Thread: Boeing astronaut ship stalls in orbit

Boeing astronaut ship stalls in orbit

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50855395

Boeing difficulties continue. This week the suspended further production of the 737 Max plane (they are backing up too much on their inventory with sales on hold). This too looks like a software problem. If there was a human pilot on board, they might have recognized the problem and been able to make corrections.

The Boeing company is going to have to cut short the uncrewed demonstration flight of its new astronaut capsule.

The Starliner launched successfully on its Atlas rocket from Florida, but then suffered technical problems that prevented it from taking the right path to the International Space Station.

It appears the capsule burnt too much fuel as it fired its engines, leaving an insufficient supply to complete its planned mission.

Starliner will now come back to Earth.

A landing is expected at New Mexico's White Sands testing range on Sunday.

The craft will use parachutes and airbags to make a soft touchdown on desert terrain.

The Administrator of Nasa, Jim Bridenstine, said in a press conference that Starliner had experienced a timing "anomaly". This led the automated capsule to become confused over where it was in its mission sequence and prompting it to initiate an incorrect burn on its thrusters.

Flight controllers recognised the problem but were unable to intervene quickly enough because the capsule was passing between satellite links.

Mr Bridenstine remained upbeat, taking the positives out of the day's events.

"A lot of things went right," he said. "This is why we test."

The Administrator then suggested that had astronauts been in the capsule, they could have helped re-direct the craft to the space station.

Nasa astronaut Mike Fincke, who has already been selected to fly on a future Starliner, agreed with this assessment.

"Had we been on board, we could have given the flight control team more options on what to do in this situation," he said.

Not since 2011, when the shuttles were retired, have Americans launched from their own soil; US astronauts have been hitching rides in Russian Soyuz capsules instead.

The Starliner, and another capsule called Dragon from the SpaceX company, have been developed to reinstate the capability.

The business model will be different from the past, however.

Instead of owning and operating the new capsules, Nasa will simply buy seats in the craft. And Boeing and SpaceX will also be free to sell any spare capacity to others - to other space agencies and commercial concerns.

The agency "seeded" Starliner and Dragon under its Commercial Crew Program (CCP). The companies were given milestone payments to encourage the development of their capsules.

The vehicles are late, however; they should have been flying in 2017.

That they are still at the demonstration stage is due in part to Congress squeezing the amount of money Nasa could spend on the initiative. But also because of technical set-backs, such as the explosive destruction of a Dragon capsule on a test stand.

The SpaceX craft does look closer to entering service, though, after completing its own uncrewed trial in March. Whether Boeing will now have to repeat its test flight, going all the way to the station, before it can join Dragon on the "taxi rank" is uncertain. "I think it's too early to make that assessment," Mr Bridenstein said.

It's still possible Boeing and Nasa may decide to move directly to crewed flights.

Mike Fincke's Nasa astronaut colleague on the upcoming Starliner mission will be Nicole Mann. "We are looking forward to flying on Starliner. We don't have any safety concerns," she commented.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-20-2019 at 05:26 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Software and computers have bugs and errors. Who wouldda thunk?

The Administrator of Nasa, Jim Bridenstine, said in a press conference that Starliner had experienced a timing "anomaly". This led the automated capsule to become confused over where it was in its mission sequence and prompting it to initiate an incorrect burn on its thrusters.
    Lol. It was confused. Nice of them to put that in human terms.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I agree with you Zippy.

I wish you were on that capsule.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Software and computers have bugs and errors. Who wouldda thunk?

Lol. It was confused. Nice of them to put that in human terms.
    Boeing should hire American.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Senate kills moonshot, kicks Bridenstine in the butt on the way out, hands Boeing another $4 billion for the Senate Largess System (booster, Orion capsule, and new this year - an upper stage to nowhere.)

Meet the new boss - same as the old boss.

https://room.eu.com/news/senate-deal...moon-ambitions

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Senate kills moonshot, kicks Bridenstine in the butt on the way out, hands Boeing another $4 billion for the Senate Largess System (booster, Orion capsule, and new this year - an upper stage to nowhere.)

Meet the new boss - same as the old boss.

https://room.eu.com/news/senate-deal...moon-ambitions

XNN
    “Chi-na” —Donald J. Trump, predicting the next flag to be planted on the moon.

(this does make me sad)
    a comprehensive website about critical theory and how it's destroying our civilization: https://newdiscourses.com