Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On National Religious Freedom Day, Trump Expands Religious Freedom

On National Religious Freedom Day, Trump Expands Religious Freedom

President Trump chose Thursday — National Religious Freedom Day — to announce a flurry of guidance from nine Executive Branch agencies that not only confirms Americans’ freedom to worship under the First Amendment but rolls back incursions on that freedom that occurred under previous administrations.
    The guidance empowered students who want to pray at school by reaffirming their right to do so, including reading religious materials or praying during non-class periods, organizing prayer groups, and expressing their religious beliefs in their school assignments. It warned state governments not to discriminate against religious organizations and affirmed that the granting of federal funds by Executive Branch agencies likewise will not discriminate against them.
    The president said:
    From its opening pages, the story of America has been rooted in the truth that all men and women are endowed with the right to follow their conscience, worship freely, and live in accordance with their convictions….
    In public schools around the country authorities are stopping students and teachers from praying, sharing their faith or following their religious beliefs. It is totally unacceptable.
    Tragically, there’s a growing totalitarian impulse on the far left that seeks to punish, restrict and even prohibit religious expression….
    While I’m president … we will not let anyone push God from the public square. We will uphold religious liberty for all.
    His Education Department’s secretary, Betsy DeVos, expanded on the guidance: “Our actions today will protect the constitutional rights of students, teachers and faith-based institutions. [My] department’s efforts will level the playing field between religious and nonreligious organizations competing for federal grants, as well as protect First Amendment freedoms on campus and the religious liberty of faith-based institutions.”

Kelly Shackelford, president of the legal nonprofit First Liberty Institute, applauded the guidance: “The religious freedom of America’s public school students and teachers does not stop at the schoolhouse gate. Today’s guidelines affirm that promise.” Shackelford added: “We are also grateful to the President for his actions today protecting the rights of Americans by ending religious discrimination by state and federal agencies.”
    Heritage Foundation President Kay C. James celebrated the annoucement: “Today’s announcement is a welcome response to a serious national problem. For too long Americans have faced restrictions on their ability to live according to their religious beliefs. Government policies have infringed on the freedom of students, social service providers and other religious organizations to act according to their beliefs in the public square.”
    In the guidance on prayer and religious expression in public schools, the relationship between religion and government was explained:
    [That] relationship … is governed by the First Amendment to the Constitution, which the Supreme Court has held both prevents the government from establishing religion and protects privately initiated religious expression and activities from government interference and discrimination….
    The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the First Amendment requires public school officials to show neither favoritism nor hostility against religious expression such as prayer.… As the Court has explained in several cases, “there is a crucial difference between government speech endorsing religion, which the Establishment Clause forbids, and private speech endorsing religion, which the Free Speech and Free Exercise Clauses protect.”
    An Obama-era intrusion was rolled back. The rule regarding the equal treatment of faith-based educational organizations ensures that they are now treated equally with non-religious groups, “removing unequal, burdensome regulatory requirements imposed by the Obama administration,” according to the department’s press release.

More at: https://www.thenewamerican.com/cultu...igious-freedom
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The lefties are going to foam at the mouth over this. Get the popcorn out.
    "The Patriarch"

Does this include Muslims or just Christians? Can they now pray in school too?

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    You called it:

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Obama religious guidelines were actually copied from the Bush administration:

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/17/210702...nt-impeachment

Though those comments suggest otherwise, the actual text of the guidance is fairly boilerplate and explicitly says “Teachers and other public school officials ... may not lead their classes in prayer, devotional readings from the Bible, or other religious activities, nor may school officials use their authority to attempt to persuade or compel students to participate in prayer or other religious activities.” A statement from the American Civil Liberties Union characterized it as “nearly identical to the existing guidance issued in 2003 by then-President George W. Bush.”

The Obama religious guidelines were actually copied from the Bush administration:

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/17/210702...nt-impeachment
    Which means nothing good.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The guidance empowered students who want to pray at school by reaffirming their right to do so, including reading religious materials or praying during non-class periods, organizing prayer groups, and expressing their religious beliefs in their school assignments.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    National Popcorn Day is tomorrow.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Both. It includes all religions.
    #NashvilleStrong

I love the smell of MAGA in the morning.

It smells like.... Victory.
    Last edited by SummersEve; 01-18-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Wow imagine that, the President is rolling back unconstitutional restrictions.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

This article describes the meeting the president had with students and teachers who have been prevented from exercising their faith in school.
    #NashvilleStrong

Trump University

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Trump has done more to support diversity ( racial, religious, gender, lifestyle) than all Presidents combined in entire US history, with exception of his hero Abraham Lincoln perhaps.

a day ago
    Trump Reinforces Protections For Student Prayer In Schools : NPR

(Granted he played some cards like race/religion/2nd amenment cards to win election but has made impressive reversals in governance. Unless some extreme Christians, Muslims or other religions folks opposed gay marriage /LGBTQ civil rights making it a political issue again like Bush-Christians of 2004, Trump will likely remain strong champion of religious freedoms and diversity is our strength model).

Related

Flashback: Tennessee Schoolchildren performing prayer

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    This article describes the meeting the president had with students and teachers who have been prevented from exercising their faith in school.
    The real answer is to get the Fed Gov out of public school.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post

Flashback: Tennessee Schoolchildren performing prayer
    School children being FORCED to indulge in state mandated diversity.

Big difference.

Poor attempt at misdirection.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    100%
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Trump University

You just can't admit he does anything good so you try to change the subject.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The real answer is to get rid of public schools.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The real answer is to get rid of public schools.
    NO.

Get the gov out & then schools will be totally local. People can then choose to go or not.
    There is no spoon.

NO.

Get the gov out & then schools will be totally local. People can then choose to go or not.
    If you get the government out (all levels of government) then they won't be public schools anymore.
    The answer is to get ALL levels of government out of the schools.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If you get the government out (all levels of government) then they won't be public schools anymore.
    The answer is to get ALL levels of government out of the schools.
    Same thing.
    There is no spoon.

Same thing.
    Your first post said to get the feds out of the public schools, that's not the same thing.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others."
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others."
    Which has nothing to do with protecting the right of others to pray.

But you have to find some way to portray any good thing Trump does as bad.

This thread is turning into a great TDS detector.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Democrats must be absolutely pissed about this.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Democrats must be absolutely pissed about this.
    They are, you can read their posts in this thread.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This thread is turning into a great TDS detector.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    You are the one trying to whine your way to victory.

It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast