Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is Silver a good investment right now?

is Silver a good investment right now?

I've managed to save up enough to get a few kg's bars of silver so i'm wondering is it worth it or should I just buy one Kruggerand? I like the idea of balancing my portfolio a bit more.

So if not silver what should I do?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Silver is cheap now . I would suggest you have some smaller bars , maybe 10 oz and some old small gold coins less than 1/2 oz .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Silver is cheap now . I would suggest you have some smaller bars , maybe 10 oz and some old small gold coins less than 1/2 oz .
    What about paladium oyarde? Looking at the chart its in a bull market for like 10 years. Just massive increases. I might buy half an ounce.

The choice on what to buy will depend a lot upon your circumstances - what you already own, etc. If you buy silver, I would recommend as Oyarde said, to buy smaller bars (no larger than 10oz) or 1oz coins/rounds. You will pay a slight bit more in premiums (than 100oz bars or larger), but they are easier to sell (outside of coin shops / online dealers) should the need arise.

I sold a lot of silver bullion I had bought under 9.00 around 30.00 and reinvested it in Morgan dollars and 2 1/2 gold Indians etc . Most of what I have now I really do not intend to sell so I go with what I like , around here junk silver Merc dimes and Walking halves are about as popular as bars and rounds I think for that same reason.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    What about paladium oyarde? Looking at the chart its in a bull market for like 10 years. Just massive increases. I might buy half an ounce.
    We do not deal in it here , I know like three people who do in the whole state and they buy it at around 60 to 100 under spot . Any of it that gets bought around here usually gets wholesaled to Upstate Coin and Gold in NY ( Fayettville , wwwupstatecoins.com ) They list on the front page of the site what daily buy prices if you have an account with them . It is probably not as popular as it should be partly because the minting prices are so high over spot . But , yes , I think buying one to hold is OK. I know some guys who did the same with some 1/10 oz platinum coins .
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-09-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    Do something Danke

Most silver in shops currently was bought at 17.00 so a ten ounce bar would probably been priced around 180.00 or a dollar an ounce premium and that gets you out of shipping , of course somebody may be offering free shipping and looking is free.
    Do something Danke

Precious metals are speculation, not investment.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Back up the truck, and load up while it's cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

thanks guys i'm going to invest in some 10oz bars and see how it goes.

I really want to balance my portfolio so silver is a good idea I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

Gold and silver is definitely and investment. So is other precious things. Anything of value can be used as a bartering tool if need be.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Do you expect the economy to tank? Metals tend to move in the opposite direction from the economy- falling in good times and rising in bad.

Coins are generally easier to resell than bars.

Since some people like my charts:

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-09-2019 at 01:09 PM.

thanks guys i'm going to invest in some 10oz bars and see how it goes.

I really want to balance my portfolio so silver is a good idea I think.
    Keep at it and one day you can be a Tycoon like Zippy and I .
    Do something Danke

Keep at it and one day you can be a Tycoon like Zippy and I .
    My investments are mostly California real estate (my home which is paid for) and dividend paying utilities.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

Gold and silver is definitely and investment. So is other precious things. Anything of value can be used as a bartering tool if need be.
    Except that isn't an investment. It is speculation. Big difference.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    My investments are mostly California real estate (my home which is paid for) and dividend paying utilities.
    Collins might call that speculation , but yeah I like dividend paying utilities.
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Collins might call that speculation , but yeah I like dividend paying utilities.
    No, because that produces something if it is cashflowing.

PMs don't produce anything nor do they cashflow, they just sit there.

You can speculate on land if you buy it, hold it, and then wait for the price to go up before reselling it. But if you buy it and then turn around and rent it out that is no longer speculation, it is an investment. See the difference?

You can speculate on land if you buy it, hold it, and then wait for the price to go up before reselling it. But if you buy it and then turn around and rent it out that is no longer speculation, it is an investment. See the difference?
    I have land , some I rent , some I don't . At current property tax levels pretty sure my Grandfather would consider it all speculation.
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-09-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    Do something Danke

Can’t imagine silver has much downside at this point. Buy low, sell high, so they say.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Can’t imagine silver has much downside at this point. Buy low, sell high, so they say.
    Thats how I see it . An ounce of silver is about six gallons of gasoline . A high percentage of Americans have none at all but could buy a couple ounces a day in what they piss away eating out .
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-09-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Could always do "dollar cost averaging"- buying a fixed dollar amount at regular intervals- say $100 a month. If the price is low, you end up buying more. If the price is high, you buy less. Nobody can predict what the market will do.

Here's a good article from a valuation expert who tries to value gold. The TL : DR

https://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com...n-gold-as.html

As a complete novice in assessing the value of gold, here is how I see its value. As a stand-alone investment, I would not buy gold, given its history (of delivering low returns in the long term) and given how it is priced today. As insurance, though, I think it makes sense to add to your portfolio, even at today's prices. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist or paranoid about central banks to have legitimate fears that prices in financial markets, built upon uncommonly low interest rates, may collapse. I know that the price of gold as insurance is higher than it has been in the past, but the risks that you are insuring against are also much higher than they have been historically.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Could always do "dollar cost averaging"- buying a fixed dollar amount at regular intervals- say $100 a month. If the price is low, you end up buying more. If the price is high, you buy less. Nobody can predict what the market will do.
    Pretty much what I always did when I was younger with the exception that I picked a couple high points to stop at , say 27.00 and 1550.00 . At that point I only bought things with a certain percentage of numismatic value in say , raw MS60 .
    Do something Danke

Oh I agree everyone should have some bullion in a safe place for a SHTF scenario.... along with some food and tradeable goods, etc. It's just smart. But none of that is an investment.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh I agree everyone should have some bullion in a safe place for a SHTF scenario.... along with some food and tradeable goods, etc. It's just smart. But none of that is an investment.
    I bet you wish you were Ron Paul who 'invested ' in gold at $140 an ounce in the 1970's.

I bet you wish you were Ron Paul who 'invested ' in gold at $140 an ounce in the 1970's.
    Actually from my understanding he invested in gold mines.

Actually from my understanding he invested in gold mines.
    Ron Paul's holdings (64% in metal stocks- mostly miners) from 2011:

https://www.economicpolicyjournal.co...portfolio.html

Agnico Eagle Mines
    Allied Nevada Gold Corp.
    Alumina Common
    Anglo Gold Ashanti Ltd.
    BrigusGold Corp. Com MPV (formerly Apollo Gold Corp)
    Barrick Gold Corp.
    Claude Research Inc
    Coeur D'Alene Mines Corp.
    Dundee Bancorp
    First National Bank of Lake Jackson
    Gold Corp Inc
    Hecla Mining Co.
    El Dorado Gold Corp.
    IAM Gold Corp.
    Kinross
    Lexam Explorations Inc.
    Mag Silver Corp.
    Metalline Mining Co.
    Mutual Securities Inc.
    Newmont Mining Corp.
    Pan American Silver
    Petrol Oil and Gas
    Prudent Bear Mutual Fund
    Rydex Dynamic Venture
    Rydex-Ursa Mutual Fund
    Silver Wheaton Corp
    Texas Dow Employees Credit Union
    Texas Gulf Bank
    Virginia Mines Inc.
    Vista Gold Corp.
    Viterra Inc
    Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd.

Let's look from the time he was first elected to Congress in 1976. In November of that year (when the election would have taken place) gold was $600 an ounce. As of this moment, it is worth just under $1500 an ounce- a 40% gain in 43 years. There weren't any mining stock indexes back then so I can't really trace how well those have done since then. Gold price link: https://www.macrotrends.net/1333/his...100-year-chart

What about stocks? Let's us a broad index- the S&P 500. In November, 1976, it was 100. Today, it is 3,133- an increase of 3,100%. https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EGSPC?p=%5EGSPC

Metals don't pay any dividends which could be re-invested like stocks do so the return on stocks would be even higher if those were included.

It’s a commodity, a raw material, and an asset. It can be speculated on. It can be used to produce other products.

What Is an Investment?

An investment is an asset or item acquired with the goal of generating income or appreciation. In an economic sense, an investment is the purchase of goods that are not consumed today but are used in the future to create wealth. In finance, an investment is a monetary asset purchased with the idea that the asset will provide income in the future or will later be sold at a higher price for a profit.
    Investments and Speculation

Speculation is a separate activity from making an investment. Investing involves the purchase of assets with the intent of holding them for the long term, while speculation involves attempting to capitalize on market inefficiencies for short-term profit. Ownership is generally not a goal of speculators, while investors often look to build the number of assets in their portfolios over time.

Although speculators are often making informed decisions, speculation cannot usually be categorized as traditional investing. Speculation is generally considered higher risk than traditional investing, though this can vary depending on the type of investment involved. Some consider speculation more akin to gambling than anything else.
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/investment.asp
    A day trader is a speculator. A currency trader is a speculator.

An investment that has returns in addition to it’s asset value is good. An investment that actually grows is good. Commodities don’t do that. Their value will just go up or down.

And the price (not necessarily value) of everything will rise in comparison to a fiat currency that is being hyper-inflated.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 12-10-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Fiat currency and stocks etc. can become worthless, PM's will always have a good value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast