Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trump guts the First Amendment: signs Executive Order suppressing criticism of Israel

Trump guts the First Amendment: signs Executive Order suppressing criticism of Israel

Trump signs executive order aimed at suppressing criticism of Israel

At a Hanukkah celebration in the White House Wednesday, President Donald Trump signed an executive order aimed at suppressing criticism of the Israeli government on college campuses across the United States.

The action is targeted in particular at squelching the First Amendment rights of US-based students, professors and other activists involved in the pro-Palestinian Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, by classifying opposition to the policies of the state of Israel as anti-Semitism.

Trump’s order expands the federal government’s interpretation of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits funding to institutions which discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color and national origin, to include anti-Semitism.

Trump declared that his order makes clear that Title VI “prohibits the funding of institutions which traffic in anti-Semitic hate.” He went on to proclaim that if publicly funded universities “want to accept the tremendous amount of federal dollars you get every year you must reject anti-Semitism.”

The president boasted of his tremendous support for Israel as proof of his support for Jews, citing his decisions to move the US embassy to Jerusalem, recognize Israel’s control over the disputed Golan Heights and tear up the Iran nuclear deal negotiated by the Obama administration.

While he didn’t specify which institutions were targeted by the order, he did explicitly call out the BDS movement, whose supporters seek to pressure Israel through protests and lobbying into ending its occupation of the West Bank, grant full equality for Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel and recognize the right of return for Palestinian refugees. Leaders of the BDS movement have been blocked from entering Israel and supporters are routinely smeared as anti-Semites simply for advocating on behalf of the Palestinian people.

Replying to early reports, the Trump administration was at pains to insist that this stretching of the scope of anti-discrimination measures was not meant to redefine Jews as a nationality or race, itself a vile anti-Jewish trope deployed by the Nazis, the Ku Klux Klan and other anti-Semites.

“The executive order does not define Jews as a nationality,” Trump’s son-in-law and White House adviser Jared Kushner wrote in an op-ed in the New York Times Wednesday. “It merely says that to the extent that Jews are discriminated against for ethnic, racial or national characteristics, they are entitled to protection by the anti-discrimination law.”

Critically, the executive order encourages departments enforcing Title VI to utilize the working definition of anti-Semitism outlined by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA), aligning policy with the staunchest right-wing defenders of Israel.

The IHRA definition describes criticism of Israel as anti-Semitism, listing a number of examples, including the description of the establishment of the state of Israel as a “racist endeavor” due to the expulsion of the Palestinian citizens who were already living in the region, or comparing “contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis” in establishing an apartheid regime which confines Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The effort to expand the definition of anti-Semitism to include criticism of Israel is supported by Democrats and Republicans alike. According to the New York Times , the initiative for the executive order came from David Krone, who had served as chief of staff for Senator Harry Reid when he led Democrats in the Senate.

Reid had helped shepherd through the Senate a bill which would have written into law similar standards, the Anti-Semitism Awareness Act of 2016, but it ultimately died in the House. Krone successfully lobbied Kushner, who had been a Democrat until 2015, for the order to be drafted by the White House and signed by Trump.

Among those welcomed by Trump on the platform was Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz, a Democrat, who proclaimed that the executive order would “turn universities from being bastions of discrimination and hatred” and “go down in history as one of the most important events in the 2,000-year battle against anti-Semitism.” Other Democrats on the platform behind Trump as he signed the order were Representatives Max Rose from New York, Elaine Luria from Virginia and Josh Gottheimer of New Jersey.

One of Trump’s favorite far-right evangelical ministers, Robert Jeffress, was also given time to speak, assuring those assembled that God would “bless those who bless Israel and curse those who curse Israel” and the president was on the “right side of God.” Evangelicals are fervently pro-Israel, not due to their love for Jews, but because they believe that the establishment of a Jewish state in the Middle East will help usher in the second coming of Christ. In fact, Jeffress, who spoke at the dedication of the US embassy in Jerusalem, has declared that Jews as well as Muslims, Hindus and Mormons are all condemned to an eternal punishment in hellfire.

For his part, Trump has repeatedly made appeals to far-right anti-Semites, something which is not incompatible with appeals to far-right Zionists. His fascist adviser on immigration policy, Stephen Miller, is Jewish. Early on in his presidency Trump declared that the neo-Nazis who rioted in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one protester, were “good people.”
    Last edited by unknown; 12-22-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are you allowed to criticize Zionism?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Are you allowed to criticize Zionism?
    $#@! no.

When the first amendment was written, people used quill pens, they couldnt have envisioned the internet.
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

Clearly the deep state is making him do this and he secretly actually doesn't support it at all.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Clearly the deep state is making him do this and he secretly actually doesn't support it at all.
    Justin Amash did this single handed by enabling RINO senators to blackmail Trump with the threat of impeachment.

No, seriously. That's this week's Official Lame Excuse Plausible Denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And Amash is enabling the Neocons in the Senate to be able to blackmail Trump with their impeachment votes to sign it.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 12-22-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Lol, wow, Anthony Weiner, too?

So, withholding taxpayer dollars is an attack on the 1st amendment?

This will only encourage the college yutes to criticize the Axis Of A$$hole$.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Here I thought the first amendment was designed basically so the government can't persecute you for criticizing the government. If ops premise is true than Israel is the government.
    If you're going to make lame excuses, perhaps you should read the First Amendment first. It does not specify speech about the government.

But it does start, Congress shall pass no law... So, maybe your lame denial should be, Trump can decree any Bill of Rights violating totalitarianism he damned well pleases because he isn't Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    If you're going to make lame excuses, perhaps you should read the First Amendment first. It does not specify speech about the government.

But it does start, Congress shall pass no law... So, maybe your lame denial should be, Trump can decree any Bill of Rights violating totalitarianism he damned well pleases because he isn't Congress.
    Well as far as i can read the eo basically reads that jew is a nationality and therefore anti discrimination laws apply to jews. The Israel stuff from what i can tell is just recognizing that Israel is a Jewish nation.

Trump declared that his order makes clear that Title VI “prohibits the funding of institutions which traffic in anti-Semitic hate.” He went on to proclaim that if publicly funded universities “want to accept the tremendous amount of federal dollars you get every year you must reject anti-Semitism.”
    They (colleges and their students) have no absolute right to my extorted tax dollars.

$#@! them, bunch of Marxist pricks the whole lot of them.

You want to hang Moshe and Stein in effigy, be my guest.

All Trump is saying here is that you're not gonna do it with taxpayer funds.

I happen to agree.

Good for him.
    There are only two things we should fight for.
    One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. - Smedley Darlington Butler

Well as far as i can read the eo basically reads that jew is a nationality and therefore anti discrimination laws apply to jews. The Israel stuff from what i can tell is just recognizing that Isarel is a Jewish nation.
    You just called Jared Kushner a liar--and he, presumably, has actually read this thing. Have you? Would you be so kind as to quote the section you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    They (colleges and their students) have no absolute right to my extorted tax dollars.

$#@! them, bunch of Marxist pricks the whole lot of them.

You want to hang Moshe and Stein in effigy, be my guest.

All Trump is saying here is that you're not gonna do it with taxpayer funds.

I happen to agree.

Good for him.
    So the colleges and universities that jump through Israel's hoops do get your taxpayer dollars, and are able to squeeze those which don't out of the market and out of business.

What are we cheering about again?

So the colleges and universities that jump through Israel's hoops do get your taxpayer dollars, and are able to squeeze those which don't out of the market and out of business.

I'm not particularly cheering.

Just mildly pleased that some of my extorted dollars will be cut off from the Marxist's training camps.

I don't give a flying $#@! what they do or do not do as far as teh Joos are concerned.

They could build mock ups uf Bergen Belsen as far as I'm concerned...wouldn't surprise me if they did as a matter of fact.

Just so long as they aren't doing it with money stolen from me.
    There are only two things we should fight for.
    One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. - Smedley Darlington Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I'm not particularly cheering.

Just mildly pleased that some of my extorted dollars will be cut off from the Marxist's training camps.

I don't give a flying $#@! what they do or do not do as far as teh Joos are concerned.

They could build mock ups uf Bergen Belsen as far as I'm concerned...wouldn't surprise me if they did as a matter of fact.

Just so long as they aren't doing it with money stolen from me.
    But that's not happening.

What's happening is, they are jumping through Israel's hoops and they are landing in a big, fat pile of your and my money.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

What's happening is, they are jumping through Israel's hoops and they are landing in a big, fat pile of your and my money.

Exactly correct. It's just like when the feds threatened to withold federal highway funds to coerce states into adopting the 55 mph speed limit and to raise drinking ages up to 21. Universities will all fall in line, not one red cent in funding will be withheld and free speech will die a little bit more on campuses.

I absolutely agree that universities should receive no tax dollars but this is not the way to accomplish that. This is an attack on free speech plain and simple using the threat of doing something that ought to be done across the board selectively to accomplish it. "We won't steal other people's money and give it to you unless you help us violate their 1st Amendment rights." Trump gets no points for this.

ETA:And since when do conservatives come down IN FAVOR of expanding the reach of the CRA64? Seriously?
    Last edited by CCTelander; 12-22-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

You just called Jared Kushner a liar--and he, presumably, has actually read this thing. Have you? Would you be so kind as to quote the section you're talking about?

What the $#@! so you are saying i can go to college campuses with a KKK hood on and preach that black people aren't human?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What the $#@! so you are saying i can go to college campuses with a KKK hood on and preach that black people aren't human?
    Please do.

They are entitled to their country and are our ally. I can't say America is entitled to southern states and they don't belong to Mexican reconquistas if Israeli jews arent entitled to Israel.

They are entitled to their country and are our ally. I can't say America is entitled to southern states and don't belong to Mexico reconquistas if Israeli jews arent entitled to Israel.
    So you stand with Abraham Lincoln. Good to know.

Sorry anti discrimination laws apply so i legally can't.
    You can't do it legally, or you can't do it long before being declared a trespasser?

So you stand with Abraham Lincoln. Good to know.

You can't do it legally, or you can't do it long before being declared a trespasser?
    Anti discrimination laws. Universities are considered American institutions so they don't get to teach racism. They teach lots of progressive hatred though its usually passive agressive hatred of American culture.

It’s incredible how difficult it can be to find links to the full and original text of just about anything. Media loves to give their spin instead.

Anyway, here’s the full text if anyone wants to peruse it. Could only find it by going to the Whitehouse website.

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. My Administration is committed to combating the rise of anti-Semitism and anti-Semitic incidents in the United States and around the world. Anti-Semitic incidents have increased since 2013, and students, in particular, continue to face anti Semitic harassment in schools and on university and college campuses.

Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), 42 U.S.C. 2000d et seq., prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, and national origin in programs and activities receiving Federal financial assistance. While Title VI does not cover discrimination based on religion, individuals who face discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin do not lose protection under Title VI for also being a member of a group that shares common religious practices. Discrimination against Jews may give rise to a Title VI violation when the discrimination is based on an individual’s race, color, or national origin.

It shall be the policy of the executive branch to enforce Title VI against prohibited forms of discrimination rooted in anti-Semitism as vigorously as against all other forms of discrimination prohibited by Title VI.

Sec. 2. Ensuring Robust Enforcement of Title VI. (a) In enforcing Title VI, and identifying evidence of discrimination based on race, color, or national origin, all executive departments and agencies (agencies) charged with enforcing Title VI shall consider the following:

(i) the non-legally binding working definition of anti Semitism adopted on May 26, 2016, by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA), which states, “Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities”; and

(ii) the “Contemporary Examples of Anti-Semitism” identified by the IHRA, to the extent that any examples might be useful as evidence of discriminatory intent.

(b) In considering the materials described in subsections (a)(i) and (a)(ii) of this section, agencies shall not diminish or infringe upon any right protected under Federal law or under the First Amendment. As with all other Title VI complaints, the inquiry into whether a particular act constitutes discrimination prohibited by Title VI will require a detailed analysis of the allegations.

Sec. 3. Additional Authorities Prohibiting Anti-Semitic Discrimination. Within 120 days of the date of this order, the head of each agency charged with enforcing Title VI shall submit a report to the President, through the Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy, identifying additional nondiscrimination authorities within its enforcement authority with respect to which the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism could be considered.

Sec. 4. Rule of Construction. Nothing in this order shall be construed to alter the evidentiary requirements pursuant to which an agency makes a determination that conduct, including harassment, amounts to actionable discrimination, or to diminish or infringe upon the rights protected under any other provision of law.

Sec. 5. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

DONALD J. TRUMP

THE WHITE HOUSE,
    December 11, 2019.
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...anti-semitism/
    The part that is extremely questionable is subordinating or outsourcing of this executive order to an outside entity. The US is now bound by a “working definition” created by some unaccountable group?

the non-legally binding working definition of anti Semitism adopted on May 26, 2016, by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA)
    Seems that they engaged in a little CYA here with regards to the First Amendment:

In considering the materials described in subsections (a)(i) and (a)(ii) of this section, agencies shall not diminish or infringe upon any right protected under Federal law or under the First Amendment.
    There doesn’t seem to be any mention of withholding funds or anything about the BDS movement. What is the source of those claims?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Anti discrimination laws. Universities are considered American institutions so they don't get to teach racism. They teach lots of progressive hatred though its usually passive agressive hatred of American culture.
    Oh? You think there are federal laws telling professors what they cannot say? You think professors can be arrested by the FBI if they say these things?

What about Nixon's 55 mph "national speed limit"? Was it against federal law to drive 76 in 1976? Did you have to go to federal court to fight the ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The part that is extremely questionable is subordinating or outsourcing of this executive order to an outside entity. The US is now bound by a “working definition” created by some unaccountable group?
    There doesn’t seem to be any mention of withholding funds or anything about the BDS movement. What is the source of those claims?
    What do you think the whole thing is about if not withholding funds? And to have it be determined by those named. Is this a serious question?
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh? You think there are federal laws telling professors what they cannot say? You think professors can be arrested by the FBI if they say these things?

What about Nixon's 55 mph "national speed limit"? Was it against federal law to drive 76 in 1976? Did you have to go to federal court to fight the ticket?
    Arrested no. They just won't be accredited and their degrees will be worthless. Have fun with your hatred school with degrees that mean nothing to anyone. Im sure you will get lots of people to devote their time and monies on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Exactly correct. It's just like when the feds threatened to withold federal highway funds to coerce states into adopting the 55 mph speed limit and to raise drinking ages up to 21. Universities will all fall in line, not one red cent in funding will be withheld and free speech will die a little bit more on campuses.

I absolutely agree that universities should receive no tax dollars but this is not the way to accomplish that. This is an attack on free speech plain and simple using the threat of doing something that ought to be done across the board selectively to accomplish it. "We won't steal other people's money and give it to you unless you help us violate their 1st Amendment rights." Trump gets no points for this.

ETA:And since when do conservatives come down IN FAVOR of expanding the reach of the CRA64? Seriously?
    Social engineering for the win, Israeli style.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    What do you think the whole thing is about if not withholding funds? And to have it be determined by those named. Is this a serious question?
    I’m more interested in the mechanics of it. How does this eventually result in withholding funds?

I assume it is related to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act? So if an entity violates Title VI they lose Federal funding? Is that how it currently works? Is there an existing legal process for this? Does it go to the courts?

Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), 42 U.S.C. 2000d et seq., prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, and national origin in programs and activities receiving Federal financial assistance.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I’m more interested in the mechanics of it. How does this eventually result in withholding funds?

I assume it is related to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act? So if an entity violates Title VI they lose Federal funding? Is that how it currently works? Is there an existing legal process for this?
    -------------------------------------------------------------

They just do it, a judge could always block it I suppose but I don't see that happening

Does it go to the courts?

-------------see above..
    "The Patriarch"

This is the consequence of the Civil rights act.

I assume it is related to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act? So if an entity violates Title VI they lose Federal funding? Is that how it currently works? Is there an existing legal process for this? Does it go to the courts?
    If an investigation indicates there has been a violation of Title VI, OCR attempts to obtain voluntary compliance. If it cannot obtain voluntary compliance, OCR will initiate enforcement action, either by referring the case to the Department of Justice for court action, or by initiating proceedings, before an administrative law judge, to terminate Federal funding to the recipient's program or activity in which the prohibited discrimination occurred. Terminations are made only after the recipient has had an opportunity for a hearing before an administrative law judge, and after all other appeals have been exhausted.
    Seems I was a bit off, there is a process.

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/li...cs/hq43e4.html
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast