Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: First case of China-linked coronavirus reported in US

China's desperate attempts to manipulate coronavirus "data" lower to ease public fears about a runaway pandemic and get more people back to work, are crossing into the outright laughable, if not surreal.
    As a reminder, earlier this week, China's Hubei province where the quarantined epicenter of the covid-19 epidemic, Wuhan, is located, once again changed the definition of a coronavirus "infection" in pursuit of a lower number of new cases by defining a case as "confirmed" if it stems from a positive result in a nucleic acid test, not if it was clinically diagnosed by physicians, a reversal of the definition change it adopted just a week earlier which resulted in the biggest daily increase yet, when nearly 15,000 new cases were reported. Sure enough, this led to a plunge in new cases, with Hubei reporting just 411 new cases on Thursday and 349 new cases on Friday, sharply lower from the 1,000+ cases reported on previous days.
    There is just one problem: at the same time as Hubei was priding itself in its sharp drop off in "confirmed" cases (carefully 'doctored' definition of new cases notwithstanding), a new breakout was been observed in the local Hubei prison system. And, problematically, for the brand new leadership of the Hubei Health Commission, it appeared that none of these cases were actually accounted for in the official province-level data.
    Oops.

So what does Hubei do? Well, late on Friday the province which has now lost all credibility in the "data" it is reporting, was forced to once again revise the data, higher of course, to account for the "missing" prison cases.
    Specifically, per a press release late on Friday, Hubei did the following:

• It revised the number of new "confirmed" cases on Thursday upward to 631 from 411 after including 220 cases in the local prison system (source).
    • It revised the number of new "confirmed" cases on Wednesday upward to 775 from 349, after accounting for the previously unaccounted for cases in the local prison system (source)

And visually:

Then, just to make sure the confusion is complete, Hubei also said that in addition to prison cases that had been previously unaccounted for, the provincial health system said some cities of the province "had deducted from their Feb. 19 count the number of previously confirmed cases per the nation’s revised guidelines published Feb. 18; their wrong method was discovered Feb. 20 and asked to stop."
    As a result of all these changes, the cumulative number of total cases rose from 62,442 reported initially to 62,662 initially, and then one day later, the revision was from 62,662 to 63,008 for Feb 20.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/health/chi...ercounting-new
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    A week later, and US cases are up to 35.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Italy’s novel coronavirus cases rise to 17 as cluster emerges

CODOGNO, Italy (AP) — The number of people in Italy infected with the new virus from China more than quadrupled Friday due to an emerging cluster of cases in the country’s north that prompted officials to order schools, restaurants and businesses to close.

Many of the 14 new cases represented the first infections in Italy acquired through secondary contagion and brought the country’s total to 17. The cluster was located in a handful of tiny towns southeast of Milan in the Lombardy region, said Lombardy regional health chief Giulio Gallera.

“This was foreseeable even if we hoped it wouldn’t have happened,” Gallera said.

The first to fall ill was a 38-year-old Italian who met with someone who had returned from China on Jan. 21 without presenting any symptoms of the new virus, health authorities said. That person was being kept in isolation and appears to present antibodies to the virus.

The 38-year-old is now hospitalized in critical condition. His wife and a friend of his, who was a member of his running club, also tested positive for the virus. Three patients at the hospital in Codogno where he went with flu-like symptoms on Feb. 18 also have infections, as do five nurses and doctors.

In addition, another three elderly people, who frequented the same cafe as the runner’s father, also tested positive Friday, Gallera said.

Tests were under way, meanwhile, on the 38-year-old’s doctor, who made a house call on him, as well as on 120 people he worked with in the research and development branch of Unilever in Casalpusterlengo, Gallera said.
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...luster-emerges
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Most of the increase came from that cruise ship the evacuated.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A key Chinese respiratory disease expert said that some discharged coronavirus patients could still carry the virus and be infectious, potentially posing another complication to Beijing’s efforts to control the epidemic.
    Zhao Jianping, the head of the coronavirus containment team in worst-affected Hubei province, said a minority of patients who were discharged from hospital after tests showed they were negative for the virus later tested positive again. China counts patients whose throat or nose swabs show up positive for the virus in a nucleic acid test, and those whose CT scans show lesions in their lungs, as infected cases. The criteria for deciding if a patient has recovered varies between provinces, but in general Chinese hospitals require people to test negative twice in a row, and to show no obvious symptoms such as a fever. Patients who are released are supposed to check in with their hospital and can face retesting—which is when some tested positive again.
    “That means during the period when a patient deemed recovered leaves the hospital and goes back home, they could infect the people they are in touch with,” Zhao told Beijing News (link in Chinese, Feb. 18). “As this kind of situation exists, we encourage recovered patients to also be put on quarantine for 14 days,” he said. One possible reason for the later positive results could be due to the varying quality of testing kits, he said, meaning the patients were not actually fully recovered at the time of release.
    In an interview (link in Chinese) with Southern People Weekly yesterday (Feb. 20), Zhao said he considered this a “highly dangerous” situation: “Where could you put such patients? They could infect others being at home, but they would also occupy the stretched resources at hospitals if they are there.”

More at: https://qz.com/1806050/chinese-coron...be-infectious/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Amid a scramble to control the spread of COVID-19, Chinese authorities believe, based on samples and tests, that at least 135 wild animals were poisoned by disinfectants being used to curb the illness, United Press International said based on reports from China's state-owned news agency Xinhua.
    The mass die-off was reported in the megacity of Chongqing, in southwest China, which, in 2016, was home to over 30 million people. At least 17 species of animals, including wild boar, weasels, and blackbirds, have been affected, according to the Chongqing Forestry Bureau.
    Tests have shown that the animals didn't die of any diseases such as coronavirus or bird flu, UPI said. They will be buried in disinfected sites.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/more-100-wild...194218747.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A 70-year-old man in China's Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus' incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days.A longer incubation period could complicate efforts to contain spread of the epidemic that has so far killed more than 2,000 people and spread outside China.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-i...054201025.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

the asymptomatic may be more infectious?:
    Two key points: ��“Not only was viral load similar in an asymptomatic patient versus those with symptoms, but ��it was higher in the nose than in the throat, reported Jie Wu, PhD, of Guangdong Provincial Center for Disease Control”. #SARSCoV2 #COVID19 https://t.co/4FxbV8Tsuf
    — Eric Feigl-Ding (@DrEricDing) February 21, 2020

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In one of many shocking videos circulating on Twitter, a recent clip of a doctor in Hunan that was widely shared by credible journalists covering the outbreak has caught our attention because it supports our theory - which has become increasingly widely adopted among the western press - that Chinese health officials are seriously undercounting the number of cases and deaths.
    惊恐:湖南中医药大学第二附属医院的这位医生一天确诊50个冠状病毒患者,累到浑身湿透,没力 气说话…… pic.twitter.com/kMh2Wl2Zl2
    — 实话实说 (@jMcSVGx9oRuiEir) February 22, 2020
    As the Washington Post wrote in a piece published earlier this week: "Chinese leaders and state media strike a coordinated note this week about the government’s ability to contain the outbreak, inconsistencies and sudden changes in official data are leaving experts — and journalists — struggling to plot meaningful trends, or even place any confidence in the figures coming from government."

The WaPo reporters pointed to a clear case of manipulation where the authorities suppressed the true number of cases.
    Authorities in Hubei province reported good news Thursday: There were only 349 new coronavirus cases the previous day, the lowest tally in weeks.
    The bad - and puzzling - news? Wuhan, the capital of Hubei, reported 615 new cases all by itself.
    Hubei authorities have changed their criteria for counting cases three times over the past week or so.
    Hubei officials explained that they deducted cases that have not been confirmed through genetic tests from their total reported number of cases. Since this mistake was very, very public, we also reported on it.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...cases-only-one

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Just wondering what if 5G are behind the reasons for the illness? just a another theory. Because Western polticans seem to be in a heavy rush to roll out the 5Gs without any concerns for health nor safety of the public or any potential expose to radiation or hazards..

Central China province launches commercial 5G applications
    Wuhan City, the capital of Hubei, is expected to have 10,000 5G base stations by the end of 2019, said Song Qizhu, head of Hubei Provincial Communication Administration.

China Telecom has established a 5G network covering airports, railway stations and other areas in the city, which will also help boost the digital and intelligent transformation of the industries with 5G technologies, said Li Hongbo, general manager of the company's Hubei branch.
    Here is the western news media trying to defend 5gs by claiming it has no connections. Yet this viurs now appeared in northern Italy without any of their citizens visiting China! i wont be surprised to find if Milian or surrounding areas installed 5Gs in their towns without the people noticing those towers in their communities.

The Wuhan coronavirus has nothing to do with 5G
    Last edited by AngryCanadian; 02-24-2020 at 03:02 AM.

Iran:

A staggering 50 people died in the Iranian city of Qom from the new coronavirus in the month of February, Iran's semiofficial ILNA news agency reported on Monday. The new death toll is significantly higher than the latest number of confirmed cases that Iranian officials had reported just a few hours earlier, which stood at just 12 deaths out of 47 cases, according to state TV.
    Italy:

Italy is considered the site of Europe's first major outbreak and the largest outside of Asia. The number of infected cases jumped to 152, compared to just three 10 days ago.
    South Korea:

Siegel told anchor Ed Henry that it's even "more concerning" to hear there are more than 800 cases reported in South Korea.

"I've been saying that it's all about health care infrastructure, that China doesn't have it, we have it, other Western countries have it. Well, guess what, South Korea has a fantastic health care system. They tested over 20,000 people and ended up with over 800 positive cases. That's showing that this is a highly contagious virus that is spreading despite the best efforts of top health systems to contain it," he said.

South Korea President Moon Jae-in raised the threat level to "red alert," its highest national threat level for the first time in a decade.
    More: https://www.foxnews.com/media/corona...gel-concerning

Three days later, US cases up to 53...

I feel fine.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I feel fine.
    You're probably a carrier.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So much for having the coronavirus outbreak under control. While Xi Jinping’s government insists that they have turned the corner on the rapid spread of the disease, their actions tell another story. For the first time since the Cultural Revolution, the Communist Party-controlled parliament will postpone its regular March session — a major blow for state propaganda efforts in more ways than one:

China has postponed its most important political gathering as the country struggles to contain a deadly coronavirus outbreak that has spread to more than two dozen other nations.
    China’s top legislature approved a draft decision on Monday to delay the annual parliament session set to take place in Beijing in March. A new date will be decided at a later time, according to state media outlet CGTN, which is owned by CCTV, the national media organization of China.
    It’s the first time in decades that the assembly has been postponed, since the Cultural Revolution.

Like his predecessors, Xi uses this parliament to promote his communist propaganda as well as his cult of personality. This session would have done more than that, however — it would have sent a message of continuity, normality, and progress against the coronavirus outbreak that official party statements have claimed. Its sudden cancelation will raise even more questions about just how bad it really is, and how little truth Xi and Beijing are telling.
    That impression will only get worse in Wuhan, where a previously announced rollback of quarantine measures got abruptly reversed:
    On Monday, a city government statement on Weibo said that non-residents would now be able to travel out of Wuhan as long as they are healthy and not quarantined. It was the first move to ease a lockdown over the 60 million Hubei population that’s been in place for a month, and seen as a sign that China believed that the outbreak is until control.
    But hours later, the statement was deleted off Weibo as well as state media sites without explanation. Shortly after, a new statement was issued on the city government’s Weibo account saying that the earlier announcement was “unauthorized” and that there would be no change to the quarantine. …
    The abrupt about-turn within a matter of hours added to the confusion emanating from the devastated city of 11 million which has been sealed off since Jan. 23.
    Hubei province — where Wuhan is located — has also adjusted its official count of infected people multiple times in recent weeks, fueling mistrust of the official narrative emerging from the epicenter of an outbreak that has infected almost 80,000 people and killed over 2,600.
    This could be the single most destabilizing event China has experienced since Mao came to power. No one’s talking about Hong Kong protesters any more, but about the government’s inability to deal with its pandemic. Dictatorships like the Communist Party’s in China only work if the public is convinced that it’s so omnipotent that it cannot be challenged. If over a billion people become convinced that Xi and his clique are fallible — especially in such important matters — that could trigger a meltdown that would have its own global implications.

More at: https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morri...y-south-korea/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Long planned economic reset is underway. Act accordingly.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From WaPo updates page here, a short blurb:“According to Italian media reports, one of the first people to come down with the virus was a 38-year-old who’d had dinner with somebody who had just come back from China. But some three weeks passed between that dinner and the time the man came down with a fever. In between, he ran a half-marathon, played soccer and traveled to several towns, according to La Repubblica, a major Italian daily.”

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    From WaPo updates page here, a short blurb:“According to Italian media reports, one of the first people to come down with the virus was a 38-year-old who’d had dinner with somebody who had just come back from China. But some three weeks passed between that dinner and the time the man came down with a fever. In between, he ran a half-marathon, played soccer and traveled to several towns, according to La Repubblica, a major Italian daily.”
    I'm no Columbo, but shouldn't the Italian authorities promptly find the person who returned from China and dined with the infected person?
    Last edited by sparebulb; 02-24-2020 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    I'm no Columbo, but shouldn't the Italian authorities promptly find the person who returned from China and dined with the infected person?
    I'm sure they have or will.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

— Max Howroute▫️ (@howroute) February 23, 2020
    #MilesGuo
    How many dying everyday in #Wuhan #Coronavirus?
    40 portable incinerators X 30 corpses/incinerator/day
    = 1,200 corpses/day
    In addition to 47 crematories running in full capacity
    Another 1MM incinerators on the way!
    Do you still trust CCP’s numbers? pic.twitter.com/tn51nzfNZj
    — Himalaya Global (@HimalayaGlobal) February 23, 2020

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So what do we actually know at this point? We can safely assume the following now:

- it’s airborne.
    - it can be asymptomatic for some time.
    - it’s highly contagious.

Sorry kids, that’s game over as far as containment goes. It will be a global pandemic, just a matter of time.

Will summer slow it down? Maybe. Colds and flus are generally slowed down in summer.

So what do we actually know at this point? We can safely assume the following now:

- it’s airborne.

Sorry kids, that’s game over as far as containment goes. It will be a global pandemic, just a matter of time.

Will summer slow it down? Maybe. Colds and flus are generally slowed down in summer.
    Summer and the racial difference in susceptibility are our best hopes.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I wonder if it will be widespread in a certain middle eastern country.

I wonder if it will be widespread in a certain middle eastern country.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Summer and the racial difference in susceptibility are our best hopes.
    We shall see i dont think this virus is a global pandemic just yet, if it was airborne then they would be spraying it everywhere chemtrails?
    this could look like a food thing in China that happened ya know? i did hear they a number of weird stuff in China. So never know and also i heard this virus could 5G related so we dont know everything what we have is nothing speculation.

I still don’t think they found patient zero in Italy.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    I still don’t think they found patient zero in Italy.
    Correct. They thought they did. Then again, I've read the tests aren't fully reliable.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Correct. They thought they did. Then again, I've read the tests aren't fully reliable.
    I know the tests the CDC believed were reliable were showing inconclusive results as part of its trial period, and they had already been sent to numerous states.

There are also cases of nCoV where people have remained completely asymptomatic - rare, but still. There is a patient in China who had a presumed 19-day incubation period and remained asymptomatic. Even chest CT images showed nothing abnormal. Finally she tested positive with her SECOND RT-PCR test (even the first of this was negative) from a nasopharyngeal swab.

Then you have cases of reinfection, too.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus
    Most cases are not life-threatening, which is also what makes the virus a historic challenge to contain.
    By James Hamblin - February 24, 2020

It was H5N1, or “avian flu,” discovered two decades prior, but known only to infect birds.

By then, it was August. Scientists sent distress signals around the world. The Chinese government swiftly killed 1.5 million chickens (over the protests of chicken farmers). Further cases were closely monitored and isolated. By the end of the year there were 18 known cases in humans. Six people died.

This was seen as a successful global response, and the virus was not seen again for years. In part, containment was possible because the disease was so severe: Those who got it became manifestly, extremely ill. H5N1 has a fatality rate of around 60 percent—if you get it, you’re likely to die. Yet since 2003, the virus has killed only 455 people. The much “milder” flu viruses, by contrast, kill fewer than 0.1 percent of people they infect, on average, but are responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths every year.

Severe illness caused by viruses such as H5N1 also means that infected people can be identified and isolated, or that they died quickly. They do not walk around feeling just a little under the weather, seeding the virus. The new coronavirus (known technically as SARS-CoV-2) that has been spreading around the world can cause a respiratory illness that can be severe. The disease (known as COVID-19) seems to have a fatality rate of less than 2 percent—exponentially lower than most outbreaks that make global news. The virus has raised alarm not despite that low fatality rate, but because of it.

Coronaviruses are similar to influenza viruses in that they are both single strands of RNA. Four coronaviruses commonly infect humans, causing colds. These are believed to have evolved in humans to maximize their own spread—which means sickening, but not killing, people. By contrast, the two prior novel coronavirus outbreaks—SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome, named for where the first outbreak occurred)—were picked up from animals, as was H5N1. These diseases were highly fatal to humans. If there were mild or asymptomatic cases, they were extremely few. Had there been more of them, the disease would have spread widely. Ultimately, SARS and MERS each killed fewer than 1,000 people.

COVID-19 is already reported to have killed more than twice that number. With its potent mix of characteristics, this virus is unlike most that capture popular attention: It is deadly, but not too deadly. It makes people sick, but not in predictable, uniquely identifiable ways. Last week, 14 Americans tested positive on a cruise ship in Japan despite feeling fine—the new virus may be most dangerous because, it seems, it may sometimes cause no symptoms at all.
    Much more: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/607000/

- it’s airborne.

Lol. CDC must be reading my posts...

————

No longer a matter of if coronavirus will spread in the U.S., but when, CDC says
    In the U.S. and many other nations, public health officials are turning to guidelines written for pandemic flu

China’s massive travel restrictions, house-to-house checks, huge isolation wards and lockdowns of entire cities bought the world valuable time to prepare for the global spread of the new virus.

But with troubling outbreaks now emerging in Italy, South Korea and Iran, and U.S. health officials warning Tuesday it’s inevitable it will spread more widely in America, the question is: Did the world use that time wisely and is it ready for a potential pandemic?

“It’s not so much a question of if this will happen anymore, but rather more a question of exactly when this will happen — and how many people in this country will have severe illness,” said Dr. Nancy Messonnier of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast