Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My entire herd is dead.

Osan, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Our goats have become part of the family and to lose one is hard enough. I hope that you are able to determine what happend.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    3 most common things that come to mind: rodenticides, antifreeze, and some $#@!head with a bb gun

so...

any signs of bleeding at orifices / mucous membranes? if so rodenticides

have you checked farm equipment they had access to for antifreeze leaks?
    further confirmation would be low calcium/magnesium high potassium in blood; oddly acidic blood pH.

run a metal detector over the carcasses; sure way to find otherwise unseen wounds from small arms

another possibility... if perhaps you wish to do autopsy yourself

check the lungs

https://washingtonforensicsservices....nd-at-autopsy/

pneumonia is a leading cause of death in goats often arising from large swings in day to night temperature without adequate protection
    Last edited by presence; 12-17-2019 at 06:42 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Must have been poisoned. No violence apparent at all. They all look like they laid down and died peacefully.

My thoughts went to malice. Heaven help me if it is the case and I discover who, but I have no real reason to believe this to be so. I've put out no poisons or anything, so I am flummoxed.
    Well that's bizarre as hell. I can't imagine someone poisoning them, like Shifference said, they really aren't a nuisance. We raised them when I was a kid. Only the billies get nasty.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Lightning?
    I have known it to happen to cattle before.
    Do something Danke

Sorry for your loss I hope you can find out what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Are the necks all still fully intact ?

Everything looks fine, like they are asleep. It is poison, to be sure. The only question is how.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Sorry for your loss I hope you can find out what happened.
    Trying, but may see no joy.

I called Ag. to do a necropsy. They did one on Freddie for $20. They no longer do them. One can always count on the "state" to be there when you need them.

Not sure what to do - vet will skin me alive. May go to sheriff and see if they can get the people at the shelter to do it as part of a possible criminal investigation.

I cannot imagine anyone doing this, except the scum at Smith Concrete, but that's a stretch even for those pirates. They did, however, come to the house and threaten my wife's life while I was out. Cowards didn't have the guts to do it while I was there. Anyhow, I doubt it was them, but if it was an act of malice, I cannot fathom who or why because I am on good terms with all my neighbors.

Wife just got home... will tell her in the morning. If anyone feels earth tremors as if a nuke's gone off in WV, you'll know why.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Trying, but may see no joy.

I called Ag. to do a necropsy. They did one on Freddie for $20. They no longer do them. One can always count on the "state" to be there when you need them.

Not sure what to do - vet will skin me alive. May go to sheriff and see if they can get the people at the shelter to do it as part of a possible criminal investigation.

I cannot imagine anyone doing this, except the scum at Smith Concrete, but that's a stretch even for those pirates. They did, however, come to the house and threaten my wife's life while I was out. Cowards didn't have the guts to do it while I was there. Anyhow, I doubt it was them, but if it was an act of malice, I cannot fathom who or why because I am on good terms with all my neighbors.

Wife just got home... will tell her in the morning. If anyone feels earth tremors as if a nuke's gone off in WV, you'll know why.
    If you can take skin, blood,liver and hair samples from each goat and place them individually in a ziplock plastic bag and keep them in the freezer. I hope it doesn't happen again to some other farmer in our area but, if it does you will be able to provide the evidence you have gathered. Also maybe you could ask your vet for the name of a lab (or go online) that might be willing to give you a decent price to check a sample. The youngest goat most likely had the fastest metabolism which means if they were poisoned the youngest would be more likely to have it show up in more of the samples.

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Osan, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Our goats have become part of the family and to lose one is hard enough. I hope that you are able to determine what happend.

XNN
    Goats are horrible creatures because they make you love them as you would your own children.

The farm is SO quiet now. It doesn't feel right.

The day Bibi cane home, a predator killed half of our geese and ten roosters.

This is beginning to feel personal.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The day Bibi cane home, a predator killed half of our geese and ten roosters.

This is beginning to feel personal.
    Wow.

That's sad.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I guess, the liberty society will help up. Nobody wants to be seen like some welfare loather now, do they. You see, what I state about benefits. When the $#@! hits the fan, then what. I'm tired of the superior attitudes of some on here. Like I give a $#@! about anyone from some liberty group, who only intend $#@!ing over everyone else, in their deluded mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    I guess, the liberty society will help up. Nobody wants to be seen like some welfare loather now, do they. You see, what I state about benefits. When the $#@! hits the fan, then what. I'm tired of the superior attitudes of some on here. Like I give a $#@! about anyone from some liberty group, who only intend $#@!ing over everyone else, in their deluded mindset.
    Why do you come here? You're a miserable ball of inadequacy. If you don't give a $#@! why do you keep coming here? I can't imagine going through life being as miserable as you. Envy had hate are the only things you have.
    "The Patriarch"

I’m so sad for you. I’ve always lived in cities. I cannot imagine.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I have seen many craigslist ads in the "free" section for livestock. Maybe you could keep an eye out in your area and be able to replace at least some of your herd for free. I see goats and ducks all the time.

I hope you will find out what killed your goats so when you do replace them it won't happen again.

I have seen many craigslist ads in the "free" section for livestock. Maybe you could keep an eye out in your area and be able to replace at least some of your herd for free. I see goats and ducks all the time.

I hope you will find out what killed your goats so when you do replace them it won't happen again.
    Yes , he may be able to get some roosters too .
    Do something Danke

Did you get beat up a lot in grade school ?
    Do something Danke

I think that sounds better than it is. I would imagine that Osan's heard and other livestock was bred and perfected to his standards. It takes a long time to have self sustaining quality livestock. The free to good home on Craiglist are not going to rebuild his heard.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Makes me want to start a "chip in" just for osan's livestock, and for the sole purpose of proving you wrong.

The only problem is, unlike maggots like yourself, most liberty folks feel bad taking charity.

Now go play in traffic, $#@!.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Predators have always been a real threat to livestock. I live on the outskirts of the city. There is not lots of vacant land. However behind my home are woods. Bear, coyotes, raccoons..... who knows what else. When I had free range chickens, the coyotes would come in the winter when hungry and were fearless. If you scared them off, they would just calculate a new route and circle around from another direction to come back. During nicer weather you could watch the chicken hawks swoop down and attack at will. I remember old frontier style movies where ranchers would discuss how to deal with a relentless predator. If you are around vehicles, you are at risk of getting hit by a vehicle. If you live next to a stream, lake, river, ocean, you stand the risk of getting flooded. If you live in tornado alley.... If you raise livestock.... If you have children..... Life is a biatch. Chit happens all the time. If there were no problems life would be boring.

Send a Paypal link or someone set up a way to donate and I will chip in $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I think that sounds better than it is. I would imagine that Osan's heard and other livestock was bred and perfected to his standards. It takes a long time to have self sustaining quality livestock. The free to good home on Craiglist are not going to rebuild his heard.
    I have seen some mighty fine looking stock in these ads. Mostly from people who have some kind of health emergency or have to move for some reason. I got some chickens that were fine layers and a very cool rooster and I found a brand new never been used chicken house and chicken tractor as well.

I have seen some mighty fine looking stock in these ads. Mostly from people who have some kind of health emergency or have to move for some reason. I got some chickens that were fine layers and a very cool rooster and I found a brand new never been used chicken house and chicken tractor as well.
    I have not been so lucky. In my area free or inexpensive chickens are poor layers or past that stage. I wish him the best of luck. However, if he doesn't figure out the cause and execute preventative measures all he will be doing is enhancing the predators lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I have not been so lucky. In my area free or inexpensive chickens are poor layers or past that stage. I wish him the best of luck. However, if he doesn't figure out the cause and execute preventative measures all he will be doing is enhancing the predators lives.
    Some good sheepgoatdogs would be a help.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12