Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Pentagon chief says he 'didn't see' intelligence that Iran planned to attack 4 US embassies

  1. #1

    Exclamation Pentagon chief says he 'didn't see' intelligence that Iran planned to attack 4 US embassies

    Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said on Sunday that he did not see intelligence that supported President Trump’s comments that the Iranian commander killed in a U.S. drone strike was plotting attacks against four U.S. embassies.

    Esper said on CBS's "Face the Nation" that he shared Trump’s view that planning was underway, but did not cite intelligence information he saw to support the claims.

    “What the president said was he believed there probably and could've been attacks against additional embassies, I shared that view, I know other members of the national security team shared that view, that’s why I deployed thousands of American paratroopers to the Middle East to reinforce our embassy in Baghdad and other sites throughout the region,” Esper said.

    He added that Trump did not cite a “specific piece of evidence.”

    “Are you saying there wasn't one?, CBS’s Margaret Brennan asked.

    “I didn't see one with regard to four embassies,” Esper responded. “What I’m saying is I share the presidents’ view.”

    Trump told Fox News in an interview that aired Friday that Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani was plotting against four U.S. embassies before he was targeted.

    Members of Congress have questioned whether the attack was imminent, as administration officials have said in defending their decision to carry out the strike in briefings before lawmakers.

    During an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union” Sunday, Esper similarly defended Trump’s comments and said he shared the president's view that Iran was planning attacks against multiple embassies.

    He did not, however, go so far as to confirm intelligence supported the claim.

    “I’m not going to discuss intelligence matters on the show,” Esper said.

    “The president did,” host Jake Tapper responded.

    Esper replied that that is the “president’s prerogative.”

    When asked if the president is “embellishing,” Esper said he doesn't believe so.

    “At the end of the day, Soleimani was planning an attack against multiple sites,” he said, including “at least” the embassy in Baghdad.”

    Esper added that “taking [Soleimani] off the battlefield..was the right thing to do.”
    https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-...mpression=true



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2

  4. #3
    It's getting harder and harder for the Trump team to spin psychotic.
    ClydeCoulter on the Liberty Movement:
    Yeah, they'll argue over roads and religion, but there are certain themes that bind, among those are freedom and the search for truth and justice.

    Loyalists gonna loyal.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    It's getting harder and harder for the Trump team to spin psychotic.
    Looks to me that Trump has been caught in a lie.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Looks to me that Trump has been caught in a lie.
    I don't think a day goes by where he doesn't lie. I've come to expect that.
    ClydeCoulter on the Liberty Movement:
    Yeah, they'll argue over roads and religion, but there are certain themes that bind, among those are freedom and the search for truth and justice.

    Loyalists gonna loyal.

  7. #6
    Trump has no moral compass, none, zip, zilch. ZERO.
    ClydeCoulter on the Liberty Movement:
    Yeah, they'll argue over roads and religion, but there are certain themes that bind, among those are freedom and the search for truth and justice.

    Loyalists gonna loyal.

  8. #7
    All Mr. Esper needs to do is check the posts on RonPaulForums.com
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

  9. #8
    2001 AUMF has been used to justify at least 37 U.S. military activities in fourteen countries, including detentions in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and training operations in the Philippines.


    Orange man bad...



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    2001 AUMF has been used to justify at least 37 U.S. military activities in fourteen countries, including detentions in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and training operations in the Philippines.


    Orange man bad...
    Rand opposed them all under Obama and now under Trump.

  12. #10

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    That's why we need more Rand Pauls in congress.
    You exposed yourself as a neocon. Enough.

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    You exposed yourself as a neocon. Enough.
    I'm thinking she?' is just a less obvious version of The Texan.
    "The Patriarch"

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'm thinking she?' is just a less obvious version of The Texan.
    The Texican has a much more pleasing swagger.
    I can guarantee with 100% certainty Ron Paul is in favor of whatever you want to call slave labor...... He is in favor of sweat shops (as are 100% of free market economists). Krugminator2

    "Every post is about Hillary and pedophilia. I love them both soooo much!!!!!!!" Zippyjuan

  16. #14
    Both Esper and O’Brien said that the intelligence was “exquisite”. Interesting word to use as today’s talking point. Do they mean that it was delicate and beautiful?

    White House national security adviser Robert O’Brien on Sunday defended the intelligence that prompted the U.S. killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani Sunday, calling it “exquisite.”

    “We had exquisite intelligence and the intelligence showed that they were looking at U.S. facilities throughout the region and that they wanted to inflict casualties on American soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, as well as diplomats,” O’Brien told NBC’s Chuck Todd on "Meet the Press."

    “The threat was imminent," he added. "I saw the intelligence.”
    ...
    More: https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-...eimani-killing
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    I don't think a day goes by where he doesn't lie. I've come to expect that.
    's
    This +1000. He rattles off whatever he thinks will persuade people without even a single thought about what's true. He's always done that, and it's part of what's made him so successful. By the time the truth catches up, the perpetual outrage squad has moved on to 25 other topics.

    OTOH, I am not convinced that all presidents are like this to some degree. Trump doesn't hide between walls of advisors though - he's right out there on Twitter talking directly at us.

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    The IRGC is a FTO and the 2001 AUMF gives the president the authority to prevent terrorist attacks against America..
    It gives the president the authority to pursue the terrorists behind 9-11. Iran has nothing to do with 9-11.

    Here's the text:

    Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
    Section 1 – Short Title

    This joint resolution may be cited as the 'Authorization for Use of Military Force'.

    Section 2 – Authorization For Use of United States Armed Forces

    (a) IN GENERAL- That the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons.
    (b) War Powers Resolution Requirements-
    (1) SPECIFIC STATUTORY AUTHORIZATION- Consistent with section 8(a)(1) of the War Powers Resolution, the Congress declares that this section is intended to constitute specific statutory authorization within the meaning of section 5(b) of the War Powers Resolution.
    (2) APPLICABILITY OF OTHER REQUIREMENTS- Nothing in this resolution supersedes any requirement of the War Powers Resolution.
    Speaker of the House of Representatives.

    Vice President of the United States and

    President of the Senate
    .



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It gives the president the authority to pursue the terrorists behind 9-11. Iran has nothing to do with 9-11.

    Here's the text:

    .
    They gave them harbor. Associated with their associates.
    9/11 commission's final report also offered new evidence of increased contact between Iran and al-Qaeda. The report contains information about how several of the 9/11 hijackers passed through Iran, and indicates that officials in Iran did not place entry stamps in their passports.

    The U.S. indictment of bin Laden filed in 1998 stated that al-Qaeda "forged alliances ... with the government of Iran and its associated terrorist group Hezbollah for the purpose of working together against their perceived common enemies."

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    They gave them harbor. Associated with their associates.
    9/11 commission's final report also offered new evidence of increased contact between Iran and al-Qaeda. The report contains information about how several of the 9/11 hijackers passed through Iran, and indicates that officials in Iran did not place entry stamps in their passports. "
    You are either sadly misinformed, or flat out lying. Although the terrorists traveled through Iran, neither the CIA nor the 9/11 commission was able to find any indication that Iran had any knowledge of their intentions, and that is stated quite clearly in the 9/11 Commission report.

    Chicken hawk war mongers lying. #Shocking.

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    's
    This +1000. He rattles off whatever he thinks will persuade people without even a single thought about what's true. He's always done that, and it's part of what's made him so successful. By the time the truth catches up, the perpetual outrage squad has moved on to 25 other topics.

    OTOH, I am not convinced that all presidents are like this to some degree. Trump doesn't hide between walls of advisors though - he's right out there on Twitter talking directly at us.
    "The Patriarch"

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You are either sadly misinformed, or flat out lying. Although the terrorists traveled through Iran, neither the CIA nor the 9/11 commission was able to find any indication that Iran had any knowledge of their intentions, and that is stated quite clearly in the 9/11 Commission report.

    Chicken hawk war mongers lying. #Shocking.
    The IRGC is a foreign terrorist organization who have fought alongside Al Qaeda and armed Iraqi's against us in the Iraq war. They can be targeted and nations that harbor the IRGC can be targeted as long as congress doesn't repeal the 2001 and 2002 aumf and 1991 aumf.

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Trump has no moral compass, none, zip, zilch. ZERO.
    Not surprising. He's never held consistent principles his whole life.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    The IRGC is a foreign terrorist organization who have fought alongside Al Qaeda and armed Iraqi's against us in the Iraq war. They can be targeted and nations that harbor the IRGC can be targeted as long as congress doesn't repeal the 2001 and 2002 aumf and 1991 aumf.
    Are you that stupid to believe your own crap?
    The IRGC is a foreign terrorist organization who have fought alongside Al Qaeda and armed Iraqi's against us in the Iraq war.
    This has never being proven nor the fact the AQ was in Iraq during the occupation.
    Iran and AQ are mortal enemies because one of them are Shia and Sunni.

    The only factions that IRGC supported during the Iraqi were Shia militias and some sunni groups which felt betrayed by American war crimes that were happening in Iraq.

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Looks to me that Trump has been caught in a lie.
    You trust Esper?
    Maybe Trump didn't share with Esper because he doesn't trust him.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

    Robert Heinlein

    Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

    Groucho Marx

    I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

    Linus, from the Peanuts comic

    You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

    Alexis de Torqueville

    Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

    A Zero Hedge comment



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    The IRGC is a foreign terrorist organization who have fought alongside Al Qaeda and armed Iraqi's against us in the Iraq war. They can be targeted and nations that harbor the IRGC can be targeted as long as congress doesn't repeal the 2001 and 2002 aumf and 1991 aumf.
    That's simply not true. The 2001 AUMF says absolutely no such thing.

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Are you that stupid to believe your own crap?

    This has never being proven nor the fact the AQ was in Iraq during the occupation.
    Iran and AQ are mortal enemies because one of them are Shia and Sunni.

    The only factions that IRGC supported during the Iraqi were Shia militias and some sunni groups which felt betrayed by American war crimes that were happening in Iraq.
    Yes but Iran tolerated and gave safe haven to Al Qaeda because they had common enemies. They kept some of them in prison as bargaining chips so they wouldn't attack Iran and provided them with funds and arms and operational intelligence and safe haven to stage attacks against Americans and American allies.

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Yes but Iran tolerated and gave safe haven to Al Qaeda because they had common enemies. They kept some of them in prison as bargaining chips so they wouldn't attack Iran and provided them with funds and arms and operational intelligence and safe haven to stage attacks against Americans and American allies.
    Your beloved Bush admin back after the war in Iraq that AQ was never presences in Iraq during the war agaisnt Saddam or during the occupation.

    They kept some of them in prison as bargaining chips
    I guess you Americans dont even what your American forces did during the occupation of Iraq eh? they divided the Iraqi families and placed Iraqi fathers in prison for nothing while in front of their children.


    Yes but Iran tolerated and gave safe haven to Al Qaeda
    Your an idiot like bush. AQ is Sunni Iran would never tolerate their own enemy which ur gov now backs in Syria.



Similar Threads

  1. Fmr Mossad Chief: DON'T ATTACK IRAN!
    By No Free Beer in forum Ron Paul Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 10:11 PM
  2. Pentagon says Iran concerned primarily with deterring an attack
    By John F Kennedy III in forum World News & Affairs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 02:08 AM
  3. Former Mossad chief: Israeli attack on Iran must be stopped to avert catastrophe
    By John F Kennedy III in forum World News & Affairs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 02:04 AM
  4. Disgruntled Israeli Intelligence Chiefs Try To Stop Attack On Iran
    By John F Kennedy III in forum World News & Affairs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •