Thread: Trump approved Soleimani's killing last June: report

Trump approved Soleimani's killing last June: report

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...st-june-report

But after the assassination, he claimed it was an urgent decision based on a imminent threat. Nobody, even his Secretary of Defense, has seen any evidence to support that claim.

President Trump authorized the killing of Gen. Qassem Soleimani last summer if an American was killed as the result of increased Iranian aggression, NBC reported Monday, citing five current and former senior administration officials.

Officials told the network that then-national security adviser John Bolton urged Trump to retaliate for Iran downing a U.S. drone in June by approving an operation to kill Soleimani. The officials also said that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo backed the decision to kill Soleimani at the time.

Trump said that he would only take action if Iran killed an American, a person briefed on the discussion told NBC.

The report brings into question the Trump administration's justification for killing Soleimani in a drone strike earlier this month after an attack in which a U.S. contractor died. Administration officials have claimed that killing the top Iranian commander was necessary due to an imminent threat of attacks Soleimani was plotting.

Critics of the decision have questioned how imminent the attacks were. Democrats widely condemned the attack, and many members of Congress claimed the intelligence did not support the decision, based on information they were briefed on.

“There have been a number of options presented to the president over the course of time," a senior administration official told NBC. The official added that it was “some time ago” that presidential aides put killing Soleimani on the list of potential responses to Iranian aggression.

The idea of killing Soleimani came up in 2017 during conversations then-national security adviser H.R. McMaster was having with administration officials about Trump’s broader national security strategy, officials told NBC. The idea was reportedly one of possible elements of a “maximum pressure” campaign against Iran and “was not something that was thought of as a first move,” a former senior administration official involved in the discussions said.

It reportedly became a more serious idea under Bolton, who replaced McMaster in April 2018.

A spokesperson for the White House did not immediately respond for comment when contacted by The Hill Monday morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Officials told the network that then-national security adviser John Bolton urged Trump to retaliate for Iran downing a U.S. drone in June by approving an operation to kill Soleimani.
    It reportedly became a more serious idea under Bolton, who replaced McMaster in April 2018.
    Hmm...from two other threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Appease the neocons and teocons you mean. Graham, Rubio, Pence, Pompeo, Bolton, Hannity, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yes, the drunken monkey is hard to read at times.
    Why make the decision to kill Soleimani? Put it in personal terms.
    Now, many media pundits are bringing up the pending impeachment.
    But most personally relevant? Bolton had starting making derogatory remarks about Trump, hinting he would give negative testimony in an impeachment trial. Killing Soleimani is also a dream of Bolton. Would it bring Bolton back over to Trump’s side? Would that be a consideration?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.