Thread: Rep. Thomas Massie reacts to Iran War

Rep. Thomas Massie reacts to Iran War

Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., spoke to Leland Conway on WHAS Friday morning and said he's "beyond trying to litigate" whether Trump had authorization in Iraq and is concerned about what happens next.

"I'm delighted that Pompeo has a plan if everything works out great," Massie said. "What's his plan if it doesn't?"

He questioned whether the United States would ever leave Iraq, saying he doesn't see the U.S. leaving its billion-dollar embassy, which the International Crisis Group says is the largest embassy in the world.

"They plopped it squarely in Iraq to keep us there forever," Massie said
    https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/03/us-airstrike-iran-rand-paul-andy-barr-kentucky-leaders-react/2803144001/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Massie suggests Pelosi simply schedule a vote revoking 2002 AUMF

How many times have Pelosi and the rest of the dems voted to encourage this war?

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...16407203991554

That tweet is amazing. Shows her hypocrisy. Thank you Thomas,

"beyond trying to litigate" ???

That is a bit of a cop out. I'm disappointed in Thomas for that response.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Thomas is being extremely wishy washy--I guess he really is terrified of Trump. At the end of this interview they flat out asked him "Do you think the president should have done what he did?" Instead of saying NO, he gave a bunch of spin and deflection. Come on, Thomas!
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

"We came, we saw, he died."

Where was the Democrat outrage then?

But he has a low carbon footprint with his tesla which is good, I mean spaghetti spine is the best we can get in the house since Amash went psychotic.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Thomas is being extremely wishy washy--I guess he really is terrified of Trump. At the end of this interview they flat out asked him "Do you think the president should have done what he did?" Instead of saying NO, he gave a bunch of spin and deflection. Come on, Thomas!
    He does not have to go against what is already done . If I were him and they asked me I would just say I probably would not have if I were him.
    Do something Danke . Zippy approves this message .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's the interview from last week:
    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/66-le...s-no-55052862/

Leland: Do you think the President should have done what he did--in this Iranian case?

Thomas: *sighs* I just hope and pray there's a plan. And I don't think the President can get us into a war without an act of Congress, so there needs to be a plan for that as well. I hope it works out the way he intended. We are at war in Iraq, and unless we revoke that AUMF, he's probably within his legal and constitutional bounds of waging war in a warzone.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Here's the interview from last week:
    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/66-le...s-no-55052862/
    My main issue with people like Massie in this interview is that he is not necessarily against the actions and would be perfectly OK if its backup with the correct constitutional procedures. You can follow the correct procedure to enact socialized medicine but that wouldn't make it right.

Massie and co are good but we do need better and more assertive reps in Congress. One that would stand up against endless wars, climate change policies and drive to erode the free market.
    You can maintain power over people, as long as you give them something. Rob a man of everything, and that man will no longer be in your power. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Trust principles; not people.
    My Che avatar is my unique way of giving a big middle finger to the, the neocons, the globalists, imperialists and most importantly to the left and right political establishment who hate his guts till this day. My admiration for him ends where his anti imperialist pro communism ideology starts.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    My main issue with people like Massie in this interview is that he is not necessarily against the actions and would be perfectly OK if its backup with the correct constitutional procedures. You can follow the correct procedure to enact socialized medicine but that wouldn't make it right.

Massie and co are good but we do need better and more assertive reps in Congress. One that would stand up against endless wars, climate change policies and drive to erode the free market.
    I agree, although I do believe Massie is actually anti-war (especially in this case). But that isn't worth much if you can't even say so.

The interviewer first asked Thomas if Trump had the authority. He kind of hemmed and hawed and said we are already in a warzone. The interviewer then asked if Trump SHOULD have done what he did. Thomas doesn't answer this question of morals and instead answers a different question that wasn't asked.

Thomas deserves grief over this because he's one of the most anti-war Republican politicians. But if even the most "anti-war" Republican in the House is too scared to hold the President accountable, then no one will.

But at least Rand is actually beginning to hold the President accountable from the Senate side.
    Last edited by EBounding; 01-07-2020 at 11:01 AM.

To be fair to Thomas, Trump probably has a 90% approval rating in his district. So I understand why he doesn't want to cross the line. On the other hand being wishy-washy isn't very good either.

Also the reality is that in the House as a minority he can't do much of anything anyway.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

The House is voting on a war powers resolution today to end military engagement with Iran without congressional approval. Will Thomas support it? This should be an easy "yes" vote, but I'm honestly not sure what he'll do.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...r-iran-attacks

Resolution text: https://rules.house.gov/sites/democr...conres83ih.pdf

He will vote YES, 99.9% certain. No need to worry.