Thread: The Unbearable Whiteness of Hiking and How to Solve It

The Unbearable Whiteness of Hiking and How to Solve It

Lornett Vestal and Matthew Nichols

It’s fitting that America’s most famous wilderness guide, Sacajawea of the Lemhi Shoshone tribe, was a woman of color. But it’s also tragic that throughout American history, ethnic minorities have so often been underrepresented or intentionally excluded from the outdoors. Today, research from industry groups like the Outdoor Foundation bears out the conclusion that minority groups simply don’t go outside. Consider this data point: in any given year, less than half of African American adolescents age 13 to 17 will participate in even one outdoor recreation activity. The issue isn’t that people of color in America don’t care about nature or environmental issues. In fact, surveys of racial minorities consistently show they are more concerned than whites about climate change and more supportive of policies to fix it. So what is keeping people of color from participating in outdoor recreation and enjoying its benefits? As activist and author Glenn Nelson writes, “Because the outdoors remains a largely white domain, it is up to white America to invite communities of color in, to enlist us as allies.” Here are a few proven strategies for outings leaders (and well-meaning white folks) who want to be part of the solution:

Let’s Talk About Race:

Continued...https://www.sierraclub.org/outdoors/...mpression=true
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nature be raciss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Let’s Talk About Race:
    Let's not and say we did.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

I squint..

Prevents Snow-blindness.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Glenn Nelson writes, “Because the outdoors remains a largely white domain, it is up to white America to invite communities of color in, to enlist us as allies.”
    Maybe I don't want Yosemite tagged like a rusty boxcar.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

It's a free country.
    If they want to go into the great outdoors then they can, they can even chip in to send "their" kids to camp.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Wait, more white people going on and on about how we need to purposely teach minorities to be big boys and girls?

They're thinking like they are more superior to the minorities and they need to bring them up to the white levels?

A good example:
    FJB

As someone who enjoys the outdoors, I think it would help society if everyone spent more time in it. It is a fact that people who spend more time in the sunshine have less depression. It is also a fact that people who regularly exposed to nature are nicer and get along with others better.

What I wish is that cities didn’t pave over every square inch of green space, especially deep in urban areas. Grass and trees are good. A horizon unobstructed by walls, freeways, and bridges are good. People need to process that the world is bigger than they are and that the sun doesn’t rise and set right outside their door.

Nature is not racist. It is necessary to life.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Wait, more white people going on and on about how we need to purposely teach minorities to be big boys and girls?

They're thinking like they are more superior to the minorities and they need to bring them up to the white levels?

A good example:
    Yep, next time you see a POC on a trail hiking be sure to offer to help them. (You to random POC person, hey, I'm white, let me show you how to enjoy the outdoors.)
    "The Patriarch"

Is this from the onion ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Open borders will solve it.
    Oh please, do tell us how.
    "The Patriarch"

Lots of dark folks try not to get darker.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Hiking is a very European enterprise, in my experience.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Didn't much of camping emerge from Americans of European heritage who kind of romantized living a more rustic way like the original settlers? I think Camping was more about this at least originally experiencing minimalism or self reliance away from the community.

Maybe Thoreau's book Walden was another take on this. It does look at being close to nature but also reflecting on society while being away from it.

Relating to nature is a good thing in general, but minorities don't have to follow the lead driving long distances to go hiking.

German professor I had said when he grew up (in Germany) every Sunday his family would go hiking.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Whenever I am out in the the woods, the last thing I want to see is more people of any $#@!ing color.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Whenever I am out in the the woods, the last thing I want to see is more people of any $#@!ing color.
    LOL +rep

This goes here:

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!!!

Last summer on our trip we had a whole lake to ourselves except for one guy who came up and fished it every morning and then left, it was heavenly. Luckily he wasn't a POC so we didn't have to show him how he should fish and invite him to stay.
    "The Patriarch"

Marketing running fence to morons...

I get tickled at the yuppie gear, shorts-n-shoes, backpacks full of $#@!, alloy 'walking sticks' etc.

One cross-fenced section in these hills will take a good 'hiker' and his mule a couple days to run....

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unless I am bear hunting . Then I try to figure out a way to incorporate them as bait .
    Do something Danke

When I was younger I would take my old buddy Collins from Mississippi hunting with me. He would say " why do you want me to go ". I would tell him because the bears or gators or whatever love the smell of menthol cigarettes and malt liquor .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Is bear tastey or do you hunt them just for sport?
    I make burgers out of it and grill them . More done than beef hough.
    Do something Danke