Thread: British teen's gang rape 'confession' was dictated by police

British teen's gang rape 'confession' was dictated by police

This is a very interesting case involving a British teenager who claimed she was gang raped by 12 Israeli's in a holiday resort in Cyprus. She was convicted of lying after changing her story and faces up to 1 year in jail.

A confession signed by a British student saying she invented a gang rape is 'highly unlikely' to have been composed by her, a respected linguist said last night.

It was much more likely to have been the words of a Cypriot policeman dictating what she should write, Dr Andrea Nini said.

The statement – which the Daily Mail can reveal for the first time – is the crux of a case that has sparked a diplomatic incident, with the teenager dragged to court and convicted of lying.

In July, the 19-year-old, in her summer before university, went to police in party resort Ayia Napa to say she had been raped by up to 12 Israeli youths.

She retracted her statement ten days later – under duress, she says, after police on the island 'threatened' her.

But rather than being allowed home, she was hauled to court and charged with the crime of 'public mischief'.

The girl's shambolic trial, which has led to her being stranded on Cyprus, centred around the statement which she says Detective Sergeant Marios Christou forced out of her after eight hours of questioning without a lawyer.

Written in the woman's handwriting, the disputed text contains sentences such as 'The report I did...was not the truth,' and 'I discovered them recording me doing sexual intercourse'. The teenager, from Derbyshire, says these are not her words but are 'Greek English' as it was told to her.

Dr Nini, who gave evidence to the trial on her behalf, said she would have to be a 'criminal mastermind' to fake the structure of sentences to make him believe they came from a 'non-native English speaker'.

The forensic linguist, who is registered as an expert adviser with the UK's National Crime Agency, said there was 'very compelling linguistic evidence' the retraction was dictated by a non-English person.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has raised concerns about the trial since the teenager's conviction on Monday. His staff have been in touch with Cypriot authorities ahead of sentencing on Tuesday when she faces up to a year in jail.

She has claimed Mr Christou wore her down over eight hours of questioning during which she says she was threatened and prevented from using the toilet. She said she eventually signed the statement at 1.29am in the hope she would be allowed home

During her trial, she told Famagusta District Court: 'Marios was approaching me and shouting at me to stop crying. I felt vulnerable. I felt like Iwas in danger as he wasn't going by the law, I wasn't allowed a lawyer.'

Of the statement she signed, she said: 'This is not proper English. It is in Greek English. I'm very well educated, I'm going to university. It does not make grammatical sense….there is not one sentence there that an English person would write.'

But Mr Christou is adamant that the woman was free to write the key part of the statement herself.

It reads: 'The report I did on the 17th of July 2019 that I was raped at ayia napa was not the truth. The truth is that I wasnt raped and everything that happened in that appartment (sic) was with my consent.

The reason I made the statement with the fake report is because I did not know they were recording & humiliating me that night I discovered them recording me doing sexual intercourse and I felt embarrassed so I want to appologise (sic), say I made a mistake.'

Dr Nini, of Manchester University, said it was 'highly unlikely' someone of the defendant's background would have composed the statement in that way.

'Of the two hypotheses; that it was composed by the defendant or that it was dictated by a local police officer, my conclusion from the linguistic evidence is the latter,' he said.

'For example, "doing sexual intercourse" is not something a native English speaker would say. They would say 'having sexual intercourse'.

Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Cypriot president Nicos Anastasiades came together in Athens for the historic deal, which also involved Greece.

Only a few months ago Cyprus and Israel were facing a diplomatic nightmare when the British tourist accused 12 Israeli citizens of raping her in Ayia Napa.

It has been suggested that the fate of the youths – who were arrested but then released without charge – was followed closely by those in high places in Israel.

On the day the Briton was hauled in for questioning and made her sudden retraction, the Greek foreign minister was visiting Israel and seemingly taking an interest in the case. Relations between Cyprus and Israel have been growing in recent years.

The deal between the countries and Greece is for a massive pipeline project to ship gas from the eastern Mediterranean to Europe.

Greek prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, Mr Netanyahu and Mr Anastasiades took part in the ceremony at which their respective energy ministers signed the deal.

The EastMed project is expected to make the three countries key links in Europe's energy supply chain.

Despite Dr Nini's evidence, judge Michalis Papathanasiou ruled the student had written the statement freely, sealing her fate.

'I think it's very surprising that the judge dismissed my evidence,' Dr Nini said. 'I don't see how it could have been faked. She would have to be a criminal mastermind.'

The student – who had three unconditional offers to start university in September – has been stranded on the island for five months.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-police.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is accusing Israelis of rape considered antisemitism now?

Quote Originally Posted by mattniers View Post
    Is accusing Israelis of rape considered antisemitism now?
    I doubt it. The 12 Israeli's accused of the rape were initially arrested but let go. Speculation is some strings were pulled.

I'd need to see the tape to judge.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

She doesn't have a prayer. Or, maybe, she prays to the wrong God.

Thirty-five bruises found on British teenager convicted of making up rape claims in Cyprus leave 'no doubt' the 19-year-old was telling the truth, pathologist claims, amid fears she will be a suicide risk if she is jailed

-Student insists she was held down and raped by up to 12 Israeli men in Ayia Napa

-Bruises across legs, arms and buttocks said to be 'consistent' with sexual assault

-Diagram of bruising compiled by pathologist who saw photographs of injuries

-Teenager faces up to a year in prison after Cypriot court found her guilty of lying

Multiple bruises found on a young British woman who alleged she was gang-raped on holiday in Cyprus leave 'no doubt' that she had suffered a violent assault, according to a pathologist.

The student, who faces up to a year in jail after being found guilty of lying, insists she was held down and raped by up to 12 Israeli youths at a budget hotel in Ayia Napa.

Some 35 bruises found across the 19-year-old's legs, arms and buttocks are said to be consistent with her having suffered a violent sexual assault. Marks were also found around her knees and eyes.

They were seen in a diagram, compiled by a pathologist who saw photographs of the injuries, in a Cypriot court as she was tried for public mischief.

However, the evidence was dismissed by the judge whose handling of the case before her conviction last week has come under fire in an escalating diplomatic row.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pe-claims.html

She signed the 'fake statement' so she could go home.

She was making the accusation, did somebody not allow her to leave?

Very odd.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    She signed the 'fake statement' so she could go home.

She was making the accusation, did somebody not allow her to leave?

Very odd.
    It has all the hallmarks of a false confession. No lawyer, pressure from the cops etc...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    British teenager, 19, convicted of lying over Cyprus gang rape ordeal 'is to get Presidential pardon allowing her to return home tomorrow'

The British teenager convicted of lying about being gang raped by 12 Israeli men in Cyprus will be pardoned and allowed to return to Britain immediately - even if she is jailed tomorrow, it emerged today.

President Nicos Anastasiades will reportedly not let the 19-year-old go to prison and she will be handed back her passport and given free passage to the UK because of the furore over her case.

Her mother says her daughter has PTSD, sleeps 20 hours a day and suffers hallucinations when she hears foreign male voices - and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab piled on more pressure by saying travel advice for British citizens going to Cyprus is now 'under review'.

The island's Phileleftheros daily newspaper reported today: 'Should the court move to order her to prison, the President has already decided that he will pardon the girl, immediately after the ruling'.

A Government source claimed the President would ensure her freedom after 'considering the girl's young age and the outcry which the case has generated both in and out of Cyprus' - and denied it was because of British pressure.

It came as protesters chanted 'boycott Cyprus' outside the Cypriot High Commission in London today in support of a British teenager convicted of lying about being gang-raped because of flaws in the case and a questionable confession secured by

Demonstrators gathered in front the High Commission Of The Republic Of Cyprus in St James's Square this morning before setting off to march through the streets past Downing Street and the Foreign Office to Parliament Square.

They were calling for justice for the 19-year-old woman, who was found guilty of public mischief and is due to be sentenced tomorrow.

The protest came after the teenager's mother appeared on This Morning where she hit out at Cypriot police who she insists forced a false retraction from her daughter, and failed to properly gather evidence in the wake of the assault.

The 19-year-old claims she was gang raped by up to 12 Israeli youths, who following the retraction were allowed to fly home while she was held.

Tomorrow she will be sentenced and the girl's mother said 'best case scenario is she is given a fine and a suspended sentence,' while 'worst case' would mean prison.

Speaking from Cyprus with her face obscured by darkness, the mother said: 'The whole police procedures in Cyprus are wrong. The CID said he didn't take notes because he was too busy that night.'

She also insisted her daughter was telling the truth, adding: I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever about my daughter's claims. She's really suffering out here.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rape-PTSD.html

I'd like to know more or hear her explanation of how she was being held against her will when she was making the complaints.

Technically, if she wanted to go home without signing any "confessions", she should've been able to.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    I'd like to know more or hear her explanation of how she was being held against her will when she was making the complaints.

Technically, if she wanted to go home without signing any "confessions", she should've been able to.
    The police could have coerced her, kept for hours, lied to her etc. I know its not the full story so all we can do is speculate until she is out and tells her story (she will probably get paid a lot of money by the media for it)

A welcome development.

She's coming home! British teenager, 19, convicted of lying about being gang-raped in Cyprus weeps as she is spared jail by judge who gives her suspended sentence and says she deserves 'a second chance' – leaving her free to fly back to UK TODAY

A British teenager found guilty of lying about being gang-raped in Cyprus broke down in tears today and hugged her family as she was spared jail - paving the way for her to return home immediately.

The emotional 19-year-old woman from Derbyshire, who MailOnline has chosen not to name, declared she was 'relieved' as she was handed a four-month suspended sentence and will now be allowed to fly back to the UK.

She could have been jailed for up to a year and fined 1,700 euro (£1,500) at Famagusta District Court in Paralimni but will now walk free and be handed back her passport.

Judge Michelins Papathanasiou decided that the young Briton deserved a 'second chance' despite the 'seriousness of her crime'.

Freeing her he said: 'Her psychological state, her youth, that she has been away from her family, her friends and academic studies this year. This has led me to decide to give her a second chance and suspend the sentence for three years'.

The 19 year old’s mother said her daughter's was ‘just relieved’ that she can go home and added: ‘She is innocent’ and her QC Lewis Power said: 'The fight for her innocence will go on regardless'.

The woman will appeal to Cyprus' supreme court to get her conviction overturned but is expected never to return to the Mediterranean island again when she leaves later.

Speaking on the steps of court afterwards her lawyer Lewis Power QC said the family is delighted she would be able return home - but added her ordeal in Cyprus exposed the ‘gaping chasm’ in the treatment of women abroad who report a sex crimes.

Mr Power said: ‘This has been an incredibly sad and tragic case for a young teenage girl from Derbyshire, a once happy and gregarious young girl who like so many of her age group came over to Cyprus with all the excitement of a young traveller and with high aspirations to attend university thereafter.

‘She was on the cusp of embarking upon a new chapter in her life but under the most dire circumstances she went overnight from being victim to being the accused having to endure not only the dreadful physical violation of a pre-meditated gang rape and serious sexual assault perpetrated upon her but also the prolonged mental ordeal under the judicial process in Cyprus, being accused of the offence of public mischief in that this was all a lie to the police.

‘She is adamant of her innocence and that she has told the truth. Whilst we welcome the fact that the sentence imposed today allows her to go home, we strongly contest the conviction and the fight for her innocence will go on regardless. We will be appealing the conviction and will take this case to the Supreme Court of Cyprus and are prepared to fight this case all the way to the European Court of Human Rights'.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rn-jailed.html