is a Russian asset is an unhinged conspiracy theory in an op-ed for the Guardian.

The lawsuit claims that Clinton is a “cutthroat politician” and “sought retribution” for Gabbard endorsing Clinton’s 2016 primary opponent Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.). Gabbard is now facing Sanders in the crowded 2020 primary.

“Clinton’s false assertions were made in a deliberate attempt to derail Tulsi’s presidential campaign,” it says.

Gabbard’s lawyers claim Clinton’s “peddling of this theory” has harmed Gabbard, voters and “American democracy.”

“Tulsi brings this lawsuit to ensure that the truth prevails and to ensure this country’s political elites are held accountable for intentionally trying to distort the truth in the midst of a critical Presidential election,” the lawsuit says.

Gabbard is a long-shot candidate for the party nomination.

She’s become a target for criticism from both Democrats and Republicans for her policy views, drawing scrutiny over American military involvement in Syria and over her reluctance to criticize Syrian President Bashar Assad even in the face of suspected war crimes against humanity. She met with Assad during a trip to Syria in 2017.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...asset-comments

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hope she wins that lawsuit.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

DISMISSED
    WITH
    PREJUDICE

-love hillary
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Tulsi better watch her back. The Clinton's have a body count that keeps climbing.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Hope she wins that lawsuit.
    Same. It's tough going after the Clintons, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Chip in for her lawyer's fees?
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Would it be a fair assessment to say that the Clintons are organizing Gabbards suicide?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope, "Tulsi didn't kill herself," doesn't become a meme some day.

I don't agree with a lot of her policies, but that lady has integrity and a set of cajones that most men lack.

Editorial from the conservative Washington Examiner: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...-make-a-splash

Tulsi Gabbard’s anti-media, anti-Clinton red meat is her last-ditch effort to make a splash

Tulsi Gabbard’s 2020 Democratic primary campaign always stood little chance of survival.

Her placement in the polls has been chronically low, she has failed to make major televised debates, and her fundraising numbers have been meager at best.

Gabbard has only a few days left to make an impression on voters before the all-important Iowa caucuses, which is why she is taking aim this week at two low-risk, high-return targets: the news media and failed two-time presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. If you have only a little time left to endear yourself to voters, you may as well do it by attacking universally disliked entities.

On Tuesday, for example, the congresswoman went off on Clinton after the former secretary of state claimed “no one” likes Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

“It’s time to grow up. This isn’t high school,” Gabbard said. “We’re talking about real challenges that our country needs to address and the need for real leadership to focus on them, not on what’s going on in Washington and the schoolyard cliques or whatever else it may be.”

Gabbard’s campaign tweeted later, “I like Bernie.”
    Lastly, there is the defamation lawsuit Gabbard filed Wednesday against Clinton. As I wrote earlier, the lawsuit has little chance of winning in court. It will, however, win Gabbard plenty of buzz and attention. Like her most recent attacks on Clinton and the press, that is likely the entire point.

Democrats have no class .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Editorial from the conservative Washington Examiner: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...-make-a-splash
    You would agree that access to the courts to solve disputes of a civil nature is an important aspect of a properly functioning polity?

So, you are (substituting, as you do, an excerpt of an article for your own thought) saying that Gabbard has brought this suit, not because she feels being accused of treason without evidence is in fact a libel, but because she is desperate the remain relevant?

Are you a psychic? Do you have access to Gabbard's internal motivations? Do the articles that you post, apparently sufficient to have convinced you to subordinate your own thinking faculty, have this ability?

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Would it be a fair assessment to say that the Clintons are organizing Gabbards suicide?
    Either that or a “terrorist attack” on her flight back over to Hawaii to see her constituents. Kinda a two birds one stone sort of thing... remove a thorn from the DNC while at the same time playing it up the red flag for the deep state. It would assure at least three more generations of endless fighting in the Middle East for military industrial complex.

Tulsi can't be all bad. She is the only Democrat that I have ever seen Zippy attack regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Tulsi can't be all bad. She is the only Democrat that I have ever seen Zippy attack regularly.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Timely bump
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Timely bump
    Very timely. I'm surprised they aren't dragging out Hillary's accusations to reinforce their own narrative.