Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iran disqualifies thousands from running for parliament

Iran disqualifies thousands from running for parliament

Iran’s constitutional watchdog has barred thousands of people from running in next month's parliamentary elections, including 90 current lawmakers, most of whom are accused of corruption. The Guardian Council, a body of senior clerics and legal experts, vets candidates for office as well as legislation, and rules out individuals if it believes their views or behavior are incompatible with the theocratic system. Half its members are appointed by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
    A spokesman for the Guardian Council was quoted by the hard-line Kayhan paper as saying most of the lawmakers were rejected for “financial problems,” a reference to fraud and embezzlement.

The spokesman, Abbas Ali Kadkhodaei, said more than 14,000 people registered to run in December. Of those, just 5,000 qualified, he said. Of the 290 current members of parliament, 247 registered to run for re-election.

Kadkhodaei said those who were rejected can appeal the decision in the coming days.
    The reformist newspaper Etemad said Tuesday that most of those rejected were reformist and moderate candidates. It said that as a result the elections will essentially be an “internal vote” among hard-liners. Hard-liners were also disqualified, but it's not clear how many.

More at: https://www.sfgate.com/news/world/ar...r-14973145.php
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The reformist newspaper Etemad said Tuesday that most of those rejected were reformist and moderate candidates. It said that as a result the elections will essentially be an “internal vote” among hard-liners.
    Hard-liners were also disqualified, but it's not clear how many.
    Well, that certainly make a clear case, of nothing.

And I don't really care, we have enough problems to worry about right here.
    "The Patriarch"

Iran's president Wednesday slammed the disqualification of thousands of people, including 90 current lawmakers, from running in upcoming parliamentary elections.Although hard-liners were among those disqualified by the powerful Guardian Council, most of those rejected were reformist and moderate candidates, according to Tehran's reformist newspaper Etemad.
    President Hassan Rouhani appeared to confirm this in his stinging critique of the council, which barred more than 9,000 from the over 14,000 people who had registered to run. Among them are 90 sitting lawmakers out of some 247 who registered to run for re-election.
    Rouhani said it is not possible to run the country with just one faction in power.
    “Do not tell the people that for every seat in parliament, there are 17, 170 or 1,700 candidates running in the election,” he said in a televised speech to the Cabinet. “Seventeen-hundred candidates from how many factions? Seventeen candidates from how many parties? From one party? This is not an election.”
    He compared it to a store placing 1,000 copies of the same item on its shelves and telling customers they have a diverse selection to pick from.
    “People need diversity,” Rouhani said.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-pres...125125363.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Well, that certainly make a clear case, of nothing.

And I don't really care, we have enough problems to worry about right here.
    The important thing is that Iran is demonized so that whatever shock and awe might occur appears justified.

Go eat some freedom fries you terrist you.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The important thing is that Iran is demonized so that whatever shock and awe might occur appears justified.

Rouhani is demonizing Iran to justify a US attack?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Rouhani is demonizing Iran to justify a US attack?
    It's not Rouhani's propaganda that concerns me.

i have a stomach ache.
    "The Patriarch"

It's not Rouhani's propaganda that concerns me.
    Since he is complaining it isn't likely to be US propaganda.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i have a stomach ache.
    Imagine how the Iranians feel.

Iran's president Wednesday slammed the disqualification of thousands of people, including 90 current lawmakers, from running in upcoming parliamentary elections.Although hard-liners were among those disqualified by the powerful Guardian Council, most of those rejected were reformist and moderate candidates, according to Tehran's reformist newspaper Etemad.
    President Hassan Rouhani appeared to confirm this in his stinging critique of the council, which barred more than 9,000 from the over 14,000 people who had registered to run. Among them are 90 sitting lawmakers out of some 247 who registered to run for re-election.
    Rouhani said it is not possible to run the country with just one faction in power.
    “Do not tell the people that for every seat in parliament, there are 17, 170 or 1,700 candidates running in the election,” he said in a televised speech to the Cabinet. “Seventeen-hundred candidates from how many factions? Seventeen candidates from how many parties? From one party? This is not an election.”
    He compared it to a store placing 1,000 copies of the same item on its shelves and telling customers they have a diverse selection to pick from.
    “People need diversity,” Rouhani said.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-pres...125125363.html
    And I should care because......?
    "The Patriarch"

Foreign entanglements with NONE... General Washington.

They will welcome us as liberators!

Since he is complaining it isn't likely to be US propaganda.
    Do you speak Farsi?

I don't, but I know that our sources for this (British, usually) are highly questionable.

In order to avoid spreading anti-Iranian propaganda (Green, CIA revolution failed, whoops) one should be a bit careful.

English language coverage of Iran is Belgian babies on bayonets, c. 1914, type nonsense.

That got the US in one war unnecessarily; let's not make the same mistake again.

Do you speak Farsi?

I don't, but I know that our sources for this (British, usually) are highly questionable.

In order to avoid spreading anti-Iranian propaganda (Green, CIA revolution failed, whoops) one should be a bit careful.

English language coverage of Iran is Belgian babies on bayonets, c. 1914, type nonsense.

That got the US in one war unnecessarily; let's not make the same mistake again.
    One war?
    "The Patriarch"

One war?
    Well, one really big one.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    They will welcome us as liberators!
    Lots of opportunities...

But I think that the Trump Tehran Grand Hotel & Golf Course will produce fewer profits post invasion than whoever manufacturers the artillery.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you speak Farsi?

PressTV is Iranian

PressTV is Iranian
    You're sure that it's Iranian?

I mean, there are lots of Iranian dissidents in the West from '79 (and I'm sympathetic), but this may not be a reliable news source.

I mean, there are lots of Iranian dissidents in the West from '79 (and I'm sympathetic), but this may not be a reliable news source.
    It's Iranian.

Press TV
    presstv.comPress TV is a 24-hour English- and French-language news and documentary network affiliated with Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting. Press TV is headquartered in Tehran. The service is aimed at the overseas market, similar to DD India, WION, BBC World News, DW, France 24, RT, and Sputnik.Wikipedia

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's Iranian.

Press TV
    presstv.comPress TV is a 24-hour English- and French-language news and documentary network affiliated with Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting. Press TV is headquartered in Tehran. The service is aimed at the overseas market, similar to DD India, WION, BBC World News, DW, France 24, RT, and Sputnik.Wikipedia
    Alright, fair enough

It's HQ is in Tehran

PressTV is Iranian
    Truth- but the OP link is not PressTV.
    There is no spoon.

It's HQ is in Tehran
    Well then I guess we can take PressTV as the official Iranian (PR) position. Nonetheless, I would caution people as to any other English language news (BBC, English tabloids, or any US publisher). The English have long manipulated American opinion through their control of English language coverage of anything that happens outside N. America. At the extreme, they cut the undersea cables between Germany and the US during the first world war, and then put paid pieces in the NYT. So, if one does not speak the local language (Farsi or otherwise), one should be a bit skeptical about what one's hearing.

...because it may be propaganda designed to bring about a certain view on foreign policy.

...just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Truth- but the OP link is not PressTV.
    But it is sourced to Etemad.

Etemad
    etemadnewspaper.irEtemad or Etemaad is a reformist newspaper in Iran that is published in Tehran. It is managed by Elias Hazrati, who was representative from Rasht and Tehran in the Parliament of Iran. Etemad translates to "trust" in Persian.Wikipedia

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well then I guess we can take PressTV as the official Iranian (PR) position. Nonetheless, I would caution people as to any other English language news (BBC, English tabloids, or any US publisher). The English have long manipulated American opinion through their control of English language coverage of anything that happens outside N. America. At the extreme, they cut the undersea cables between Germany and the US during the first world war, and then put paid pieces in the NYT. So, if one does not speak the local language (Farsi or otherwise), one should be a bit skeptical about what one's hearing.

...because it may be propaganda designed to bring about a certain view on foreign policy.

...just something to keep in mind.
    We've seen it happen. I can't recall the exact circumstances, but some Arabic was translated into something very aggressive, and of course by the time Glenn Greenwald or someone honest corrected it it was too late, because it was all over the internet.

We can't ever win against the war mongers playing defense. Their lies travel much faster than the truth.

We've seen it happen. I can't recall the exact circumstances, but some Arabic was translated into something very aggressive, and of course by the time Glenn Greenwald or someone honest corrected it it was too late, because it was all over the internet.

We can't ever win against the war mongers playing defense. Their lies travel much faster than the truth.
    One thing that we Americans actually could do, small as it sounds, is do better learning foreign languages; and I don't mean Farsi (no one's learning Farsi), but French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, etc. If one knew several of those languages one might have a better idea of the truth, or at least be able to rule out some of the more obvious bull$#@!, by way of comparing international news. We have this amazing geopolitical position whereby we have Canadians to the North, Mexicans to the South, fish to the West, and fish to the East, with this giant continent all to ourselves. But, one downside is that we all speak the same language and so we have little incentive to learn other languages. This doesn't normally matter, but sometimes it does.

One thing that we Americans actually could do, small as it sounds, is do better learning foreign languages; and I don't mean Farsi (no one's learning Farsi), but French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, etc.
    It's hard to retain if you don't use it. When I was young I could read and write Spanish, and was pretty sure I could speak it if I immersed myself. But not needing it for 20 years...when I went back to it it was too far gone.

It's hard to retain if you don't use it. When I was young I could read and write Spanish, and was pretty sure I could speak it if I immersed myself. But not needing it for 20 years...when I went back to it it was too far gone.
    ...because to immerse yourself you have to travel across an ocean, while a fellow in Paris can take a 3 hour train to Spain for a weekend.

Yep, that's the flip-side of our geographic luck here on this continent.

Anyway, I really think that foreign language instruction should be a much larger part of the average US curriculum.

The first and most important part (reading) doesn't even require a teacher: just some good books and time.

I'll just add, should anyone care, that the way to learn a language is the "natural method."

Memorizing declensions is all well and good, but the focus should be on graduated readers.

...assuming, of course, that you're not in a position to go to the place of the native speakers.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 01-16-2020 at 11:51 PM.

Iran's president warned Monday of threats to the Islamic republic's "democracy and national sovereignty", after a body dominated by his ultra-conservative rivals disqualified thousands of candidates, weeks before elections.President Hassan Rouhani's moderate conservatives and their reformist allies are locked in a public quarrel with the Guardian Council over the disqualification of thousands of candidates -- including 92 sitting MPs.
    The council, which oversees Iran's elections, says it has barred some 9,500 potential candidates from standing, almost two thirds of the 14,500 hopefuls.
    Rouhani, whose alliance fears losing its majority in the February 21 polls, said the disqualifications risked appointments being made "elsewhere" than the ballot box.

"The greatest danger for democracy and national sovereignty is the day when elections become a formality," the government's website quoted Rouhani as saying in a meeting with provincial governors.
    "May God never bring this day," he added.
    "Let us reassure the people and tell them our system is not a single-party system."
    In an apparent reference to ultra-conservatives, he said "they should at least let there be competition and participation".

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/irans-rouhani...103454842.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast