Thread: Is it even possible to record 10 million dollars in one day?

Is it even possible to record 10 million dollars in one day?

The graph on November 5th was maxed out from 8 am to midnight at a 45 degree angle.

So, even if people do donate over $10,000,000 will it even register it all in a 24 hour period?

Yes, it will all go towards the total amount donated but is there a max that can be recorded in a single day?

A few determining factors might be:

1) donate early (as in right after midnight of the 15th)
    2) add more CC processing
    3) donate one large sum instead of several small donations

Thoughts?

Hunter
    www.StandAndUnite.com
    Here's a very advanced, stealthy, yet simple way to spread the word of freedom, peace, prosperity and Dr. Paul!

"247 Gas Saving Tips to Help Save Gas, Pay Less for Gas & Get More Miles Per Gallon 24/7!"
    Affiliates earn 100% commissions for every $7 membership they refer!

"I am a friend of the Free State Project!" -- Rep. Ron Paul
    FreeStateProject.org
    "I'm not only a friend, I'm also a member!" -- Alex Hunter

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What is it like, $7000-8000 per min for that kind of sum?

Donations should be spread out starting early after mid night of Dec 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Star View Post
    What is it like, $7000-8000 per min for that kind of sum?

Donations should be spread out starting early after mid night of Dec 15.
    Actually, its $115.74 per second to get 10 million in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by A Ron Paul Rebel View Post
    The graph on November 5th was maxed out from 8 am to midnight at a 45 degree angle.

So, even if people do donate over $10,000,000 will it even register it all in a 24 hour period?

Yes, it will all go towards the total amount donated but is there a max that can be recorded in a single day?

A few determining factors might be:

1) donate early (as in right after midnight of the 15th)
    2) add more CC processing
    3) donate one large sum instead of several small donations

Thoughts?

Hunter
    If you noticed on November 5th, once it passed midnight into the 6th, the chart stopped spiking like that and donations stopped going in at that rate. Donations basically stopped immediately after midnight. That indicates that there wasn't overflow from too much money coming in to be recorded.

I watched the graphs from midnight onward on the 5th and I can tell you that the vertical scale kept changing, i.e. the GAP between each graduation got smaller and smaller throughout the drive.

So have no fear....bombs away!

Actually Id say the ideal time to donate is like 3-5 AM eastern. That tends to be the slowest time so you dont have to worry about the server being over loaded, and you will also still allow for a nice surprise for people waking up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by skinzterpswizfan View Post
    If you noticed on November 5th, once it passed midnight into the 6th, the chart stopped spiking like that and donations stopped going in at that rate. Donations basically stopped immediately after midnight. That indicates that there wasn't overflow from too much money coming in to be recorded.
    I saw a post tonight about the graph maxes out at 45 degrees, which makes sense since it was a near perfect angle all day long.

Now that I think about it though, even if the graph maxes out, it doesn't mean that donations will at the same time... With that said, I'd imagine that there is a limit on how many donations can be processed in a given amount of time. The graph isn't the determining factor but the CC processing is.

Hunter
    www.StandAndUnite.com
    Here's a very advanced, stealthy, yet simple way to spread the word of freedom, peace, prosperity and Dr. Paul!

"247 Gas Saving Tips to Help Save Gas, Pay Less for Gas & Get More Miles Per Gallon 24/7!"

FreeStateProject.org

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    imagine if we hit 10 million lol we'd have like 22-23 million for this quarter LOL

would that be news?

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTheLibertarian View Post
    imagine if we hit 10 million lol we'd have like 22-23 million for this quarter LOL

would that be news?
    Maybe
    www.StandAndUnite.com

FreeStateProject.org

I think the 45 degree angle wasn't a flaw with Ron Paul's website, but with Ron Paul Graphs.

It is doable and would be very impressive but would need for us to give it our best shot. We should try to approach as close as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RPsupporterAtHeart View Post
    make a bigger graph?
    I love it!... Gave me a chuckle.

Donate early!
    Brian Horsfield
    Co-Organizer, Fairfield, Iowa, Ron Paul Meetup Group
    http://www.meetup.com/Fairfield4RonPaul

Get anywhere near the level that Hillary gets in a quarter and it will definitely make news, and he isn't doing it with lobbyists or special interests, or Bill sleeping with the eastern seaboard for donations.

Quote Originally Posted by RPsupporterAtHeart View Post
    Get anywhere near the level that Hillary gets in a quarter and it will definitely make news, and he isn't doing it with lobbyists or special interests, or Bill sleeping with the eastern seaboard for donations.
    seaboard ?

Yes, it's doable.

I plan to donate half at 7AM EST and half at 7PM EST.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another reminder:

We have to be careful to not send in any donations before midnight at the start of the tea party. Last time donations came in a tad early and they didn't actually count for that day.
    "Aggressive wars, income taxes, national IDs, domestic spying, torture regimes, secret prisons, Federal Reserve manipulation -- we don't have to take it any more." -- Ron Paul, Sept 27, 2007

Graphs work perfectly fine

There are no flaws with the graph, and there is no limit at "45 degrees."

The graph was accurately reporting in real time the donations coming in.

The donations have the capability to come in at $115/second and they will be recorded at that rate.

The graph looks straight on Nov 5 because many people are donating at $100 amounts. Probability dictates that 39000 people donating over one day will be evenly spread out.

There is no funny business with the graph.

Everything is fine and reported as it happens. You can watch the derivative graphs http://paulcash.slact.net/ to get a feel for how the donation rates are progressing throughout the day.

I hope we break the flippin graph. Make it so huge that it cannot be charted. I've never looked forward to a day like I have for this Sunday.

Anyone in a position to log some average metrics for the web servers? After this is all said and done my professional interest would love to compare those to the 16th.

I will be happy with going over $6 Mill and breaking all previosu records, but $10 million would be just a superb success way past shattering past records.

Lightbulb

As has been said, the graphs were accurately reporting the donations, and they were not hitting any maximum rate limit. I thought this was the case a while back, after one of the first emails from the campaign prompted one of the first big donation days after http://ronpaulgraphs.com was set up. However, if you check out http://paulcash.slact.net, you'll see that there is a donation rate graph, and there will be spikes and dips in the rate. It's just that on heavy donation days, the differences between spikes and dips aren't as large relative to each other, even though they are quite large.

For example, it might vary anywhere between $200,000 per hour and $160,000 per hour on a day like the 5th. This is only a 20% drop, but it's $40,000 per hour difference. On slower days, it might vary between $2,000 per hour, and $500 per hour. This is a 75% drop, but only $1,500 difference. If you only pay attention to the absolute differences between $40,000 per hour and $1,500 per hour, you'd think that the graph for the big day would look a lot more uneven, since its donation rate is changing by much larger amounts. But in reality, it is the percentage that determines how straight or uneven the donation totals graph is, and a 20% variation will make a much straighter looking line than a 75% variation.

The end result: The bigger the donation day, the more likely the graph is going to look rather straight. We should expect this, and not be surprised when it happens.

I hope there's a 5th vs 16th comparison graph in place by the start of the day That's the one I want to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Exponent View Post
    As has been said, the graphs were accurately reporting the donations, and they were not hitting any maximum rate limit. I thought this was the case a while back, after one of the first emails from the campaign prompted one of the first big donation days after http://ronpaulgraphs.com was set up. However, if you check out http://paulcash.slact.net, you'll see that there is a donation rate graph, and there will be spikes and dips in the rate. It's just that on heavy donation days, the differences between spikes and dips aren't as large relative to each other, even though they are quite large.

For example, it might vary anywhere between $200,000 per hour and $160,000 per hour on a day like the 5th. This is only a 20% drop, but it's $40,000 per hour difference. On slower days, it might vary between $2,000 per hour, and $500 per hour. This is a 75% drop, but only $1,500 difference. If you only pay attention to the absolute differences between $40,000 per hour and $1,500 per hour, you'd think that the graph for the big day would look a lot more uneven, since its donation rate is changing by much larger amounts. But in reality, it is the percentage that determines how straight or uneven the donation totals graph is, and a 20% variation will make a much straighter looking line than a 75% variation.

The end result: The bigger the donation day, the more likely the graph is going to look rather straight. We should expect this, and not be surprised when it happens.
    Exactly. The line graph on ronpaulgraphs.com is nothing more than a whole bunch of bar graphs, minus the bars. If you take the area under the donation rate graph, that's the total we've actually raised.

But we basically need to do a rate more than double what we did before.

On the midnight issue, on the 5th, it was $50,000 which is not all that big in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather lose $50k to the day before if the initial rate inspires people to donate 200k more, than have the 50k if the first 15 minutes are lackluster.
    Ambassador from The Wordforge

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 280Z28 View Post
    I hope there's a 5th vs 16th comparison graph in place by the start of the day That's the one I want to watch!
    +1

If you want to break the 10million barrier you need a nationally televised telethon

"The phones are now open, isn't that right Mary?"
    "yes Mr Poppeil!"

Quote Originally Posted by 280Z28 View Post
    I'm surprised no one else has posted this yet.

http://ronpaulgraphs.com/dec_16_vs_nov_5_total.png

Make lots of popcorn, it's going to be a heck of a show.