Thread: Trump is not a lawyer - Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Trump is not a lawyer - Ruth Bader Ginsburg

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50829474

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has responded to Donald Trump's call for the top US court to stop impeachment.

"The president is not a lawyer," she told the BBC in an exclusive interview, adding: "He's not law trained."

In a wide-ranging conversation, she also said poor women were victims of restrictive abortion access.

The US president is expected to be impeached by the House of Representatives on Wednesday.

The House, controlled by the Democrats, accuses him of an abuse of power in his dealings with Ukraine.

Impeachment is like an indictment - the charges will then be sent to the Republican-controlled Senate for a trial, where senators act like jurors.

President Trump is expected to be acquitted there of the two charges he faces.

What did Ms Ginsburg say about impeachment?
    Earlier this month, the president suggested in a tweet that the Supreme Court could step in.

"Radical Left has NO CASE. Read the Transcripts. Shouldn't even be allowed. Can we go to Supreme Court to stop?"

When the BBC's Razia Iqbal asked the justice what her reading of the constitution was in this context, she replied: "The president is not a lawyer, he's not law trained."

Ms Ginsburg also implied that senators who display bias should be disqualified from acting as jurors in the trial.

There was criticism over the weekend of Mitch McConnell, who leads the Republican party in the Senate, for saying an acquittal was a foregone conclusion.

When asked about senators making up their minds before the trial, the Supreme Court Justice said: "Well if a judge said that, a judge would be disqualified from sitting on the case."

What did she say about abortion access?

"I think society needs to be more active on this issue," she said.

"And the truth is that with all these restrictive laws, the only people who are being restricted are poor women."

Women with the means to travel to other states to get abortions were able to, she added.

Poor women bear the brunt of states' laws that restrict access, she said.

"They normally can't pay a plane fare or the bus fare, they can't afford to take days off of work to go."

Why is Ruth Bader Ginsburg important?

President Trump has appointed two judges since taking office, and the current court is seen to have a 5-4 conservative majority in most cases.

Ms Ginsburg, 86, is the oldest sitting justice on the Supreme Court, and has received hospital treatment a number of times in recent years.

As the court's most senior liberal justice, her health is closely watched.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-17-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We would be much better off if Republicans had had the instincts to be immigration hawks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The quality seems to have dropped significantly since I came here, I guess you get what you pay for.
    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No he is not, thank God. If it was up to me I would ban all lawyers from government.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumba of Liberty View Post
    No he is not, thank God. If it was up to me I would ban all lawyers from government.
    What do you call 100 dead lawyers?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    a start?

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    a start?
    Ya gotta start somewhere.
    "The Patriarch"

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Trump is not a lawyer.

Water is wet.

Also Ginsburg is not a real estate agent.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Laugh all you want, but if you're going to have laws at all (and I realize some on this site don't want any), then they'll need to be carefully drafted and not violate the Constitution, something people without legal training aren't likely to be able to do.

You'll also need lawyers to serve as judges, because a non-lawyer won't know anything about procedural or evidentiary rules, not to mention the applicable law in a civil or criminal case.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Laugh all you want, but if you're going to have laws at all (and I realize some on this site don't want any), then they'll need to be carefully drafted and not violate the Constitution, something people without legal training aren't likely to be able to do.
    that's funny, because from what I've seen what you need a lawyer for is to violate the constitution but be weasly enough to get away with it. I think you could put a group of untrained people that have only read the constitution in a room and have more laws drafted that don't violate it, than a comparable room of laywers.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Funny how hysterical leftists are bc Gorsuch went on Fox but when the leftists go on Msnbc Colbert, etc and break norms by criticizing a president they think that is swell in their incoherent world.

Ms Ginsburg also implied that senators who display bias should be disqualified from acting as jurors in the trial.
    Thank god we heard from Darth Bader Ginsberg, the legal expert. Was that in the Constitution? What laws have been written about impeachment that support that claim? Who decides which Senators need to “recuse” themselves or be eliminated?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

What did Ms Ginsburg say about impeachment?

Earlier this month, the president suggested in a tweet that the Supreme Court could step in.

"Radical Left has NO CASE. Read the Transcripts. Shouldn't even be allowed. Can we go to Supreme Court to stop?"

When the BBC's Razia Iqbal asked the justice what her reading of the constitution was in this context, she replied: "The president is not a lawyer, he's not law trained."
    Thank you Captain Obvious. There is this guy named Judge Napolitano, who is legal trained, that said that the Chief Justice of The US (Roberts) could dismiss the case. That could be appealed via vote in the Senate, but they could then simply vote to let the dismissal stand.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

ustice Ginsburg has fired the latest salvo in the ongoing debate about the Court’s use of foreign and international law sources in constitutional adjudication. On Friday, she gave a speech to the International Academy of Comparative Law at American University, entitled “A decent respect to the Opinions of [Human]kind”: The Value of a Comparative Perspective in Constitutional Adjudication. Not surprisingly given her earlier opinions, Justice Ginsburg comes out strongly in favor of the Court’s use of foreign and international law materials to interpret U.S. law, including the Constitution. She begins with an historical defense:

http://opiniojuris.org/2010/08/02/justice-ginsburg-on-using-foreign-and-international-law-in-constitutional-adjudication/

https://townhall.com/columnists/shawnmitchell/2018/07/04/ruth-bader-ginsberg-and-the-us-constitution-n2497142
    Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer

Ⅎ˥ƎSWIH ˥˥I⋊ ⊥,NᗡIᗡ N
    IƎ⊥SԀƎ

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Ginsburg is also not a Supreme Court Justice.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Pretty sure one of them is RBG.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

A bunch of $#@!s.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Pretty sure one of them is RBG.
    No, she was recently spotted:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1552966186165-2.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	7297

Ⅎ˥ƎSWIH ˥˥I⋊ ⊥,NᗡIᗡ N
    IƎ⊥SԀƎ

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    long as "were" at war he can do ANYTHING he wants and they cant do squat

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Yeah, just like Kagan and Sotomayor recused themselves from Obergefell and Sebelius after showing bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Nancy admits she not a lawyer either but she dabbles with meds.

My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Nancy admits she not a lawyer either but she dabbles with meds.

She is bat$#@! crazy.

Ⅎ˥ƎSWIH ˥˥I⋊ ⊥,NᗡIᗡ N
    IƎ⊥SԀƎ

Short Income Tax Video

The fact that she thinks this is some kind of mark against him shows how out of touch she is. To be expected from an octogenarian, but still.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I think you could put a group of untrained people that have only read the constitution in a room and have more laws drafted that don't violate it, than a comparable room of laywers.
    The problem is that most people haven't read the Constitution and have no idea what's in it. In a survey done two years ago over a third of those polled couldn't name a single right protected by the First Amendment, and a third couldn't name a single branch of government. Even some who might have read it would still be convinced that it's OK to have forced prayer or recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools, to criminalize the burning of the American flag, or to require people to obtain a license before owning a firerm.

As for Trump, his ignorance of the Constitution is astonishing. See https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/...ion-ignorance/
    Last edited by Sonny Tufts; 12-18-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    She is bat$#@! crazy.
    The Botox has rot her brain.
    My website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” ~ Charles Dickens